Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/..ticker../99

Height: 5'1"

Default What is your post workout meal?

Hi everyone!
I read online, that after a workout, you are suppose to eat protein and carbs. The body needs to digest them quickly, so it is advised to take a protein shake and some dextrose. Is this true? Do I really need a protein shake? Or is it ok to just have lean protein and some complex carbs?
Let me know what you guys are doing, it would be appreciated.
Angelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I just have whatever is available... oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt, leftovers, apple, orange, banana, sometimes some whey protein powder, chicken breast (not anymore tough, I'll explain later) I have never done this but some recommend chocolate milk... they advise nothing with fat in it though...

Now that I am vegan I just eat a fruit... my proteins are of vegetable source ie.: beans tofu, etc... sometimes I have chickpeas...I love chickpeas and will eat them straight up out of the can once rinsed thoroughly...

Last edited by Ilene; 04-10-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #3  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I honestly know very little about how to eat around my workouts (before/after) to get the greatest benefit from them. I, too, have read that one should eat protein and some carbs following a workout, so I often have a Greek yogurt (Chobani 0%) because it's convenient and I love it. . Pre and post-workout eating is something I need to learn more about though.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #4  

Thanks guys!

So I guess I'll just have some protein and a fruit maybe.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #5  

When I first read your post, my thoughts were that for major weight loss, you were overly concerned with post work out food consumption.

But then I saw your ticker. You're not in a major weight loss phase! Your body is in a phase where, like a thermostat, it's going to try to maintain your starting weight. Taking in calories, your body may hold on to them like a theif to attempt to keep your previous weight.

However, I'm assuming you're training hard and replenishment is important for athletes. I'm assuming you have the thermostat thing in mind and under control.

I'm not a nutritionist, but I would go with the lean protein and carbs. There is a fav of mine - Myoplex lite. It's a protein shake. Off the top of my head, idk how many calories, but it is formulated to replenish nutrients in the hour immediately following training with the fewest calories.

I don't drink one after every work out, though. Most of the time, I have no appetite for hours after training to exhaustion. I have to force myself to drink it, even though it tastes like a melted vanilla yogurt shake. Yum.

If I don't drink it, I just make sure every thing that goes into my mouth has a balance of protein carbs and fat.

Last edited by fitness4life; 04-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #6  

Fitness- I'm not majorly concerned about the calorie consumption and I know since I done have much weight to lose it will take a while. However I'm focusing on building lean muscle, so its important for me not to lose what I'm working hard to achieve. I did some more research on the protein shake and found this http://www.theiflife.com/how-much-pr...-build-muscle/
Im deciding against the shake and will just eat a balanced diet after workout. Thank you for the info
Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

It depends really what I've had during the day, but most often I will chug a protein shake down. I bought a giant tub of vanilla protein powder off of amazon and I love the taste...it's certainly going to last me a while

It's a little bit easier for me to fit these in since I'm maintaining.

I usually drink one because I have extra calories and need the protein. I have difficulty getting both from the sources I want (i.e. not "junk" food) because there isn't enough im my house and I live at home right now. It was just easier for me to buy some protein powder and make shakes.

During my losing phase I didn't have any protein shakes and just made sure I was properly fueled before my workouts.

I ended up with a good BF% as I weight trained throughout my weight loss and I still do So I guess I did something right.

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-11-2012 at 06:54 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #8  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

I get these great bars online called Bonk Breakers. They're all natural, taste great and are the perfect ratio of carbs to protein per my nutritionist. They have a high protein version too that I use after really intense work outs.
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #9  

Thanks guys!
I guess I was stressing a little too much about this, since I'm still trying to lose weight and build lean muscle. So in overall, it's about balance and eating right, and not go overboard with calories!

Sontaikle- I sometimes have that problem, most days I find that I'm going under my calorie allowance. Since I'm trying to eat healthy and not "junk" I fill myself up with fruits, veggies and some lean protein but it's not enough most days. Should I force myself to eat extra? I don't want to take the protein shake though.

Have a good day or night!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsmom View Post
Fitness- I'm not majorly concerned about the calorie consumption and I know since I done have much weight to lose it will take a while. However I'm focusing on building lean muscle, so its important for me not to lose what I'm working hard to achieve. I did some more research on the protein shake and found this http://www.theiflife.com/how-much-pr...-build-muscle/
Im deciding against the shake and will just eat a balanced diet after workout. Thank you for the info
I agree with that article. That protein drink I was referring to is not like the ones the article featured, though. We both agree that the balanced meal is the best way to go.

Good luck!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #11  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I like an apple with peanut butter after working out. Or, a green salad with either hard boiled eggs or lean chicken breast. Something about the crispness and juiceness of the salad and fruit and the satiating qualities of peanut butter or eggs/chicken works for me without being too heavy (as exercise is an appetite suppressant for me).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote