Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #1  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Default 4 weeks with no change?

I've never made a post like this but I'm getting frustrated. I've been doing pretty well for 4 weeks. Fitday is listing my average for calories at 1337 but I am missing four days. I don't know if it factors in 0 for those days or ignores them all together? I think it ignores them but I am not certain? Both Fitday and Livestrong tell me I can eat 1400 a day and lose 1lb per week but I was trying to keep it closer to 1300 per day. I've had a few higher and a few lower.

I have lost 5lbs since this time last year but that's about it. So it isn't a matter of being in a plateau. I haven't really been on the wagon for a while. I was basically maintaining with a few weeks of loss.

I have fibromyalgia which does give me quite a bit of trouble so I don't exercise a lot. I'm averaging 2-3 times per week. Walking, hiking, strength training, kayaking and I did some tree climbing this week (which is probably harder than it sounds especially when you are clinging to the ropes for dear life ).

In the last 4 weeks I am down 1lb and no inches. None. Actually, it looks like I'm up a little (maybe a bit of water since I pushed myself a lot this week?). My clothes aren't fitting any differently than they did a month ago. I do think my butt looks a little different which is good...but I could just be delusional. I've had blood work done recently so if there are any sort of problems they aren't showing.

I'm also absolutely starving every single day. I've never felt like this before. Sure I would get hungry when I was in a calorie deficit but not this kind of hungry. It never goes away and it's a gnawing hunger. It's even affecting my sleep. I eat plenty of fat. I get in protein. I do eat a few processed foods like Amy's organic burritos and Jasmine rice. I mostly stay away from sugar. I do need more vegetables that is for sure. I'm gluten free so I stay away from pasta and things of that nature. I do occasionally have a potato. I like to keep my carbs under 100g or at least under 125g. They have been a little high the past few days so I'll be more careful there. I never eyeball. I use my kitchen scale for everything but liquids and those goes into a measuring cup or measuring spoon.

I'm starting to feel very blah. Sore throat, more ache than usual and very fatigued. I've had fibro for at least 11 years so I know when I'm flaring and this feels like I'm flaring. I feel like I could sleep 24 hours a day (but of course I can't sleep!). Because of this increasing exercise is out of the question. I wish I could but I know from experience I can't.

So now, do I just keep doing what I'm doing and wait? Or should I make some changes?

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 04-19-2012 at 01:33 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Re the gnawing hunger - eat! You can have veggies pretty much unlimited and barely effect your calories, plus all the benefits of veggies! Have some snow peas (my personal fave), bell peppers (all colors), carrots, cucumber, on and on! I snack on these throughout the day and it helps so much.

Maybe you do need to add some more calories too. Some more lean protein or something like that. If you are 100% sure you calorie counts are as dead on as they can be, it wouldn't hurt to up them to 1500!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/175/140

Height: 5'4

If you are not feeling well and you are always hungry, you are probally not eating enough. I was told that if you are not eating enough, you will not lose weight--your body holds onto the nutrients it is getting.

Add more veggies. And lean protein (eggs, chicken) and fiber helps fill you up too.
Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well what weigh are you at? Are you closer to a healthy weight for your body or in the higher side?

Whenever I feel rundown like that it is time for me to bump up my calories a bit with more fat, in particular, and coast for a week to let my body rest a bit. If you're eating 1300 calories going up to 1600 for a week might be wise, until you feel a bit better. If you have fibro already you are prone to inflammation and immune responses, in general, and stressing your body with a calorie deficit when it it already showing signs of stress in how you feel and your energy level isn't very wise.

Thus, a whole-foods approach - meats and dairy if you can tolerate a little, lots of fresh veggies and fruits, fat to accompany - is going to nourish your body well while you heal.

When you feel back to normal, you can drop your calories and commence losing again, but not until then! If you overdo it you're not helping yourself lose weight OR gain health, you know?

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-19-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Well what weigh are you at? Are you closer to a healthy weight for your body or in the higher side?
I'm 133 so still in the middle I guess. My goal right now is at the high end for what is considered healthy for my height.

Quote:
Whenever I feel rundown like that it is time for me to bump up my calories a bit with more fat, in particular, and coast for a week to let my body rest a bit.
I do eat a lot of fat. Eggs everyday (with the yolks), full fat dairy, butter, olive oil, occasional coconut oil (I'd rather put it on my face than eat it though). I think maybe I'll bump up to 1500 for a few days. Maybe I'll feel a little better? I haven't felt normal since...well never...but maybe it'll give me a little boost. After that...I don't know.

Just went for a walk and I swear some kid called me a big whale. That's exactly what it sounded like to me anyway. Just the confidence boost I needed for today.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 04-19-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #6  
Back with a story

Excellent! Your diet sounds fine, except for the admitted shortage of veggies. Add in a big, colorful salad and and a little more meat/dairy and bump yourself up 200-300 calories until you feel better and you'll be fine. Slow losses are going to happen, especially as your weight gets lower, but you should still be seeing movement on the scale with your weight and height.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #7  
Hug a Tree!

Quote:
Slow losses are going to happen, especially as your weight gets lower, but you should still be seeing movement on the scale with your weight and height.
Yeah, I really thought I would be losing more by now. I know I'm getting older but there seems to be a huge difference between this year and last year. But then other people my size seem to be eating 1200 or less per day. I don't particular want to do that.

The husband says I am not delusional and my butt really does look different.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 04-19-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #8  
Back with a story

LOL! Sounds like something my husband would say
Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/tracker/130

Height: 5'06

I am just there with you! I have had two weeks of the same weight on the scale. The worst part is my personal trainer is weighing me tomorrow and I KNOW I'll be he same as I was last weigh-in. It makes me nervous to even go work out with him, because I don't want to get scolded. I guess I should just keep on my same track, and hope my hard work starts to show.
Dunediner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

You get scolded if you don't have a loss for the week?!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/tracker/130

Height: 5'06

Maybe not scolded, but I do feel like I let my trainer down. I guess "lectured" would be a better term....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsBaby View Post
You get scolded if you don't have a loss for the week?!
Dunediner is offline   Reply With Quote