Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/149/135

Height: 5'7

Default Before or After?

When's the best time to exercise? Before or after you eat? For example, if I want to work out before i go to work in the morning, is it better to do it before or after I eat breakfast? Just wondering which will have the best results.
thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 03:54 PM   #2  

Hi Trendle I don't know the answer but I can tell you what I do I eat after my exercise when I do it in the morning before work. But my best friend eats before her exercising so there you go! I don't eat as it makes me feel nauseous but as soon as I'm out of the gym/pool I eat a piece of fruit. Not sure about the results I've lost 23lbs since the end of May 03 so something's working
Anyway good luck

Dee
Old 08-14-2003, 06:55 PM   #3  
Om shanti

Some exercise can only be done before eating; yoga comes to mind. Most other exercise, from my experience, is best done after having just a little something: specifically, for me, a protein shake.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:39 PM   #4  
It's a long way to fall..

Well from what I heard, if you do anything where you want to gain muscle, you need to eat soemthing high in protien right after you work out.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:58 AM   #5  

Hi, usually when you eat depends on what kind of exercise you are doing and when it is done. I usually try to get my cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. Your body, after sleep, is pretty much in a catabolic stage, prime for losing fat. This is WHEN you want to lose weight. Some might argue that if you are trying to put on muscle, then anything more than 30 minutes of cardio in the morning would be counter-intuitive to that. Some even take BCAAs(Branched Chain Amino Acids) to help with that.

To me, and many others, the most important thing after working out, whether it be the gym or doing some cardio, is to replenish your empty "fuel" stores in your body. High levels of protein and mid level carbs are a great way to do that. This helps with that "burn out" feeling some experience after working out. By replenishing your fuel stores in your body, you are allowing your body to keep working at its maximum efficiency throughout the day, AND, helping your metabolism to keep rolling and burning fat.

Hope this helps
Old 08-22-2003, 09:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

In the morning, I walk and then I eat. It's never really dawned on me why. I just know that I can only walk when my daughter is asleep, so I try to get that time in. Eating breakfast, I can do with her, of course. But in order to really get my heart rate up, I need to walk alone...so, I eat afterwards.
Closed Thread