Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Anyone know of a good running book?

Hi.

Im interested in learning how to train for a marathon..Im starting from scratch obviously and im of course starting off on a treadmill as my body cant handle the cold outside..(my lungs tighten up) Im starting the couch to 5k but i want to be able to go further then that...I was wondering if you knew of a good book that helps to learn how to train for running?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #2  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

Well the book I've enjoyed most for beginners is Running For Mortals, by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield. (They do also have a Marathoning for Mortals book, but I have not read that one.) A lot of broad information about everything from clothing to motivation to get started, injury prevention, strength training, training programs, etc.

Another book that I like but I would say that it's a little more scientific/technical and geared towards all runners, not just beginning runners, is Running Formula, by Jack Daniels.

Good luck!
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

The blog "Runs for Cookies" is written by a woman who lost over 130+ pounds and is now a serious marathoner. She swears by....

"Marathon" by Hal Higdon and
"What I Eat" by Peter Menzel

I enjoy her blog (she's actually been on Dr. Oz). If you google the blog, she has a discussion on it somewhere on the site (although I couldn't find where).

EDIT: I just finished W3 of C25K.

Last edited by free1; 04-17-2012 at 06:27 PM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 7''

I haven't read it myself, but my sister swears by the book "Run Fat ***** Run" by Ruth Field
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

the best way to learn how to train for running is to start running... seriously. You dont need to bog yourself down and get all confused/turned around by what shorts to wear, which running goo is best, proper race day nutrition, tapering, Lactic Acid Thresholds and all that. YOu just need to start running... as soon as you build up your distance to a race-able length (a 5K or more).... even then, none of that matters. Not till you are preparing to be running for long distances does any of it REALLY matter. That said, anything by Hal Higdon is great. There is a book called the Complete book of Running for Women ( i think).

But again, youre getting ahead of yourself. You havent even started yet, lol. ANd youre going to need to go slowly at first, due to your starting weight ( hard on your joints) No offense meant WHATSOEVER. Have you been fitted for proper shoes? I guess thats the only other thing that really matters...
What is your fitness level like right now? do you walk for exercise already?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
the best way to learn how to train for running is to start running... seriously. You dont need to bog yourself down and get all confused/turned around by what shorts to wear, which running goo is best, proper race day nutrition, tapering, Lactic Acid Thresholds and all that. YOu just need to start running... as soon as you build up your distance to a race-able length (a 5K or more).... even then, none of that matters. Not till you are preparing to be running for long distances does any of it REALLY matter. That said, anything by Hal Higdon is great. There is a book called the Complete book of Running for Women ( i think).

But again, youre getting ahead of yourself. You havent even started yet, lol. ANd youre going to need to go slowly at first, due to your starting weight ( hard on your joints) No offense meant WHATSOEVER. Have you been fitted for proper shoes? I guess thats the only other thing that really matters...
What is your fitness level like right now? do you walk for exercise already?
This. All of this.

That said, I like Bob Glover's running books. (He's the education/classes guy for the New York Road Runners club, decades and decades of running teaching.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #7  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I have run in the past..I used to do HIIT at the gym every day.. and i used to workout on average 3 hours a day doing HIIT/biking and swimming..Its probably been about a year since doing that.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #8  

Biking and swimming is not weight-bearing, let alone high-impact. Take it slow.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm going to run a marathon in June next year! I have not done my first 5k yet, but I know where I am going.

Good luck to you!

Books, I read anything and everything about running. But I prefer books that inspire you rather than teach you what to do. I like Born to Run, and Ultamarathon man.
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote