Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #1  
Idaho

Height: 5'7"

Default Exercise nut - add a serving or switch to Meta Balance

Ugh, my weight is coming off - but slowly. I do exercise (P90X) and would like to do more but am afraid that adding too much activity will stall/slow my loss even more. I ran 2.5 miles Saturday and Sunday and did a cardio interval DVD on Saturday (in addition to my P90X workout) and the scales haven't budged since last Thursday. I still weigh enough (218) that I should be losing more weight/week.

So, my question is:
Keep with Meta Slim menu as is, or add a snack?
Switch to Meta Balance menu?
or stop exercising?

I really want to get in shape, but weight loss is my primary goal at this point.
selway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #2  
bespectacled weirdo

S/C/G: 264/220.9/154

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

I would say talk to your center...they will probably tell you to work out less. Or to drink more HNS

seriously, wow on the exercise, you might just want to cut back to just running or some kind of cardio and see what happens. You may be building up your muscles so even if you are losing fat your weight is staying the same.

Basically it all comes down to talk to your center, they can scan you and tell you if you have gained any muscle or what is going on. Good luck! And wow again!
Galadreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #3  

I had the same condundrum. Here's how I handled it...it is really up to you.

First 2 months: cut back on exercise (basically did yoga and pilates, some walking and dancing, but not much...and never back to back days) and followed metaslim. I needed to drop the weight. And one of my bad habits was to use exercise as an excuse to overeat later (I didn't think of it as overeating, but refueling). I had to break that cycle.

After 2 months I started adding in more walking and elliptical and some run/walk intervals. If I kept it around 20 minutes I was okay. But if I went above (for me 20 minutes is not enough exercise) I was starving. After month 3 I talked to my center (my counselor is awesome) and we switched to metabalance. I was about 15 pounds to goal at that point. My losses slowed, but I increased my activity greatly.

If I were to do it again I'd do it the same way. I had to get out of the cycle of snacking too much after exercising and not seeing exercise as a way to lose weight. What I put in my mouth is much more important. Then add the exercise back in. I have loved adding exercise back in...and the last 15 saw a huge change in my body comp with it (with all the running and strength training).

I'm now on maintenance eating a bit above what I was on metabalance. I run 2x a week for 3 miles, strength train 2x a week circuit style, and 2 other days of other cardio.

I will say that even metabalance is a bit low on carbohydrate if you are doing long runs (above 3 miles). Okay for training runs, but if you are going to do something like a 10K run, you'll need to get more carbohydrate during the 3 days pre-race.

Last edited by nwcgina; 04-09-2012 at 03:48 PM.
nwcgina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #4  
Idaho

Height: 5'7"

Nwcgina and Galadreal - Thank you for the advice. I think I will tone it down for a few days and see if that helps. Looking back at my journal - the day I dropped weight last week was the day that I threw my back out and had to skip exercise to get to the chiropractor!

Galadreal - I don't have a center nearby (Idaho) so I am just an over-the-phone client. I would love to know how much body fat/muscle I am. Maybe I will have to invest in one of those measuring tools. It is just frustrating because 2 years ago I did the program, exercised like crazy and dropped 80 lbs in 13 weeks - much slower this time and the only difference is that I am two years older. Oh well - I will keep experimenting to see what works best for me now. Hang in there at work. I swear I wouldn't have gained so much weight back if I didn't have to go to work where there are constant temptations (birthdays and employee of the month parties, baby showers, retirement parties, etc.)!
selway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #5  
bespectacled weirdo

S/C/G: 264/220.9/154

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

Ahh sorry, yeah, I bought one at amazon, they are fairly inexpensive for a small hand held one. Of course my scale at home (which also measures) always comes out lighter than the handheld one, becuase I am fairly heavy on top. Part of the problem may also be that you have alot more muscle, and muscle weighs so much more than fat. I know when I went in they told me that my ideal weight was between 154 and 182, but it might be higher due to the topheavyness that is me. You could try getting a tapemeasure and just tracking your measurements on your own. It would also help to let you know if you are slimming down despite the stubbornly unmoving scale.

Good luck!

And yeah, my supervisor was passing around spice cake at the morning meeting, and we are having a library party this afternoon, last week we had a birthday party. I have pretty much just had to become a recluse and stay at my desk becuase sitting there while everyone else is eating and laughing drinking my big bottle of water is kind of akward.

I had considered trying the Power 90, becuase I am not in as good of shape as I should be, but I was not sure how it would work, especially with them having a diet guide to go along with it.
Galadreal is offline   Reply With Quote