South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 05:02 PM   #1  

Question Newbie Question: Cooking for 1 Person??

Hi there! I'm about to embark on the SBD and have been busily preparing my shopping list. However, since most of the recipes are for more than 1 serving, and I am single, I'm just wondering if I should just halve the recipe sizes. It would be a lot easier to just make the recipes as they are printed and then reheat the leftovers for other days in the week, but since I'm just starting out I kind of want to stick to the plan exactly as it is laid out in the book.

Just wondering whether anyone out there has gone through a successful Phase 1, while eating leftovers instead of making a new dish every night? Or have most people followed Phase 1 to a tee?

I'm probably overthinking this one, but I want to start out with a bang!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2003, 06:01 PM   #2  
Captain of MY Destiny!

elxr71-I don't think I know of anyone who followed the book exactly! I know I sure didn't! The book is great to get an idea of what kinds of meals work, but Dr. Agatson even says they are just ideas and you don't need to follow them exactly.

You will save yourself a lot of time and trouble if you do make the recipes and just save half of it. You need to make this as easy on yourself as possible, and having to cook half as often will go a long way towards that! The easier a WOE (way of eating) is, the easier it will be to stick to! Plus you can substitute things you like to eat for others that you don't.

I suspect that the people who have been most successful on SBD have tailored the plan to fit them, making adjustments as they go long (within the acceptable choices, of course!)

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2003, 07:09 AM   #3  
In Control: E+R=O

Hi elxr71,

I am also single, and cook for one (well, unless you count my two dogs, who always think they should have at least a taste of what I'm cooking! )

I have made some of the recipes in the book, and when I do I make them just as they are. Then I have leftovers for then next day or two....cooking is not my favorite activity, and if I can get out of cooking every day I'm a happy beacher!! Some days I just use the acceptable foods list and concoct my own meals, without following any recipes.

Like Franny said, most people don't follow the menu laid out in the book. As long as you stay with the acceptable food list, and keep your portions (of meals and snacks) appropriate, you'll do fine!

Good luck!!! And be sure to come here to post often, this is a great place for support and friendship!
Old 08-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #4  

Frannymae & Twodogmom,

Thanks for your advice. Of course, it makes absolute sense! I guess I am just so excited about starting the program, that I've lost sight of the big picture. I need to take a chill pill!

And Franny, you are so right! If this is going to work and become a lifestyle change, I have to make it as easy and pain-free as possible.

Thanks to both of you! This is such a great sight for support and encouragement - two things you can never have enough of.

-Christina
Closed Thread