Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #1  

Default Common Problems

Hey everyone and thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

I am just curious as to what are some of the common problems that all of you have with fitness or dieting.
If you could post your common problems here that would be great.
I am trying to get a feel for what people need help with so I can try to help out more and research these topics for you.

Please let me know!
fatality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #2  
threenorns

i don't have a problem with the actual mechanics - i'm quite well versed in diet and fitness - it's the psycho-social aspects i have a problem with.

i find it difficult to get others to take me seriously - i tell them "no, thank you, it looks delicious but i've already eaten" and they *push* it ("oh, come on, one little bit isn't going to hurt" while they're shoving an overflowing plate in my face) or i am trying to walk for fitness and ppl want to stop me and gab (i put that in another thread and there's ideas in there i'm going to do next time, which will likely be tomorrow morning). or i get ppl telling me "you're losing weight too fast!" (even though i see my dr weekly) and telling me dire stories about their aunt's sister's cousin's daughter's niece who dieted the *exact* same way as i and grew so weak she fell on her head in the middle of her pole dancing fitness class and died.

it's like ppl have some kind of mental short-circuit when you try to climb out of your cozy little box or take white-out and a sharpie to your nice, neat little label.

the mechanics of weight loss and fitness are readily available (if difficult to winnow) but i find the social aspect of changing shape is rarely addressed.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-08-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I find the long drawn out process to be the worst. I just want it to be over so I can go to maintenance eating and final muscle defintion. The inside me is really really fit but the outside me has not caught up yet. The inside me wants to run a marathon and lift weights and bend myself into wacky poses with ease. The outside me is flabby, with cellulite and difficulty running for any length of time. Also, repeated injuries to varying parts of my body because of my zeal are an issue as well. I hate waiting, so I guess waiting for this weight issue to be gone is frustrating. I feel like I have changed, and my body has not caught up. My punishment for allowing this to happen to me is having to wait forever for the fat to go away. I just want it to be over! I feel like I could do so much better at maintenance than loss, and I just want to be there already. I want my exercise to reflect what I feel like, and right now I'm just another fat chick sweating all over the equipment...
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For the most part, 3FC members seem to be pretty knowledgeable (or soon become so by reading the current and old posts, as well as the articles and such on the main page, and on other sites).

Not everyone's an expert on everything of course, but our discussions and debates still can get rather deep into the subjects. We have doctors and other medical professionals, personal trainers and fitness instructors and self-taught amateur-experts, and folks with just a lot of weight loss experience under their belts.

There are of course newbies looking for basic information, but I think what most of us come for is the support and comraderie.

So the best way to contribute is to read the threads and "chime in" on the topics that interest you and are near and dear to your own heart.

If you don't know where to start, you might try using the "new posts" tab at the top of the page. Browse through the thread titles and "jump into" a thread if the thread topic interests you.

You may find a particular niche and want to stick to those threads, or you may flit from topic to topic.

Or start a thread and talk about what interests you.

The only caution I would give would be to try to avoid preachy and teachy tones. "I found this interesting article that says...." works a lot better than throwing information at people, which some of us have learned to associate with spammers selling something or diet "evangelists" who want to persuade and lecture rather than communicate as equals.

The atmosphere here reallly is one of friends getting together to share our experiences, vent, and receive emotional support. Often the most helpful threads/interactions aren't event about factual information, but rather social support and encouragement - a "hang in there, it gets easier," or "that sucks, and I hate that too," and "I get through the same feelings by doing....."

Last edited by kaplods; 04-08-2012 at 10:29 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #5  
Dimply and Huge

S/C/G: 325/200

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
I find the long drawn out process to be the worst. I just want it to be over so I can go to maintenance eating and final muscle defintion. The inside me is really really fit but the outside me has not caught up yet. The inside me wants to run a marathon and lift weights and bend myself into wacky poses with ease. The outside me is flabby, with cellulite and difficulty running for any length of time. Also, repeated injuries to varying parts of my body because of my zeal are an issue as well. I hate waiting, so I guess waiting for this weight issue to be gone is frustrating. I feel like I have changed, and my body has not caught up. My punishment for allowing this to happen to me is having to wait forever for the fat to go away. I just want it to be over! I feel like I could do so much better at maintenance than loss, and I just want to be there already. I want my exercise to reflect what I feel like, and right now I'm just another fat chick sweating all over the equipment...
Exactly. I find the waiting to be the worst part. I know I didn't become this obese over night, but I want to be smaller NOW. So, I really struggle. I saw a picture of me from the side today. I look pregnant! I almost started crying but then told myself "you're fixing this." If only I could fix it a lot sooner...
Resipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #6  
threenorns

if it helps, i had a thought today: going from being very overweight to being even just normal-sized, never mind slim, is creating a whole new life from the ground up.

it's like moving lock, stock, and barrel to a foreign country - you don't expect to have a house, a job, and be speaking the language like a native overnight. it takes time to learn to communicate in the native language; time to meet ppl and make the connections needed to land a job; time to find a home; time to learn the social rules and etiquette. along the way you have setbacks and faux pas - going in the wrong bathroom bec you read the signs wrong, ending up with a plate of steamed squid when you thought you'd asked for lightly-braised filet of sole, and losing your first few jobs bec your language skills were inadequate. but you persevere and overcome and one day you realize that's it - you're there.

i find that helps me a lot - i spent a summer in québec on a non-english farm and another time, i spent 6mo with family in finland and sweden where only my aunt spoke english and the experience is pretty comparable.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-08-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #7  

Thanks for all of the posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipoo View Post
Exactly. I find the waiting to be the worst part. I know I didn't become this obese over night, but I want to be smaller NOW. So, I really struggle. I saw a picture of me from the side today. I look pregnant! I almost started crying but then told myself "you're fixing this." If only I could fix it a lot sooner...
At least it seems like you have the determination to really work and not stop until you achieve your goal. If you don't have determination there is just no way you are going to lose a lot of weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
i don't have a problem with the actual mechanics - i'm quite well versed in diet and fitness - it's the psycho-social aspects i have a problem with.

i find it difficult to get others to take me seriously - i tell them "no, thank you, it looks delicious but i've already eaten" and they *push* it ("oh, come on, one little bit isn't going to hurt" while they're shoving an overflowing plate in my face) or i am trying to walk for fitness and ppl want to stop me and gab (i put that in another thread and there's ideas in there i'm going to do next time, which will likely be tomorrow morning). or i get ppl telling me "you're losing weight too fast!" (even though i see my dr weekly) and telling me dire stories about their aunt's sister's cousin's daughter's niece who dieted the *exact* same way as i and grew so weak she fell on her head in the middle of her pole dancing fitness class and died.

it's like ppl have some kind of mental short-circuit when you try to climb out of your cozy little box or take white-out and a sharpie to your nice, neat little label.

the mechanics of weight loss and fitness are readily available (if difficult to winnow) but i find the social aspect of changing shape is rarely addressed.
Wow I never thought of that before, thank you. I'll see what I can do to help you out with that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
For the most part, 3FC members seem to be pretty knowledgeable (or soon become so by reading the current and old posts, as well as the articles and such on the main page, and on other sites).

Not everyone's an expert on everything of course, but our discussions and debates still can get rather deep into the subjects. We have doctors and other medical professionals, personal trainers and fitness instructors and self-taught amateur-experts, and folks with just a lot of weight loss experience under their belts.

There are of course newbies looking for basic information, but I think what most of us come for is the support and comraderie.

So the best way to contribute is to read the threads and "chime in" on the topics that interest you and are near and dear to your own heart.

If you don't know where to start, you might try using the "new posts" tab at the top of the page. Browse through the thread titles and "jump into" a thread if the thread topic interests you.

You may find a particular niche and want to stick to those threads, or you may flit from topic to topic.

Or start a thread and talk about what interests you.

The only caution I would give would be to try to avoid preachy and teachy tones. "I found this interesting article that says...." works a lot better than throwing information at people, which some of us have learned to associate with spammers selling something or diet "evangelists" who want to persuade and lecture rather than communicate as equals.

The atmosphere here reallly is one of friends getting together to share our experiences, vent, and receive emotional support. Often the most helpful threads/interactions aren't event about factual information, but rather social support and encouragement - a "hang in there, it gets easier," or "that sucks, and I hate that too," and "I get through the same feelings by doing....."
Ok sorry if I came off like that. I will adapt and try to give more emotional support
fatality is offline   Reply With Quote