Old 04-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #1  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

Default Go-to breakfasts?

It's supposed to be the most important meal of the day, but I'm not really a big breakfast eater. I used to never get hungry until at least noon, but in the past year I've started waking up much earlier and getting hungry almost immediately. So I'm trying to figure out some quick easy breakfast foods that are also healthy. I have a few that I eat all the time:

1 slice Whole wheat toast (50 cals), generous no-cal butter spray, 1 tablespoon local, organic honey (60 calories), 1 cup 2% milk (120 calories) or earl gray tea with Splenda (0 calories) = 110-230 calories

1 slice homemade quiche- 170 calories. My recipe is super quick and easy. I love to make the quiche one evening and have a slice for dinner, and then it's in the fridge for several days and it takes 45 seconds to 1 minute to heat for breakfast.
My recipe:
4 eggs (or egg whites if you want less calories), 1/4 cup 2% milk, 1/2-3/4 cup fat free shredded cheese, white and black pepper, chives and salt to taste, veggies and/or meats of choice (I usually stick with cheese and spinach, but bacon, ham, sausage are all good, as are bell peppers and onions), frozen reduced fat pie crust, no-cal butter spray.
Preheat oven to 400, pour cheese in the pie crust, mix the egg, milk and spices in a bowl along with veggies/meats of your choice, and pour that over the cheese. Spritz the top and the exposed edges of the crust with the butter spray to prevent over-browning. This all takes less than ten minutes. Stick it in the oven for 30-45 minute, until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Cut into eight pieces and enjoy,
I make a similar breakfast casserole which is the same recipe but without crust, I pour the egg mix in a casserole dish or muffin pan. Carb free and lower cal, equally yummy. Use double the ingredient amounts in the quiche to fill a large casserole dish.
I prefer egg dishes that I can prepare and heat up to cooking scrambled eggs for myself every morning. Its less work, which is good for me in the morning when I'm starving and impatient.

I also have low sugar oatmeal that's delicious for breakfast.

What are your go-to breakfasts?
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/225/160

Height: 5'9"

I usually keep it small, I dont know if thats necessarily good or not but I will eat either instant oatmeal or special K cereal with skim milk. Sometimes Ill eat a Special K breakfast bar if Im in a rush or not that much hungry. Oatmeal is 130, the bar is 90, and the cereal with skim milk is 160. I had scrambled egg whites one day and a yogurt I think that was around 135.
Ashmarie484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #3  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Lately I've been eating strawberry organic yoghurt with nutty muesli (one with no added sugar). I often eat a fruit porridge made with water or 1/3 0% fat milk, sometimes I eat a boiled egg with salad and chicken pieces and sometimes I just eat fruit.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #4  
Don't turn back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeilaJey View Post
Lately I've been eating strawberry organic yoghurt with nutty muesli (one with no added sugar). I often eat a fruit porridge made with water or 1/3 0% fat milk, sometimes I eat a boiled egg with salad and chicken pieces and sometimes I just eat fruit.
I've been wanting to try muesli. What is it like/is it good?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

If you're not hungry, why eat breakfast? A lot of members here don't eat it and they seem to be doing fine.

I'm always hungry in the morning, so I eat. I usually have one of the following:

Poached Egg + Roasted Red Peppers and Tomato (100 cal)
Poached Egg + Whole Wheat English Muffin (200 cal)
1/4 cup Egg Beaters + Tomato and Roasted Red Peppers omelet (50ish cal)
1/4 cup Egg Beaters + Tomato and Roasted Red Peppers omelet with 1/2 slice cheese (100 cal)

My breakfasts are tiny and filling. Sometimes if I am hungrier I'll make the same thing, but just bigger (2 poached eggs, bigger omelet, etc.).
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/225/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
If you're not hungry, why eat breakfast? A lot of members here don't eat it and they seem to be doing fine.

I'm always hungry in the morning, so I eat. I usually have one of the following:

Poached Egg + Roasted Red Peppers and Tomato (100 cal)
Poached Egg + Whole Wheat English Muffin (200 cal)
1/4 cup Egg Beaters + Tomato and Roasted Red Peppers omelet (50ish cal)
1/4 cup Egg Beaters + Tomato and Roasted Red Peppers omelet with 1/2 slice cheese (100 cal)

My breakfasts are tiny and filling. Sometimes if I am hungrier I'll make the same thing, but just bigger (2 poached eggs, bigger omelet, etc.).
Your breakfast sounds a lot more delicious then mine lol Im gonna have to try some.
Ashmarie484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #7  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Hard boiled eggs are easy to just grab and go- I love the little single serving Greek yogurt packs with a little fruit mixed in. Oatmeal with cherries, cinnamon, and almond extract is delicious! Sometimes if I know I'll be in a hurry I'll blend up a protein smoothie the night before and throw it in the fridge for the next morning. Fruit with nut butter (trigger for me but I know people who love it)

Most mornings I eat an egg-white omelette (4egg whites, mushrooms, spinach, salsa) for 100 calories- but I'll sometimes switch it up if I'm bored or in a big hurry.
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

I was eating a banana and yogurt and then I stopped...I think I just started getting lazy... Then I started grabbing a small bag of beef jerky and some almonds and cranberries.

Now I'm ordering eggs, home fries, and toast...two steps forward, three steps back... /facepalm

I'm trying to return to just fruit and yogurt in the morning though, that was a lot better for me in more ways than one.

Last edited by Nadya; 04-15-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 148/142/119

Height: 5'5

some high fiber oatmeal with soy milk ~ 190
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce ~50

very simple and satisfying, at least to me :P
chocohot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #10  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

i make a smoothie every morning. i buy frozen fruit, and lowfat yogurt. mango, peach, strawberry and banana is the best. takes about 3 minutes to make and is only like 350 calories for a huge one, i mostly eat veggies though, so its my way of getting my fruit servings for the day

you can also put protien powder, or vanilla slimfast in it, it makes you feel more full for longer

Last edited by samcakes; 04-14-2012 at 03:35 PM.
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #11  
say what?

For the past half year I've been eating the same thing for breakfast because I love it SO MUCH, it feels like a dessert/splurge.

- Full fat greek yoghurt with half a fuji apple (only fuji!) and a teaspoon of sugar
OR
- Full fat greek yoghurt with half a banana and a teaspoon of honey

I take only about 3oz of greek yoghurt, so it's not a big breakfast, about 200 calories. But it ties me over till lunch and I just enjoy eating. I hated breakfast before I started this.. so, win win situation.

Last edited by philana; 04-14-2012 at 03:53 PM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #12  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchievictim View Post
I've been wanting to try muesli. What is it like/is it good?
I love it.. kinda crunchy with fruit and nuts. Only need a little bit. It's ok with milk but I love it with yoghurt if you let it soak in a few minutes.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #13  
Don't turn back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philana View Post
For the past half year I've been eating the same thing for breakfast because I love it SO MUCH, it feels like a dessert/splurge.

- Full fat greek yoghurt with half a fuji apple (only fuji!) and a teaspoon of sugar
OR
- Full fat greek yoghurt with half a banana and a teaspoon of honey

I take only about 3oz of greek yoghurt, so it's not a big breakfast, about 200 calories. But it ties me over till lunch and I just enjoy eating. I hated breakfast before I started this.. so, win win situation.
I'm really enjoying Greek yogurt lately. I like it frozen! I think I'll mix a little with some honey that sounds delicious.

Sontaikle- I used to not eat breakfast, and I'm intrigued by IF, but lately I'm starving in the morning and I'm not sure why? Very strange.
Poached eggs sound delicious but I don't know how to do it! I think I'll google it
Old 04-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #14  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchievictim View Post

Sontaikle- I used to not eat breakfast, and I'm intrigued by IF, but lately I'm starving in the morning and I'm not sure why? Very strange.
Poached eggs sound delicious but I don't know how to do it! I think I'll google it
Oh it's very easy! And I prefer it to frying the egg all the time.

Just crack an egg in a cup and drop it into a pot of water that is just about ready to boil (I put it in a cup first so it's easy to slowly pour into the water). Watch the egg for a few minutes and make sure the water doesn't boil over. When you feel it's ready (it depends on how you like your yolks) scoop it out with a spoon.

It takes a little longer than frying, but with some salt and pepper it's quite yummy

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-14-2012 at 04:12 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #15  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

I usually just have milk and cereal for breakfast, because I hate everything in the morning --cooking included.

When I am in a good mood, I usually make an omelet with two eggs and whatever vegetables I have in the house. My favorite is 2 eggs, 1 chopped tomato, some onion and crumbled feta cheese.
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote