General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Hidden benefits of losing weight and getting fit

Trips to the phlebotomist.

Me before: 255-275 - 5-6 pokes to get one to two vials of blood and that was after several attempts in both elbows with lots of digging and finally finding something in the top of my hand - after several pokes and digging. It was pure torture. After it was all over, I would leave crying.

Me now (and the last 9 months or so) - one poke, no digging for 5-6 vials of blood. And it doesn't hurt when they find it right away. All the anxiety I used to have about getting a blood draw has finally disappeared. I have confidence they will find a vein and they do.

Over the last 16 months I've had to have blood draws frequently as my thyroid stabilized and they verified everything else was getting better (as EVERYTHING was out of whack 16 months ago). Over that time I went from the drama of 6 pokes and lots of digging to the last several times with a quick draw with no pain or drama.

That right there is reason enough for me to keep the weight off and to exercise. I'll probably have to have blood draws twice yearly for the rest of my life (at least) and I much prefer these easy draws than what I used to experience. That was torture.

Now fingers are crossed that all the blood work turns out fine.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

I hope this happens to me! But it seems like I remember even when I was at a lower weight nurses could never find my veins. At one of my lowest weights I remember having to have an IV in the top of my hand for a minor surgery. maybe i just still wasn't small enough then either! lol
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Were you exercising too? That, I think, is the biggest difference.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Damn, I've had to deal with repeated stabbings with the needle for years now. Can't wait until it's no longer an ordeal just to get a blood sample!

Congrats!
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Congrats, Melissa! There's always hope that getting healthier might reinvigorate your thyroid too (unless you had it radiated or removed, of course). After 3 years of Armour, and some supervised heavy-metal detox, my thyroid is waking back up. My dose is down to 2 grains now, less than half of what it was. Keep up the great work!

I had a surprise when my DENTIST mentioned my weight loss a few years back - he said that it's much more difficult to place anesthetic shots inside the mouth on overweight folks. Of all things! He explained that even gums can be more fleshy, making it difficult to identify the tiny gaps in the jawbones that they need to hit with the anesthetic. It was very odd to get complimented on having a thinner mouth ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I hope your blood work turns out well!

Wow, I never thought about that but it makes perfect sense. I have major problem with seeing blood and getting poked so what a great side benefit that I never knew about!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Were you exercising too? That, I think, is the biggest difference.
I wasn't actively going to the gym but I was a lot more active in school activites and gym class etc. (i was in high school) but it may not have been enough. ill be sure to keep working out to avoid multiple stabs when getting an IV/blood tests! lol
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #8  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

That's great! I never thought about that before.. although all my life I've had problems with my veins. They always collapse when they try to take blood.. even when I wasn't overweight really. So not sure if it's related. Luckily I don't mind it as I used to have to get weekly blood tests! Thankfully those days are behind me.

Fingers crossed for you!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Congrats! That must have been a much nicer experience!

I remember when I was in the hospital a few years back and they couldn't find a vein in my arm to put the IV. The veins in my hands have always been easy to see, so they used that. Hurt the entire freaking time. Luckily I was only there a matter of hours otherwise I would have ripped it out.

I noticed I can see the veins in my arms now. Hopefully if I ever have to get any bloodwork done they won't have to resort to using my hands!!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'4"

Nice to have one more benefit! Although, for me, the downside is that my varicose veins will become as obvious as lightning bolts down my legs! I'll just have to focus on the benefit of a "skinny mouth" like ICUwishing.
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #11  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

That's great Melissa!!

and how interesting about the dentist's comment. More reasons to keep on keepin' on

Years ago I donated blood regularly. This was when I was probably this weight (low-ish 140's) and did alot of weight bearing exercising. The technician complimented my on my 'big beautiful veins' in the arm and said my arms looked like a truck driver's ???? I took it as comp

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-17-2012 at 01:28 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #12  

Hope your blood test results are fine.
Losing weight has multiple benefits besides looking good. For instance, I find it has improved my relationship with my boyfriend, I feel more confident now, I tend to laugh more and be more relaxed.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote