Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #1  

Thumbs up Holy WORKOUT!! I love biking!

I've been running for a while. My boyfriend just lended me his old bike so I decided to try out biking for a cardiovascular exercise. I took it on the trail and it was so much fun, pedaling and going faster. My legs began to burn more and more especially going uphill. I barely felt my heart pounding but whenever I stopped to take a sip of water or change a song I sure did feel it. My heart was POUNDING. There is absolutely no workout like it. If you have a bike or plan on getting one, know that it is DEFINITELY worth it!!
healthynewme95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

It ROCKS. I'm envious because my bike is in the shop right now
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea2 View Post
It ROCKS. I'm envious because my bike is in the shop right now
Yes!! You enjoy yourself so much it barely feels like an exercise until you stop, slow down or get off. My legs are JELLO!! Better get your bike back soon!
healthynewme95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I'm going to get a new bike soon. I had one but it's disappeared in between my parents moving out of their house and my brother buying it and moving in his family. It's probably lost in the big garage or barn but he insists my mom's is the only one in there. Unfortunately, I need a kids bike so I can't use that one. Oh well. I'll just get something else. I found some pretty good kids bikes.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

Cycling is such fun exercise, even when it's just leisure! I can't wait until the weather is a bit warmer. I have a road bike and just love going on long rides.
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

I love it too. I am going on week 2 of riding my bike.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/216/150

Height: 5'8"

I can beat biking- I have a TRIKE!
Seriously. It's a tricycle for adults. It's not a recumbent bike, it's actually a shiny, Schwinn tricycle. They're pretty cool. I like to think they look "European." They have a huge basket on the back, and I can do all my grocery shopping with it! I also feel more comfortable riding on major streets with it because it feels more stable and I'm terrible at balance. The only thing about it is you can't put it on the back of your car or throw it in your backseat. It's a little big. But man, I'm telling you, a couple miles on that thing is pretty intense.
MarjorieMargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjorieMargarine View Post
I can beat biking- I have a TRIKE!
Seriously. It's a tricycle for adults. It's not a recumbent bike, it's actually a shiny, Schwinn tricycle. They're pretty cool. I like to think they look "European." They have a huge basket on the back, and I can do all my grocery shopping with it! I also feel more comfortable riding on major streets with it because it feels more stable and I'm terrible at balance. The only thing about it is you can't put it on the back of your car or throw it in your backseat. It's a little big. But man, I'm telling you, a couple miles on that thing is pretty intense.
Trike? Got Pics? Do tell..............

Last edited by LAgreeneyes; 06-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #9  

Does cycling work the lower abs? Anyone know?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #10  

I just looked it up..........

Quote:
Upper Legs
The upper legs are the primary part of the body worked while bicycling. The quadriceps, a group of four muscles on the front of the thigh, are of particular importance. These muscles act as powerful knee extensors and are activated with each downward push of the pedal. The gluteus maximus, located on the posterior hip, is another important bicycling muscle. This muscle is engaged when pushing the pedal through the lowest position. A group of muscles on the back of the thigh known as the hamstrings are also used while bicycling to bend the knees.

Lower Leg
Bicycling has the potential to really work the calf muscles of the lower leg. This is determined by where your foot is positioned on the pedal. If the front part of your foot is on pedal, then you will work your calves significantly more than if the back part of your foot is on the pedal. The average person pedals with the middle of the foot, which will give your calves a moderate workout.

Shoulders and Arms
While your lower body is putting in most of the effort required to power your bike, your shoulders and arms are still a necessity. These body parts are used not only to steer and brake the bike but also to support your upper body, especially if you're using a racing bike.

Core
Although not worked to the point of fatigue, the muscles of your core are used while bicycling. Your core includes the muscles of your back and abdomen, all of which are necessary to stabilize your torso in the upright position. Whether you're hunched over on a racing bike or sitting tall while taking a Sunday ride on your single-speed bike, this part of the body will be worked.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/41...#ixzz1wrdFHhwu

Last edited by LAgreeneyes; 06-04-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/216/150

Height: 5'8"

Ah...shoot. I have a new account and it won't let me post links or images. Needless to say, if you google "26 inch schwinn tricycle adult" the image pops right up. Mine's blue.
MarjorieMargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #12  

Quote:
Ah...shoot. I have a new account and it won't let me post links or images. Needless to say, if you google "26 inch schwinn tricycle adult" the image pops right up. Mine's blue.

Oh good. I will google it now. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #13  

Quote:
I just saw it and I love it. I WANT ONE !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 233/201.8/150

Height: 5'4"

My husband and I just got bikes and we are lucky enough to have a paved bicycle trail right near our house. The trail goes for hundreds of miles but we are starting slow also alot of state parks have bicycle trails as well, we have been visiting different state parks on the weekends to try some out. Marjorie, I saw oine of those trykes, they rent them out at one of the state parks, they are really cool. I also think its alot more fun to burn calories and it burns about the same calories as walking on the treadmill.
stlrsgrl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #15  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

I just started using by bicycle last week and I loved it! Not sure if I got a hard work out since I was at a leisurely pace, but I did like it a lot :0
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote