Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default How do you work out?

Hey there. I'm new! Just joined up today. I've been heavy all of my life and I'm ready to get rid of all of that, after having my son my weight was in the 200's and I never want to see a '2' on the front of my scale ever again!

Anyway! My computer glitched out a bit so if 2 slightly different versions of this post, I'm sorry ._. I'm having to retype.

Okay, sorry, anyway (again)
When I'm at the gym I do about 30 mins on the elliptical (I stay around 11 calories per minute) and then I spend some time with the free weights. I've lost about 20 pounds doing that.

I had a personal trainer I met with monthly at vision quest but they wouldn't answer any of my questions.

I get really overwhelmed with gym equipment for some reason. Even though I know how to use most of it. The stuff at Vision Quest was great but the new gym I started everything is so heavy just to start out (before you even add weights!) that I've been having a really hard time getting a good work out before I hurt in the bad way. Not the good fat-burning way, but the 'my shoulder blades feel like they're going to crack under the weight of this hack-squat thing' kind of bad.

Sorry for the rant.

What do you do to work out? I'm trying to find a routine that will get me nice and sore. What do you do at home/without equipment? Do you do squats? Lunges? How many? How many times a week?

I just get so overwhelmed! And then I quit ._.
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

I am doing Jillian Michael's 90 Day Body Revolution (but modified, only 3x a week instead of 6x) for at-home exercise. Then usually 2 days a week, I goto the gym for an aerobic class. My favs are kickboxing and zumba.

Gym equipment bore me to tears. I can never get myself into it despite trying different tactics (audiobooks, music, watching tv, etc). It's usually a last resort exercise for me.
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #3  

Gym equipment is really boring, I agree. I'm going to look into that! Have you had success with it so far?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on the 20lbs!

I do different things each day:

Sunday - Spin class with weights
Monday - bodyweight training at the playground
Tuesday - Spin, weights, kickboxing class
Wednesday - Weight Training
Thursday - Rest
Friday - sometimes jogging, sometimes a rest day
Saturday - Heavy weight training, spin class or zumba class.

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-21-2012 at 10:56 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #5  

Thank you :]

I see you've lost 85? That's incredible. Congratulations.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #6  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I haven't worked out in a couple of months because I've been ill and post-surgery twice and am not yet allowed (can't believe it's me saying this, but I miss it terribly!), but before that I worked out pretty regularly. I was pretty boring though.

I ran 5km twice a week followed by 20 minutes of elliptical at the gym and did 1hr or usually more of workout DVDs (99% of the time kickboxing) 5-6 times a week at home. Why this? Because it's what I was willing to demand stick with. I fell in love with kickboxing and MMA DVDs and they made me want to work out. Have I tried other things? Yes. I don't like classes, I'm not a fan of lifting, I don't do well with people telling me what to do. But I do recognize that my regimen is probably boring.

The point I'm trying to make is try different things. Find out what you like or at least don't hate and will stick to. Working out doesn't have to mean forcing yourself to into some specific workout mold. The best workout is the one you enjoy and will actually want to do. Your questions seemed mostly strength-training related. For clues on lifting, "The New Rules of Lifting For Women" is pretty good. I don't lift but it doesn't change the fact that it's a really informative book on strength training for women. BodyRock tv (bodyrock.tv) has excellent daily exercise routines (something new everyday) that show food form and are pretty food mix of cardio and strength that you can do at home without much/any equipment.

Congrats on losing 20lbs!!! You're well on your way, just keep going!

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 04-22-2012 at 02:41 PM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #7  

Great, thank you!

I'm just such a, I dunno how to put it, routine-based person. I like to know exactly what I need to do exactly how many times a week, and what result I'll see, exactly. Which I know is a little outrageous and a bit much to hope for.

I'm going to check out everything you suggested right now! Thanks so much :]
Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #8  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Free weights are amazing! If you're interested in continuing with them, check out Starting Strength for a novice program. Many others here also swear by The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I'm working through Starting Strength right now and usually do it 2-3 times per week.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #9  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Currently I'm doing Bikram yoga about 4 times a week and then I'm also doing the Couch to 5 K challenge which means 30 minutes or so of run/walk (each week it goes up a bit on the running) and then resistance training. Sometimes I do two things in a day, once a week I do nothing except go for a walk or take my son to the pool (I have to do something). Sometimes I do aqua aerobics or elliptical or bike at the gym as well. Very occasionally I'll swim.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 153/147.6/130

Height: 5'4"

For working out I mostly take ballet classes or yoga. Sometimes I walk/jog. I also like some workout videos. The one I have used on and off is I want those abs/arms/buns. It is from the buns of steel lady. Cheesy I know but it has nice 15 minute segments.

Many years ago I used to belong to a gym and all the weight equipment was intimidating for me. Since I already pay for yoga and ballet, I'm not going to pay for a gym membership too. I have some light weights at home that I use with my workout videos.

I noticed a lot of exercise videos at half price books. I might have to look through some of those myself.

Do they have some sort of toning classes at the gym?
LilacGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #11  

I think I'm definitely going to start looking into some at-home videos. I'd really like to find one I don't have to purchase weights for.

The gym I'm at at now doesn't offer anything like that. It's kind of odd, it's an unstaffed 24 hour gym, so basically you pay fifty dollars a month and you get a little entrance code. You go in, work out and leave.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #12  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I have to say, I hate the elliptical...I just get so bored I focus on nothing but it being over haha. I would definitely look into fitness videos - let me know what type you are into, I can hopefully give you some suggestions if you want. I'm used to be a video junkie. Now I alternate b/w running and heavybag kickboxing/crossfit.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote