Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Default 3rd shift depression

Has anyone ever heard of this..... if so, have you been treated?

I have been working 3rd shift for 1.5 years and I am really sad lately. I have NO desire to do a lot of the things I once really enjoyed. I ride a motorocycle and I used to ride it A LOT.... now I have to force myself to ride. Once I do ride, I feel better.... but as with a lot of daily activities I find I used to enjoy.... I just don't anymore.

Also, I feel envious of people who have a "normal" job.... or "normal" hours.

If anyone has suffered from this, please let me know.

I am trying to get more UV (sunbed) and activity...... as well as trying to keep my diet in check.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/196/145

Height: 5'5"

I imagine working odd hours could definitely lead to depression, because you don't get to socialize as much as you'd like; when everyone else is working opposite hours. My first bit of advice (being the wife of a Doc) is stay away from the tanning beds as they are the leading cause of melanoma. Try to get your sun on your days off or the hours that you are awake during daylight. Is there anyway you can change shifts? (I'm not sure what you do so forgive me for asking) Perhaps you can talk to a psych about your feelings, it sounds like you could benefit from meds and/or therapy. I know, none of us want to hear that but it is also important to get the help we need.
allforHisglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

I have been working third shift for the past 6 years. Although I'm not required to stay awake, I can't sleep on a little old lady couch in someone else's house. The woman I take care of has Alzheimer's, she sleeps well enough but sometimes has "accidents", is sick, wakeful, etc.. I know how you feel. I used to be very active, now the very idea of going to the gym exhausts me.

I'm also extremely envious of people with "normal" hours. I work 4 nights a week so I get to sleep in my own bed 3 nights, which is really stinky especially since I just got engaged and I can't even sleep with my fiance' as often as I'd like. Even when I do have a night off I have to medicate myself to get a good nights sleep. I'm very sound sensitive after working nights. If I hear any noise, I'm up!!

I also get depressed because my fiance' and friends all work during the day so I'm stuck home alone doing homework or studying (did I mention I'm also a fulltime student?) and head into work when everyone is ready to go out for dinner and drinks and do all the fun things.

I don't know how to make it much better except to maybe change jobs but I can't afford to not keep this job and switch it out for one that I would make less money at. It works out because I'm free during the day to take classes. Hopefully someday all the hard work and the sleep deprivation will be worth it.
Sorry this isn't helpful, it more or less turned into a rant! (sorry!) But I feel your pain!! Good luck!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Shift work can really mess you up...for years in my case. I worked late 2nd and/or 3rd shifts for many years. Now, even as a stay at home mom I just can't get out of the cycle and get on a normal sleep schedule. I have tried. But, I always gradually end up right back to night owl.

It can cause depression, weight gain, and probably make other existing conditions worse. It taxes your body and is just unnatural to be out of the normal circadian rhythms.

I don't think I ever really envied people with other shifts because I chose to work the shifts I did. We didn't have to pay for child care by working opposite shifts.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #5  

Mrs. Docrocks..... I am a 911 dispatcher, until last week I worked 2 full time jobs, traditionally I am a medical coder (neurosurgery- 10 years). My neurosurgeon moved his office and it was not practical for me to move with him (he moved 2 hours away). I knew he was moving so I was transitioning into law enforcement...... but it is taking a HUGE toll on my body. Not only am I depressed, but my stomach is having really big issues, I was told at one time I had ulcerative colitis and if that is the problem it is in full blown rage and has been for a few months. I have a test next Monday to see what is going on. Btw, my neurosurgeon has asked me to not go to the sunbed also.... I was just grasping straws.

Vixxi, its okay that you ranted... it is very hard. When my children were young I "thought" I would like to work 3rds, but it is NOT easy.

I am waiting to see what this Monday brings with the test on my stomach.... it maybe that I have to give up law enforcement and go back to coding.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #6  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Oh Tammy!! I'm so sorry that it's gotten to this point. Your poor stomach too. I know all too well the 'not enjoying anything' anymore feeling. And you've worked so hard for the entry in law enforcement. Nothing helpful from me, just tons of sympathy and hoping the stomach issue can be helped.

(some empathy for night workers - I worked from midnight to 8 a.m. for less than a year, and how I hated it!! I remember the resentment I would feel, on the way to work, passing houses that were dark with the folks snug and asleep..poor people, they didn't know some deranged woman was hatin on them as she drove by)
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #7  

Thank you Holly..... you know it is serious when I think of getting rid of Ms. Dyna and not riding at all.... lol. I did commit to DH I would keep her and let her sit in the shed until this passes.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #8  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

YES that does show seriousness!! Tammy I know I've had times that my mood changed for the better even by just one moment...please keep Ms. Dyna on hold in the shed, so she will be ready for you when you are!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/220/170

Height: 5'6"

Hello,
I work 5pm-130a (usually more line 230) and have done so for the last 3years. I've always worked mids or nights, and for me, working mornings is a nightmare. Mostly because I am used to a later shift. When i have to go into work for meetings at 8am, I am a true zombie.

However, the only suggestion I can give you is to go see a counselor if you can. Sometimes just having someone to rant and rave to about the shift schedule helps. Also shift disorder is an actual condition now. They may have medications at least to help with the sleeping problem.

But perhaps, your only solution may be to find another job or schedule.

I know my fellow co-worker who works 9p-4a has reached her breaking point as well. She's trying to leave her position for another one at this point. And she has kids, and a family, so her sleep is very limited.

You just need to make the choice that will be right for you.
ishygal is offline   Reply With Quote