General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #1  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Default Wrist size and body type

Is it true that your wrist size determines your body type? I know there are probably exceptions as there are with anything, but I was always curious to see what people thought about this.

I'm 5'6 175 and I think that I have a larger body structure as I carry my weight fairly well and evenly across my body. However, when I do the "wrist test" my fingers slightly overlap which would mean that according to the test I have a "smaller frame". There is nooo way that is true. I know I still have weight to lose but I do not have a small frame hidden under the rest of my weight.

What do you guys think, is the "wrist test" is accurate for you?
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #2  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Isn't true for me either.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

My fingers overlap too... and I think I have a medium frame.

ETA- I used to think I had such a huge frame... I'm realizing, not so much! I'm tall but I wear a size 5 ring and have tiny wrists and elbows. I honestly might have a small framed girl hiding in here, who knows???

Last edited by ValRock; 04-11-2012 at 12:01 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Which wrist test? I can just touch my fingers together, but I also have a wrist measurement just under 6". So is my frame small or medium?

ETA: I think I just have particularly short fingers and a medium frame on the smaller end of medium.

Last edited by Only Me; 04-10-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #5  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Only Me- http://www.ehow.com/how_2346297_dete...rame-size.html
It is the first test they talk about- your longest finger and thumb wrapped around your wrist.

That's interesting to see. I had all my friends do it who are small framed and their fingers overlapped. I probably have a medium frame on second thought. Maybe I just have long fingers!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #6  
threenorns

when they talk about frame size, they don't mean measurements from side to side. you could have narrow hips but a large frame or hips like the broad side of a barn but still be a medium.

it's the actual size of the bones themselves.

f.ex,. me, there's a good inch gap between my fingertips and yes, i know i have a large frame bec my collarbone's easily an inch thick, compared to the average of about 3/4".

check this page: it's got more than one way to determine your frame size

http://www.ehow.com/how_2346297_dete...rame-size.html

Quote:
Use body frame size test two: Measure the smallest part of your wrist, using a tape measure. You might be able to do this on your own, or you might need help.

Compare this measurement to the following chart for women: If your height is under 5 feet 2 inches, then a small body size will have a wrist measurement of less than 5.5 inches; a medium body size will have a wrist measurement from 5.5 to 5.75 inches; a large body size will have a wrist measurement of more than 5.75 inches.

For women whose height is 5 feet 2 inches to 5 feet 5 inches, a small body frame will have a wrist measurement of less than 6 inches; a medium body size will have a wrist measurement from 6 to 6.25 inches; a large body size will have a wrist measurement of more than 6.25 inches.

For women whose height is more than 5 feet 5 inches, a small body frame will have a wrist size of less than 6.25 inches; a medium body frame will have a wrist size from 6.25 to 6.5 inches; a large body frame will have a wrist measurement of more than 6.5 inches.

Read more: How to Determine Body Frame Size | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2346297_dete...#ixzz1rgrSTDTR
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

The measurement with a fabric tape measure is more accurate than fingers overlapping. Therre is also the elbow width test.

And my wrists are 6.75 inches (were 7.25 when I started this, so yes, wrists can have fat!) but that meures as a large frame. I forgot the elbow breadth, but that measured even morer obscenely large framed than the wrist measurement.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Hmm.. I'm 5'6", my fingers overlap when I wrap them around my wrist, and my wrist measures 6". According to that page, that means I have a "small" frame size.

I don't feel like my frame is small, but maybe all those years of being told "you're just big boned!" when I was overweight got to me.

I know for sure weight can affect wrist measurement too, when I was at my highest my fingers wouldn't even touch when wrapped around my wrist... so I wonder how accurate that guide can really be.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #9  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I'm 5'7 220 and my fingers {thumb and middle} have about 3/4 of an inch until they touch. I've known I am 'oversized" a long time and mostly have to buy bracelets/watches/gloves in the mens department or make my own.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #10  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm nearly 6' tall, and my wrist is 8" around. Big frame, my palms are huge but my fingers are not that long. I wear big rings as well as big hats and shoes. Hardy, watermelon-tossing peasant stock here!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #11  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horo View Post
Hmm.. I'm 5'6", my fingers overlap when I wrap them around my wrist, and my wrist measures 6". According to that page, that means I have a "small" frame size.

I don't feel like my frame is small, but maybe all those years of being told "you're just big boned!" when I was overweight got to me.

I know for sure weight can affect wrist measurement too, when I was at my highest my fingers wouldn't even touch when wrapped around my wrist... so I wonder how accurate that guide can really be.
If you're in your 140s and think you can be in the 130s at 5'6", you do not have a large frame.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I always thought I had a large frame, but I'm guessing I have a small or medium frame. I have broad shoulders so I just thought that meant I was large framed too.

When I measure my wrist I get 5.5" now when I used to get 6". My fingers also overlap.

Doing elbow breadth I get a large frame though.

Not sure where that leaves me.

Edit: It really wouldn't be too off the wall for me to be small or medium framed now that I think about it. Most of the family is large framed, but there are a few members (on both sides) that crop up every now and then that are small or medium framed. My great grandfather was quite short and 110lbs for example (poking around the 1940 census is fun!). I guess it's time to do a bit of research

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-11-2012 at 07:07 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

My wrists are tiny (5.5") and so are my hands, shoulders etc - I almost certainly have a small frame but prefer not to dwell on it as it means I could do with losing even more weight, lol.
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #14  

Hmmm, this was interesting to me. My fingers overlap by a full knuckle, my wrist measures 5.75, and at 5'7" this puts me at a small frame.
I have been thinking I was a medium frame all this time, and pretty sure I am medium. But my mom has a very small frame, I think I just assumed because I was taller and just felt bigger than her I was more a medium, plus if she happens to gain a little weight, she is more a pear, so she still looks tiny up top. When I gain, I gain all over and do not look tiny at all. I have a couple friends that are my height that are large framed, so I knew that wasn't me, but small? I don't think so.
I have noticed as I am losing more and more weight that I look "small" to myself, surprisingly. I wonder if you can be small framed up top and large framed on the bottom I don't think my ankle bones would pass the same type test as the wrist
And I certainly don't want to think about where that puts me on weight charts.
I think I will stick with medium in my mind

Last edited by jomatho; 04-11-2012 at 07:33 AM.
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

My wrist is only 5 1/2 inches and I'm 5'8" tall - guess I have a small frame. So I'll have to adjust my weight goal about 10 pounds I suppose...
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote