Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/184/145

Height: 5 7ish

Default Well, I am finally horrified at how I look

Hello there. I work for a company that just started a facebook page. We took a team picture, and holy crap! I am enormous. I am so upset. I have been avoiding scales and pictures in general. Now I know why. I hope this is the "straw that breaks the camel's back". I lost 70lbs back in 2006. And gained all but 10 lbs back, that is 10 lbs a year, I just need to find a way to stop the madness and change my lifestyle. Sometimes I think this is mental.
I am commiting to starting a blog and doing TurboFire. I got it for Christmas and have not done it yet, I don't know what I am afraid of. I just need to get cracking. Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for your support.
tacomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #2  
threenorns

hi tacomama! welcome to 3fc!

just remember: temporary diets give temporary changes but permanent habits give permanent results!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Pictures can be a huge wake up call. As devastating as they can be to look at, they can hopefully provide enough motivation to keep on going. I actually keep a picture of fat me in an easily accessible place so I can look at it whenever I get into a lazy rut.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #4  
threenorns

yeah - being fat doesn't bother me. it's my security blanket.

my photo is in my head and it hasn't happened yet - my motivation is to stop it from ever happening.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #5  

Thanks so much. I knew it was getting bad, but kept pushing it to the back of my mind. I am hoping that since there is no more denying it. I have to address the situation. (kind of sounds like something I would say at work~well I do what I am supposed to do at work) Not sure why I don't care enough about myself to do what I am supposed to do. The first step is admitting the problem, the second is the before picture. So, there we go steps one and two are done....now I need to do the rest.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #6  
Katrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
yeah - being fat doesn't bother me. it's my security blanket.

my photo is in my head and it hasn't happened yet - my motivation is to stop it from ever happening.
I've just recently realized that some people see it as a security blanket. I've always seen it as a ball and chain type thing. It is fascinating on how many different feelings people can have towards their weight.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #7  
Katrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Thanks so much. I knew it was getting bad, but kept pushing it to the back of my mind. I am hoping that since there is no more denying it. I have to address the situation. (kind of sounds like something I would say at work~well I do what I am supposed to do at work) Not sure why I don't care enough about myself to do what I am supposed to do. The first step is admitting the problem, the second is the before picture. So, there we go steps one and two are done....now I need to do the rest.
I hear you. I was in denial about it as well. I went up to a size 13 but acted like it didn't bother me. It's always easier to address situations that don't truly effect ourselves (such as work errands). It does get easier. In time, it becomes more of habit, less of a chore. How long that takes to happen tho varies for different people.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #8  

I don't even let people take pictures of me, I saw a few and was depressed for weeks about it. I went from 130-185 in 3 years and then pregnancy took me to a nice 250 on my small frame. I'm so fat now I haven't seen my privacies since 2003 sad but true. I hate being overweight.
ubskinnyagain75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #9  

Believe me. If it was not mandatory the picture would have never happened, there are only 4 of us, so it's not like I could even "hide" behind someone. Usually I "hide" behind my husband or a larger child. Wow, sad.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #10  
bionic knees

Height: 5'7

Tacomama, I am with you! I am not photogenic to begin with...the ones I do have are prolly one of about 50 that I like. *grin*
I was going by a shop and saw this person in the window (I won't say what I thought when i saw the person) and when I realized it was ME. DANG! I won't say what I thought then either!! However, I am prepared and to do this I KNEW I had to put mirrors in my house. Full length mirrors so I can what I am doing and what I need to be doing. because I need to see this. i need to be "aware". And I am AWARE now, and that is what I needed to see.
The Dawg House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

I am not photgenic either ladies. You are 184 lbs at 5'7". I think that the 145 would be a really good place for you. I was 175 or a little more actually when I decided enough was enough and I'm only 5'3". It was not going to happen with the wave of a wand or overnight. So, I knew it would take a while for me and I have to say that I have gradually over the course of 11 months lost almost 30 lbs. I know that a lot of people think that's a long time to lose just 30 lbs, but for me slow is good. I stopped eating fast food fries and burgers. I occ will stop at Wendy's and get just a crispie chix sandwhich for lunch if I am in a hurry, but no fries. I have been counting calories and walking on the treadmill and I was doing some step aerobics because I want to tone my legs up. But to tell the truth I really like the treadmill the best at 3 - 3.5 miles per hr and I try to do between 30 min and 60 min on it 3 x week. It is really a good workout. I also lift 5 and 10 lb wts for my upper body. These are really just small changes, but has gotten almost 30 lbs off of me. You have to make a conscious effort to eat right. It is so easy to go out with friends and family and eat what they are. That was one of the hardest things to do, but I do it and it has worked for me. Sorry for the long post. Oh, had I rarely drink diet soda, only if I am out. I drink diet tea now.

Last edited by lyv33; 04-20-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: add word
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Hello there. I work for a company that just started a facebook page. We took a team picture, and holy crap! I am enormous. I am so upset. I have been avoiding scales and pictures in general. Now I know why. I hope this is the "straw that breaks the camel's back". I lost 70lbs back in 2006. And gained all but 10 lbs back, that is 10 lbs a year, I just need to find a way to stop the madness and change my lifestyle. Sometimes I think this is mental.
I am commiting to starting a blog and doing TurboFire. I got it for Christmas and have not done it yet, I don't know what I am afraid of. I just need to get cracking. Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for your support.
Hi Tacoma,

You and I are in a very similar spot!
I am a 43-yr-old energy consultant, working from home while raising three beautiful kids, ages 14, 12, and 9. I lost 60lbs on the South Beach Diet in 2010. I went from 212 lbs to 152 lbs. -- 7 lbs shy of my goal. I looked great and felt even better. To make a very long story short, Multiple family crises caused my stress level to skyrocket, and the good habits I had developed to fall by the wayside. As a result, in 2011, I regained half of what I lost. Today I weigh 182 lbs. I hate the way I look (again), and feel physically and, even more so, emotionally terrible.

I have been procrastinating about getting back to the SBD way of eating, because I am beating myself up about regaining half the weight. My worst fears throughout my weight loss period have come true -- that I would gain it back.

I'm hoping to hear from any of you who have gone through a similar experience, or from those who have thoughts and suggestions to offer. I am making a commitment to myself to get back on track, and take off at least the amount I gained.

I was a paying member of the SBD website while loosing the weight, and I credit the camaraderie and tools with being major factors in my success. Unfortunately, I cannot afford the membership any longer. Hoping the 3FC forums will be a good replacement.

Good luck as you start back on your journey. Maybe we'll offer support to one another!

Cheri
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #13  

I am in the same boat -I used to be a photographer so I still tend to be behind the camera whenever it is time for pics. I just saw a pic of me and then came to this forum after not being on in three years. I was horrified by the way I looked. My bf is a PX90 junkie and likes curvy women but I have put on 24 pounds in the last year and a half - he never says anything but boy do I look different. Know you are not alone and hopefully this forum can us all do it together.

Erin
WanttoWearan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

I'm so glad I came here today. This thread is just what I need.

I lost about 50 pounds in 2007-2008. I started nursing school in 2009 and put on about 10 pounds each year. I graduated in May and have been telling myself every night; "Tomorrow, you'll start eating healthy and exercising." Day after day, after day.

I just can't seem to get going.

I looked like an elephant in the graduation pictures. I interviewed for a job just over a week ago and had a terrible time finding a suit to wear that was even minimally flattering. Who wants to hire a fat nurse?

I've GOT to get back on the DOWN ROAD!!!
ggmugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #15  

Height: 5' 8"

I just realized the other day that I way the same amount as I did this time last year, so all the weight I lost last summer I gained back over the fall, winter, and spring. It is not productive for me to beat myself up over it, I just need to start paying attn to what I eat and start working out.

We can all support each other as we move toward being healthier!

Last edited by envelope; 06-04-2012 at 07:23 PM.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote