Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #1  
LLV

Default How low do you go?

Forgive me if this has been asked 100 times already, but I just recently started posting again and I didn't surf through the archives. Besides, I'm looking for fresh answers

I'd just like to know what everyone's carb count is for the day. Under 100? Under 50? How low do you keep your intake?

I personally try to keep it around 50-60 and I just started low-carbing it last Monday. So my other question is if you low carb for weight loss, how long did it take you to notice a change in weight? I do it mostly for sugar issues, but I'd love to drop a few pounds along the way as well and I haven't noticed any change at all.

Thanks!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #2  
LLV

98 views and not one reply? Okay, sorry, I guess maybe this question has been asked to death and people are tired of answering it.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Sorry, I am not much help. I just started doing low carb myself, so I am still working on the numbers that work for me. I have PCOS and low carb was recommended when I was diagnosed. Before I was just counting calories.
It seems to me that everyone has their own numbers, what works for their body.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
Forgive me if this has been asked 100 times already, but I just recently started posting again and I didn't surf through the archives. Besides, I'm looking for fresh answers

I'd just like to know what everyone's carb count is for the day. Under 100? Under 50? How low do you keep your intake?

I personally try to keep it around 50-60 and I just started low-carbing it last Monday. So my other question is if you low carb for weight loss, how long did it take you to notice a change in weight? I do it mostly for sugar issues, but I'd love to drop a few pounds along the way as well and I haven't noticed any change at all.

Thanks!
To answer your question, I think it depends on the low carb plan you are doing. I do Atkins (just celebrated 8 years last week). The first phase of Atkins (Induction) is 20 net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber) per day, with 12 to 15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salad on the acceptable foods list. The 2nd phase of Atkins (OWL - On Going Weight Loss), is when you would slowly add foods in 5 carb increments according to the carb ladder.
I don't believe there is any set number when it comes to a person continuing to lose or maintaining their loss...meaning, everyone is different. For some, it can be as low as 20-25 and for others it may be a lot higher.
I personally keep my carbs low and stick pretty much to the basics (absolutely no grains). Typically, I don't eat more than 40 carbs a day. This is what works for me but, as I said, it may not be what works for you.
As for how long it look me to see a change in weight, I was 245 pounds when I began Atkins and therefore had a lot of weight to lose so, I lost pretty quickly. Again, there really is no clear cut answer, it is different for everyone.
I hope this helps
All the best to you!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-20-2012 at 09:42 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #5  
LLV

Thank you so much for the answers so far. I know it's about finding ones own balance, but I was just curious what works for others

I have hypoglycemia and am at high risk for diabetes later in life, so my doctor suggested getting a handle on it now before it gets to the point of not being able to control it with diet alone anymore. And when I eat high carbs, I get too many crashes and I'll have no choice but to eat something again or take a glucose tab. So I've pretty much cut my carb intake in half. I don't count my carbs all the time, but when I do I average around 50-60 grams per day.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I've kept my net carbs (try to at least) at under 100. I eat an apple a day, jif (which has some sugars), some low carb atkin bars and veggies. I do not eat rice, sweet potatoes, bread, cereals, etc.

What I did find (as I did take my blood sugars for a few days) was that white potatoes did not raise my blood sugars (do for most people ) and quinoa didn't raise my blood sugars. Every other grain did. So, I just eliminated them.

When I started this my fasting blood sugars were 236. My a1c (looking at glucose on red blood cells was 6.8). I looked diabetic. BUT... my thyroid was also out of whack. I reduced my carbs, dropped weight, started exercising, got my thyroid better and now for the last 9 months my blood sugars have been perfect.

AND... in the last 4 months, my net carbs were more around 125 (though I still FEEL better with then under 100 and I'm lowering them again). Just got my lab work back yesterday - fasting blood sugar was 83, a1c was 5.2 Absolutely no sign of diabetes. Cholesterol was 189 - and I eat eggs, cheese, meat, etc. THough, I do eat most of my fats from nuts and olive oil.

So, I'm a firm believe in watching carbs - especially sugars. I find I gain water weight LIKE MAD when I eat sugars - like 3-4 pounds overnight kind of water weight. So, my body is just happier with keeping carbs lower - mostly sugar/grain carbs. fruits and veggie carbs are beneficial to the body in other ways (whereas bread? rice? not so much).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I've kept my net carbs (try to at least) at under 100. I eat an apple a day, jif (which has some sugars), some low carb atkin bars and veggies. I do not eat rice, sweet potatoes, bread, cereals, etc.

What I did find (as I did take my blood sugars for a few days) was that white potatoes did not raise my blood sugars (do for most people ) and quinoa didn't raise my blood sugars. Every other grain did. So, I just eliminated them.

When I started this my fasting blood sugars were 236. My a1c (looking at glucose on red blood cells was 6.8). I looked diabetic. BUT... my thyroid was also out of whack. I reduced my carbs, dropped weight, started exercising, got my thyroid better and now for the last 9 months my blood sugars have been perfect.

AND... in the last 4 months, my net carbs were more around 125 (though I still FEEL better with then under 100 and I'm lowering them again). Just got my lab work back yesterday - fasting blood sugar was 83, a1c was 5.2 Absolutely no sign of diabetes. Cholesterol was 189 - and I eat eggs, cheese, meat, etc. THough, I do eat most of my fats from nuts and olive oil.

So, I'm a firm believe in watching carbs - especially sugars. I find I gain water weight LIKE MAD when I eat sugars - like 3-4 pounds overnight kind of water weight. So, my body is just happier with keeping carbs lower - mostly sugar/grain carbs. fruits and veggie carbs are beneficial to the body in other ways (whereas bread? rice? not so much).
I'm not a big fruit eater, but I do try and eat as many veggies as I can.