Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/150

Height: 5'7"

Default how much do you sweat?

I know that's a hard question to quantify. But I feel like I sweat a LOT for a girl! I almost always have damp armpits even when not exercising, so when I work out I get giant sweat rings under my arms, running down my neck and back.... I feel like I sweat like a man. Every other girl I see is either not sweating or is not *visibly* sweating.

Is it the excess weight? Anyone not sweat as much once they lose? I shouldn't even worry about it, I'm at the gym to sweat so who cares. It just occasionally occurs to me to feel self-conscious....
debigulating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I sweat a ton. It blows. I actually have to be VERY picky about what shirts I wear. Sometimes, even when its freezing out, I can sweat buckets. It is only confined to my armpits thankfully, but it sucks having to pass on so many cute tops just because I know I cant wear them without huge sweat stains.

However, when working out, my whole body gets sweaty. Sometimes I will literally feel little drips of sweat rolling down my face. I always bring a small hand towel with me for this reason. I used to get embarrassed but now I don't care at all since I am there to work my *** off anyways.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 228/199/170

Height: 5'8"

I sweat tons too! Especially the armpits, mine kinda feel perma-damp too.
When I workout my underboobs and face sweat a lot too. I figure it's probably part extra weight/part we just sweat a lot?
kimminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #4  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

My shirt is always drenched 20 minutes into my run xD...On my back, right below my boobs, right under my arms. When I run outside, I have drops of sweat that burns my eyes xD. I don't think its the excess weight because I don't think i'm that heavy...I just sweat alot when I do physical activity.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Girls that aren't sweating aren't pushing themselves that hard. At least that's what I tell myself. So, yes, I sweat!

But my husband sweats way more than I do. You can wring his shirt out after any moderately strenuous activity and he's THIN. Mowing the lawn on a summer day? He'll be drenched. My clothes will be damp, but not wring-out-able.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #6  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I sweat a TON. Everywhere, but my head especially - or maybe it's just that I don't have clothes on my head to soak up the sweat, so it seems worst there! By the end of a run my hair is literally completely wet with sweat, and I feel bad when there's someone on the treadmill next to mine at that point as I can feel that I'm flinging sweat droplets from my wet hair. I don't care how I look though - I'm sweating like crazy because I'm working hard, and there's nothing embarrassing about that.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
I sweat a TON. Everywhere, but my head especially - or maybe it's just that I don't have clothes on my head to soak up the sweat, so it seems worst there! By the end of a run my hair is literally completely wet with sweat, and I feel bad when there's someone on the treadmill next to mine at that point as I can feel that I'm flinging sweat droplets from my wet hair. I don't care how I look though - I'm sweating like crazy because I'm working hard, and there's nothing embarrassing about that.
I sweat a lot from my head too (more than my husband, now that I think about it). In step, after every song, I'm running the towel around the back and front of my head and everythign but the ponytail is wet when I'm done. I'm sure running will be the same (I'm just at week 1 of C25K)
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #8  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I sweat so much! I have to bring a towel to yoga or I get so slippery I can't stick to the mat, and I don't even do hot yoga.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #9  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Drenched!!! You're not working hard enough if you don't have sweat dripping off everywhere .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #10  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

FWIW, if it gives you hope, I sweated a lot at 168 pounds, and I don't sweat much at all now that I'm smaller, even when I'm working out really hard. The amount you sweat is individual to your own body and is not necessarily indicative of how hard you're working.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 228/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm glad other people sweat too! I feel like an outlier at my gym where everyone looks perfect and no one sweats. It's like working out alongside the Stepford Wives

My gym has a big stack of little white hand towels at the desk for people so I always grab one of those and mop up as needed
debigulating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I don't sweat much except for beads on my forehead. I would say I work pretty hard when I exercise - often to failure or near-passing-out.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by debigulating View Post
I'm glad other people sweat too! I feel like an outlier at my gym where everyone looks perfect and no one sweats. It's like working out alongside the Stepford Wives
I feel like I'm the only one at my gym that sweats too. The only female anyway, and most of the males too. Except for the slightly worrisome older guy who comes at the same time as me and goes really crazy fast and beet red on the bicycle for 45 minutes, and I always wonder if today is the day he is going to have a heart attack, and maybe I should have brushed up on my CPR. And there are some really cute guys at my gym, and how am I ever going to attract them when they only ever see me with my hair absolutely soaked and pasted to my head, and how come the cute girl with the ponytail manages to exercise with makeup on, because mine would be all over my shirt and towel.

(This is pretty much the running narrative in my head the entire time I'm at the gym, for those of you who occasionally mention you are self conscious about what people might be thinking about you. I am not thinking about you at all except maybe for "how do you not SWEAT and how do I do that?!")

I did switch from old cotton T-shirts and shorts to "tech" clothes, which don't help with sweating at all, but do help with not showing the embarrassing wet patches.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #14  
Starting OVER!

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6

ya dude.. I can sweat in the snow lol.
blackbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzeager View Post
don't help with sweating at all, but do help with not showing the embarrassing wet patches.
Yeah, technical fabrics help a LOT. IME it's worth it to find the good stuff (athletic brands sold in athletics stores, generally), not Target or Old Navy quality for these; there's a big difference.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote