Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #11

Good afternoon, ladies! We're having a sunny day in the high 60s.

I planted 12 resurrection flower bulbs Glory gave me yesterday. If you aren't familiar with them, they come up in the spring with daffodils, etc. Just long leaves. Then they die off. The first week in August a green stalk appears, no leaves, and it has a single mauve bloom. I hope they grow for me.

I spent Easter with Sandy and yesterday was applique at Bella.

Faye, I guess you are at the doctor this day. I find body wash with Shea butter keeps my skin hydrated and silky. Before you know it, Jackson will be in school.

Jean, you always were an over-achiever - working when the office is closed. You'd think they were paying you.

Maggie, chocolate isn't my downfall so I had no problem not buying any for Easter. You might send us a list of appliances you are selling. You have some nifty stuff and I'd pay postage.

Time to get back to work. Lunch is over. Enjoy your day.

QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday Mid-day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely day in the upwards 60 degres. We just got in from a wonderful drive in the country and buying some tomato plants & potting soil to plant in a tub. I cleaned the butt hutt and put fresh sand in it and was closely supervised by Cecil. He, of course, has to inspect it when I am finished. I scoop it out each day but put fresh sand in it when needed and he is always there. What a guy.

I got all the index pages updated in my cook books and printed out. I don't save many recipes anymore for the magazines are reprinting the good ones that I have already clipped in years past. So about twice a year I will make new index pages for those books that have had additions.

I need to get out to the kitchen and decide on what to make for dinner this day. Being out and about put all that type thing out of my mind. What I need to do is unload the dishwasher and put a few items in there that are in the sink from breakfast. Lunch was on paper so that was a quick clean up.

SUSAN I imagine those flowers you planted will be gorgeous come August when they do pop up.

DONNA FAYE I vote that you take a nap and let your alarm waken you so you can go pick up your main squeeze. More meds - ugh. You will get through this in time but the getting through it is a pain in the "you know what." Things will get better ya know. It is just the getting there that is hard and discouraging.

JEAN Thanks so much for that recipe. I plan on making it soon and will let you know how mine turned out. I'll make sure the ham I get is good tasting to begin with. The market here has a great deli section.

Everyone have a lovely afternoon. Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #3  

"Gma" -- You and Maggie both talked about fixing a roast. I think I will get one as we haven't had one for awhile. The wind picked up and it never did get very warm outside. There is a frost warning for tonight again.

Susan -- Resurrection flowers sound interesting; I don't think I've ever seen one. I hope yours grow! I was surprised at how busy the church office was yesterday. I stopped by today to make sure the secretary understood my notes. I had to "rob Peter to pay Paul" so to speak -- made change for a lady who came in to pay for her Easter lily. Usually we just have a bag of change to pay the mailman for returned items but this time there were dollar bills in it for some reason. I hope you got a nap in this afternoon.

Maggie -- It sounds like you have been busy with your recipes and cook books. I have a small drawer full of recipes I have cut out of magazines and newspapers. I really should sort through them and either try them or pitch them. Good luck with the ham balls! I hope yours turn out better than mine did although Bob ate one for lunch and said it was better today than on Sunday.

I'm heading for bed to read. Tomorrow I have nails first and then lunch bunch at noon. No more bells until fall.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! I've been to get new nails this morning and am waiting for the washer to finish cleaning so I can do a load of clothes before I leave for lunch. The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and the birds had to ice skate again this morning. Guess I won't pack away my sweatshirts quite yet. I thought spring/summer was here for sure when we were having the 70 and 80 degree days. I was really glad I still had my flannel sheets on the bed last night!

I need to pick up the kitchen and just remembered I should get a church birthday card ready to go. Have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy your day!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a cloudy day in the upper 50 degrees this Wednesday AKA: humpday. Not much happening in this neck of the woods this day. We changed TV connection providers because the last one didn't tell the truth and we didn't get baseball like they said we would so we found a provider that does deliver the games. It pays to shop around and weed through their lies. Will is bringing me a sandwich from Subway ~ a 6" Turkey Breast and Black Forest Ham on flatbread for 8P+. I love their 6" Meatball Marinara sub but I hate to spend the 15P+ for it. Isn't it grand that we have "choices." I just can't see spending half of my days points + allowance on a sandwich today.

JEAN I am not upset with our cooler temps for it gives us some more planting time. A cool Spring is welcomed for sure. I just hope it doesn't turn hot real quick. Your flannel sheets sure sound cozy. We don't have any of those but I think next year we will. We will definitely want them in the motor home when that time comes.

All Magnolias out there have a lovely afrernoon. Type at y'all later.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #6  

Afternoon gals. I came in here and posted this morning, but where it went is anybody's guess. I had a bad night last night, mostly because my abdomen is really sore from the dr pushing and pulling and all on it so I had trouble sleeping. I took a nap this morning, then went to work on this darn monkey hat. It is driving me nuts. I have one ear to knit and attach and then I am giving it to her tomorrow night when we go to Thomas's band concert. I dread having to make two more of the darn things. Knitting the hat is a breeze, it is the muzzle, ears, and eyes that drive me cuckoo. The eyes aren't exactly centered on the hat, but I am not taking them out again. He will just have to be a bit walleyed! The woman who wrote the pattern didn't know what she was doing either. She didn't explain about the lining at all, didn't include the crochet hook you should use for the earflaps and around the bottom of the hat, and the list goes on and on. It was the only pattern I could find for adults though.

Jean: The roast was pretty good last night and it sure made it easy to get supper on the table when we got home from picking Jack up from work. I just pulled it out, Jacked nuked the potatoes and I made gravy. It is always way messier to clean up then to serve for sure. It was cooler here today too, but we are supposed to warm back into the 80's starting tomorrow. I have a bunch of cookbooks and three pocket file folders with recipes in them. I used the loose recipes much more than in the cookbooks. I get them off of allrecipes.com a lot then adjust them if the calories, etc are too high.

Maggie: When I get the subway meatball sub, I have them leave off the sauce. I hate the soggy sub bread. I usually eat small breakfast and lunch meals and have at least half my pts left for dinner. We eat so early that I don't think it matters too much.

I wanted to finish the upstairs today, dusting and cleaning the hall bath, but I am so sore, I can't bend over and just getting out of the chair hurts, so I just worked on the stinkin' hat! I am going to get in the recliner and read since tv stinks as usual. The Cubbies are not starting out well at all and we have paid for MLB extra innings and for online WGN radio to listen to them so they need to get their act together. The MLB cost is nearly $200 for the season so I may send them the bill if they don't start winning.

You ladies have a nice evening. Like I said, tomorrow evening if Thomas's spring band concert so we look forward to that. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #7  

Good very early morning girls. I have pretty much been up all night. I had a really bad case of heartburn and because of the antibiotic I am on, was a little leery of taking a heartburn med so I suffered until around 1 AM or so then I had some really uncomfortable abdomen pain and couldn't sleep except to doze off then wake up a few minutes later, etc. I got up at 2:30 and took all my meds and one of the pain pills the gyn prescribed for me and it seemed to do the trick. So, it is now 3:30 AM and Jack will be getting up in 90 minutes so I decided just to stay up and then when he goes to work just crash for 4-5 hours or so. No upstairs cleaning for me today. I need to catch up on sleep.

Well, the first of the infamous sock monkey hats is done. Brother, I hope the other two aren't as difficult. It is not the knitted hat, it is the ears, the muzzle, putting on the buttons for the eyes, etc. I hope she likes it because if not, "I ain't a makin' any other ones!" It looks like a sock monkey so hope it fits the bill. Since I don't crochet, I always have to google crochet instructions to refresh me on how to do single crochet. There is one row around the bottom of the hat, then two rows around the earflaps. Crocheting seems to be easier than knitting! I am sure it isn't once you get into fancy stuff, but doing single crochet seems to be easier than learning how to knit.

I think since his concert is at 6:30 PM we will just grab a sandwich out. I told Jack I don't want to sabotage our WW, but it is so much easier this way then rushing around getting dinner on then cleaning it up and trying to then dress to go. He was picked for concert band I think is what it is called so I will be anxious to hear them tonight. They are made up mostly of 7th and 8th graders, but mr. "I pick up and instrument and can play it" got picked to play in it after an audition I think is how it went. He likes playing the trumpet so at least he is enjoying another instrument.

Well gals, I am going to sit and read I think. I have been reading the whole series of Sara Paretsky's, V.I. Warshawski books and still have a few to go. Have a good Thursday. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sockmonkeyhat.jpg (20.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #8  

[Good Morning! I am typing on my laptop and it is NOT pretty! It's a gloomy windy day in my neighborhood. I took my pc to the computer store this morning. Of course the guy who said he would look at it wasn't there. The guy who took it said it should be a simple fix -- I hope.

Maggie -- I asked you for some warmer weather please. Our cable company just dropped another channel -- I hope you enjoy the baseball games.

"Gma" -- I did get my roast this morning! I think I will fix it tomorrow since Bob is out on the farm today. There is a gal who works at the meat counter that I've known for years. I mentioned to her her how unhappy I was with the meat and she said they would give me my money back. I won't do that because we did eat it. I thought it was nice of them to offer though. You are a trooper when it comes to figuring out "wrong" patterns. I think the hat is really cute!

I need to run the vacuum! Without sunshine it's harder to see them, but I know the little furry dust critters are there! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!

Last edited by Jean; 04-12-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: mistakes
Old 04-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a cloudy day in the high 50's here in the Heartland. All the animals are snoozing in the front room. Will has gone to his volunteer job and all is very quiet here in the house. I have just got to clean my desk off today for my in basket is overflowing with things that aren't "in" stuff. But overflowing it is; and needs to be delt with. Life is good when all I have to think about doing is cleaning off my desk. The tomato plant looks so happy out in it's own pot. Now we can hope it will produce nice fruit. We have other things around the house growing in pots. Inside my spider plant almost touches the floor it has grown so big. So far the animals have left it alone. Cecil eyes it when he is in that area of the room where it is in front of the largest window in the front room. Our Charlie plant is hanging in another window on a differnt wall. He is growing nicely. We have ivy climbing up another wall up around and around a candle sconce. We keep the drapes open during the day and they all get plenty of light even on cloudy days such as this. I have not yet eaten anything and am not a bit hungry yet.

DONNA FAYE What a cute hat. In my minds eye I can just visualize the three of them in monkey hats in the picture they will have taken on the mountain. Lots of folks say crochet is easier than knitting. I have a beautiful real colorful crochet throw a friend made for me. It would have taken me a lot longer to knit it than it did for her to crochet it. Hopefully you can get a good sleep in this day.

JEAN Yep folks are downsizing their products so as not to raise rates on lots of things. A pound of something has shrunk to a 14 oz package. Instead of a dozen tortillas you get eight or ten. Keeps folks thinking that prices aren't going up. AH but at the gas pump the reality that prices "are going up" hits them right between the eyes. Some of the folks that don't drive don't have a clue. Hope you get your computer fixed. We only have lap tops here in this house. Works for us. I have had lap tops as long as they have been on the market. I remember how slow they were to turn on ~ you could turn it on and go have breakfast and it just might be up and running when you are finished. Now everyting is instant. Turn it on and it is ready to great the world. Technology is faciniting.

SUSAN I hope all is well with you this day.

All y'all have a wonderful afternoon this lovely spring day.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-12-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #10  

Good morning to you all. I am taking Jack to work today so I can take Fortune to the groomers so am just waiting to leave and thought I would post. We started out for Thomas's concert last night and Jack got sick in the car and I had to take him home and then hurry to get to the concert on time. He was sick all evening for whatever reason, but he seems fine this morning.

Thomas's concert was very nice, not too long, but enjoyable. The kids are crazy about that nutty hat, which I am glad and it fits both adults so she said she would have Thomas try it on at home because he would never try it on in public. So, this morning I started the next one.

I have lots to accomplish today so hopefully I can feel well and get it all done. Besides taking Fortune, I need to pay bills, which I didn't do yesterday and should have, do laundry, and get the upstairs cleaned. I also have to get an onion chopped for dinner tonight then assemble everything so when we get home we can get right to getting dinner on. Thank goodness it is Friday. Oh, and I have to right out a menu and a grocery list to commissary shop tomorrow.

Jean: I haven't found too much disruption of our satellite channels. I do know they are in negotiations with Chicago Tribune for a bunch of channels, one of which is WGN where we watch the Cubs play. Hopefully, they won't whack that one. Is it still cold at your house? It was really pleasant here yesterday, but it has been cool overnight and takes time to warm up during the day then. Kelly told me last night that the guy giving the estimate for the new liner came so she is hoping to have the pool open in about 3 weeks. Guess I will have to get in gear so I can go swimming again, but I will wait awhile until the water gets a bit warmer. It never gets warm at their house because they have total tree coverage and it is always shaded, but hopefully really hot weather will warm it up by July or so.

Maggie: I would love to grow fresh tomatoes in one of those upside down things, but that horrible squirrel we have would destroy them I imagine. I used to be a plant gal, but I am not much of a green thumb so gave up on them years ago. Besides, we travel enough that having someone coming in and watering just doesn't make sense.

Well gals, gotta go. Have a nice weekend. Faye
Old 04-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendy Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright and sunshiney day here in the Heartland. We are planning on grilling burgers for dinner and they are so good done outside that way. They have the rocks strewn down the alley way and it is so much better now for when it rains some they will be packed in. I am wearing my floor length Moo Moo (which they selll as a dress) and don't have an inclination to get dressed yet. I can't imagine anyone wearing this thing outside even. It is comfortable for sure but quite ugly. It does cover me up quite nicely which is good and nice to do my exercises in. I thought I would type out a little thing I got from the local leader in an e-mail about fiber counts. It is a handly list I have laminated and put a magnet on the back and keep it in my kitchen.

FIBER COUNTS
6g raspberries, 1 cup
3g blueberries, ¾ cup
4g strawberries, 1 cup
2g peach, medium with skin
5g apple, medium with skin

2g celery, 2 stalks
3g zucchini, 1 cup cooked
4g green beans, 1 cup
5g baked potato, medium with skin
6g cooked carrots, 1 cup
8g peas, 1 cup cooked
11g avocado, medium

1g popcorn, 1 cup air-popped
2g peanuts, 1 oz
3g walnuts, 1 oz
4g almonds, 1 oz

2g whole wheat bread, 1 slice
4g brown rice, 1 cup cooked
10g whole wheat pasta, 1 cup cooked
20g Bran cereal, 1 cup

DONNA FAYE I just had the feeling your daughter would love that hat! Now you get to make two more. That is too bad that Jack got sick and missed the concert. Hope he is fully back to exact today. That's too bad you can't have even a small garden in pots since the price of everyting is creeping up ever so high. Is there a "farmers market" where you can get fresh produce that costs less then it does in the markets or your commisary? We have a couple of them here and can get some good produce that we don't grow ourselves. I bought a bar of home made hand soap last year which I am still using and hope she is at the farmers market again this year and I will get some more. If she isn't there I have her phone number I can call and get some that way. It will make wonderful gifts even. I haven't made hand soap in years and don't particulary want to get into that again.

JEAN I keep my Cuties in the fridge drawer and they last as long as I eat 3 a day. They come in a mesh bag. I hope your computer is fixed this day. Those little furry dust bunnies do love to hide in the shadows don't they. Each time when I sweep my office I am surprised at the amount of them. This house isn't sealed real well I do believe ~ else how would the dust get in here.

SUSAN Howdy to you my firend. How ya be this day?

Time to get a move on getting some lunch rounded up. Type at y'all later.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It has been a strange day for weather in my part of the world. We got up to rain and wind. I went to the church to start on my Monday list of automatic checking account contributions so I won't have to do that on Monday if we don't balance right away. I have a luncheon at noon so have to come back home to pick up a neighbor for that. Bob forgot to turn off the water at the cabin and wanted to check the roof to see if the leak spot was still dry, so I rode up with him. The wind up there was even worse than here and we drove home in pouring rain, only to have sunshine a few miles before home. I got my computer back and "stuff" isn't where I had it so have to search.

Maggie -- I need to clean my computer desk off too. For some reason the printer wouldn't load so I have to find the book and CD, which I didn't think we used the first time around. I have a mouse for my laptop but the table it sits on, in the computer room, doesn't have enough room to use the mouse, and I was too lazy to drag everything downstairs last night. Somewhere in my travels I was under the impression spider plants were poisonous to cats. Mine finally bit the dust and I pitched it. It never did have babies. Thanks for sharing the fiber list.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry Jack got sick and missed the concert. I'm glad he felt better today. I had to laugh at Thomas not trying the monkey hat on in public. It was about 20 degrees warmer this morning but the wind is cold! My flannel sheets have felt pretty darn good this week! I hope you got everything done you wanted to accomplish for cleaning chores.

I need to do some more searching for my "stuff." Somehow, I acquired a bad something, not a virus, and the tech dumped everything and reloaded it for me at no charge. I was happy about that! Enjoy your evening and have a great weekend!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! We got up to sunshine and no wind, but now it is foggy. A breeze has come up and storms are supposed to move in later today. The wedding reception isn't until 9 tonight, and Bob says he doesn't care if we go or not. I'm usually thinking "bed" at that time of night! The bride is a teacher and the groom is a car salesman, and they both come from large local families, so I'm guessing the wedding ceremony and meal was just for family.

I need to pick up the kitchen and unload the dishwasher. Enjoy your Saturday!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Rainey Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I have most of my chores done this day and am taking a break. It is raining hard and lots of thunder this day. Some hail came down and of course Beanie had to go out and chase it and catch it with his mouth. He is such a nut. Came in all wet and of course he wanted me to pet him a bit and give him a "good boy" treat. He so wanted me to know he was having so much fun outback. He got the towel treatment and is now asleep in the floor in the front room. I am finally going to break down and order some new clothes. I got a catalogue called "Serengeti" that has some things in it that I really like. I have picked out 5 outfits that I am going to order soon. Later I'll order some more outfits from the same catologue for there are several more in It that I happen to like a lot also. It was hard to make a decision which ones to order first with the certain amount of money aloted for my clothing this go-round. I looked in several catalogues and this one had the most things in it that I like. We are having steak fingers, bakers, corn on the cob and baked beans for dinner this day. I had some soup for lunch and that is all I ate so far this day.

JEAN I have never heard that Spider plants were poisonious to cats. I will have to do some research on that one. My moms grew outside in a plot and never did any harm to cats. But, like I said I will look it up. I certainly don't want to poison my cat.

Hope all you wonderful Magnolias are having a great day this rainey day.

Jean I am back to report: I checked on this website
http://www.i-love-cats.com/Health/toxic-plants.htm
which has very long lists of toxic and non toxic plants for cats and Spider plants are of the non toxic kind. If you go to the web site just scroll down a bit and the lists are there.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-14-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #15  

Good morning to you ladies. I was so busy yesterday I never did get in here. We had commissary shopping to do and then stuff in the afternoon. Jack and I fell asleep for awhile too so that chopped out some of the day.

Maggie: Caftans and moos moos are great to wear around the house. I had a caftan that I bought back in the 70's that I wore until it just plain fell apart. I also bought a swimsuit cover up that was more like a moo moo and I still wear it around the house. I too, wish the squirrel would go away so I could at least have one tomato plant. We have a couple farmer's markets around here, but the one isn't that great and the other one is clear across town by Kelly and I don't know it's hours and such as it is one that is open air in sort of a field. We have an apple farm on the way to the commissary and they have a fruit and veggie stand, but they sell stuff by the boxes and Jack doesn't eat raw tomatoes so I don't want a whole box of them, just a couple so I don't stop and get them. The commissary still has the icky hot house ones, but usually gets local ones soon.

Jean: Sounds like you guys have been busy again. I imagine if you didn't go to the wedding with the big family and all you might not be missed. Speaking of weddings, have you ever watched the series, "Say Yes to the Dress?" They have several, one is a Dallas store, one is Kleinfelds in New York, then they have one that is just about bridesmaids and another is about plus size girls. Anyway, I watche 2-3 episodes of the bridesmaids one the other night and brother what a catty, nasty bunch of women!

Well, this is short and sweet, but we have brunch today with the kids so I need to get chores done before I get ready to go. I made the reservation for 11AM but they are really crowded most of the time so I hope we don't have to wait.

Have a great day today. Faye