Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 10:15 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Leaving for vacation--Looking for tips!

Well, we are having several of my daughter's friends overnight, then I take them home, and we pack and take off for the Wisconsin Dells.
I'm looking for info on the kinds of things that can sabotage me while away from home -- I've already thought of the heavy grease in "family-style" restaurants, and how much I enjoy the sausage and biscuits at Bob Evans!
I am taking my bathing suit, and I'm hoping to find good pools, but I know most of them will be filled with happy, shrieking children!
And lots of ibuprofin, so I can walk even with my bad knees!

Anyone been there?
Old 08-14-2003, 10:40 AM   #2  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Most places have things like grilled chicken sandwich's and salads. I know bob evans has healthy choices on there menu. If it were me I would allow myself a couple of meals off plan but would stick to it for the most part. I have a really hard time getting back on a diet after being on vacation. So now I am no longer going to go off plan on vacation. I will just stick to my one treat night a week.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:40 AM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Wisconsin Dells - fun in the sun! Have a great trip!!! Enjoy yourself - make up a rule - you can't have burger and fries.. but you can have a burger and a salad. Keep lots of water on hand... and walk everywhere!

Have Fun!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:03 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

There is no Bob Evans in the Dells. There is, however, Paul Bunyan's. Do not eat there. You must trust me on this.

You can get really great halibut w/raspberry sauce @ the Lighthouse restaurant, it is where the strip meets Main Street, not far from the Taco Bell & Burger King. They also have kid-friendly food there, too.

Field's Restaurant is good, as is the Mexican place in the pink building by Noah's Ark.

You can get a veggie pizza & a salad @ the Pizza Pub & I do believe Family Chef restaurant has a salad bar.

Almost every hotel/motel there has a pool, some are on Lake Delton or right on the river. There are also 3 waterparks: Family Land, Noah's Ark & the other one. Family Land is just as it sounds, Noah's Ark used to be a real meat market, might not be anymore. I think the other one is called Waterworld. I could stay @ the Lazy River allllll day @ Family Land.

Then there are all the hotels w/indoor waterparks.

You can't forget all the mini-golf places, the haunted house, The Wonder Spot (gravity is weird there, gotta check it out), the helicopter rides, Xanadu, the fishing pond, the go-kart race place, bungee jumping, olde tyme picture studio, etc.

There is a lot of shopping on Main Street, and also the boat tours. Upper Dells, Lower Dells, and the original WI ducks. That is worth it if you've never seen it before, but boring for kids I suppose. They even have a small movie theater on Main St. You can get a lot of walking in.

My favorite thing is the Rexall Drug. I am the drugstore queen, I love seeing all the products they have there that they don't have here.

You will have a good time. There is SOOOO much to do there. I want a full report when you get back & don't forget the sunscreen!

For those of you who have no idea what we're talking about:

http://wisdells.com/

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 08-14-2003 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:47 PM   #5  

Thanks, all. I think that haliput w/raspberry sauce sounds pretty good, even to my husband. I'll take notes for y'all.
I can't tell you how much fun it was to have 3 overnight guests during a blackout. Cookouts, as the electric stove wasn't working, and we had cold cuts and hot dogs. However, I was virtuous enough to eat a salad with my grilled hot dog. I am the proud possessor of at least 15 mosquito bites. Sure hope I don't get West Nile while we're away.

We swapped our frozen food for gallons of bottled water on the second day, as they were saying we wouldn't have power until, likely, Monday -- then this AM we had power back.
God, the air feels so good!
My exercise schedule is all messed up, but at least I had a bath today.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:21 AM   #6  
on my way down!

Have a great trip!!
Old 08-23-2003, 11:35 PM   #7  

Well, we just got home. I shared two desserts with my husband, but aside from that stayed away from sweets.
The first morning we went out to breakfast. I was determined to have fresh fruit and toast. Unfortunately, the only fruit in the place was in a sugar bath, so I ate a big bowl of applesauce -- but it had sugar in it. And a 2-egg omelet, and a small glass of orange juice. This cost 10 dollars.
So after that, we took advantage of the refrigerator in the room and bought plain fatfree yogurt, freeze-dried stawberries and grapenuts. This is a healthy, inexpensive breakfast. I also only ate part of my dinners, and had the leftovers for lunch with a side salad (also bought a bag of salad greens, and some fat-free dressing).
It was over 90 everyday, so my exercise was concentrated mostly in swimming pools, and my weigh-in isn't until tomorrow AM, but I'm certain I didn't gain anything.
That's pretty good with a family that thinks the four food groups are fried chicken, ice cream, cake, and cocoa puffs! We discussed healthy a lot, and I'm having some impact on my husband, although my daughter is still just getting the idea of what I'm talking about.
Great to be home!
Old 08-24-2003, 01:50 AM   #8  
missaprylj

Default Yay!

Sounds like you did a *GREAT* job on your vacation. I think that you are more proof that going on a vacation but staying OP is 100% possible, it just takes (A LOT OF) planning! Congratulations! -Apryl

Old 08-24-2003, 02:36 AM   #9  

Congratulations on staying mostly OP. It's very hard to do there. Glad you had a good time. Did you wave to me as you drove past Milwaukee?
Old 08-24-2003, 07:45 AM   #10  

You should be VERY proud of yourself!! That is a huge accomplishment that you stayed so OP on vacation. For me, a vacation usually becomes very much about the food. I'm already worried about the trip to California that we're taking in November. Keep up the GREAT work!!!
Old 08-24-2003, 05:01 PM   #11  

Thanks so much for the positive reinforcement, guys!
I guess I sort of expected to post, and not get any response. It never occurred to me that I might actually be making friends.
Yes, I did wave as I went past Milwaukee on the way there. My husband asked what I was doing, and I said Oh, just that nice lady who had the food suggestions. We did stay out of Paul Bunyan; it looks from the outside like the sort of place where I could consume 2500 calories in one meal!

I liked Field's Restaurant very much. The food was cooked as though someone were doing it at home, not like a restaurant at all. The portions are too large, but I was feeling virtuous, so that was not a problem. And we went to Mexicali Rose. By the grace of God, I wasn't feeling very hungry so I just ordered an appetizer. I couldn't even finish it! My husband and daughter each got plates that were twice as large. They couldn't finish theirs, either.
We also liked Marley, which has Caribbean food -- but if you like jerk, be sure to ask for extra sauce. Theirs is on the bland side.

I weighed this AM, and it looks like I'm down about .5 lb. My first successful vacation; I guess one can burn more calories in a wave pool than I thought.

Mthrgoos, where in California. Last year we went to San Diego; one thing I can say is that the all-you-can-eat buffet was almost all salad! I've never been anywhere like that before.

Well, I'm going to try this signature thing.

290/263.5/250/160
SW/CW/STG/LTG

Last edited by KristasMom; 08-24-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:54 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally posted by KristasMom
Thanks so much for the positive reinforcement, guys!
I guess I sort of expected to post, and not get any response. It never occurred to me that I might actually be making friends.
But of course you will make friends! We are a pretty friendly bunch. I'm glad you had such a good time.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:55 PM   #13  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Hey, good for you! We'll be needing your support at the end of September when we head down to Kentucky for a get-together with our Davesgarden.com friends. They don't just play in the dirt...These folks know how to cook! And eat!

I think it's easier to stay on diets when you go to restaurants -- Potlucks are vicious! LOL
Closed Thread