Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #1  
megs3

S/C/G: 164/164/130

Height: 5"2

Default Types of Protein... HELP!

I hope someone on here can help me. I posted these questions before and now cannot find it. I had been doing IP but the soy protein in the packets made me spot all the time. I am wondering what it is about the soy protein? I want to get back on track with some kind of program but want to avoid the same situation. Is this due to the isoflavone in the protein and that is what I should avoid? Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks
msmith61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #2  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Yes, I believe you are referring to the effect of oestrogens which is a plant estrogen. With too much soy protein and/or isoflavones supplementation it does add to the estrogenic effects in your body. It's become a concern, especially for those who are at risk for estrogen dependent cancers, like breast cancer.

Do you need a natural estrogen supplementation or are you just looking for more protein? If you can eat eggs, I would look into egg whites since they are super low in calories (17 cals in one egg white) and are a great source of high quality protein(approx 3.6 grams per egg white).

There is also protein powder supplements you can use like whey protein or casein protein. The whey protein is immediately available and the casien protein has a delayed availability. Both are milk proteins.

I checked into ideal protein but it was out of my price range so I made a plan for myself based on getting better quality carbohydrates and moderating those carbs while also making sure to get enough protein to help keep blood sugar levels stable. It's worked out really well with helping the fat melt off and increasing my lean muscle mass. I really try to help my body control it's insulin response through the moderated carbs and higher protein intake since I tend to have tempermental blood sugars and the carb cravings that tend to go along with wild swings in my body's insulin response. I feel much better and have more energy with this way of eating.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by 4star; 04-14-2012 at 10:40 PM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote