Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #1  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

Default Dent between chest?

Hi there,
So I've noticed that I've developed a dent between my breasts kind of like the vertical line seen here that runs from her bikini buckle to her belly button. It wasn't there before.
I've been weight lifting every day for the past month and this dent has become defined. I was wondering why that is? It feels like the separation between my rib cage but not all of my friends have it.
Mine isn't as noticeable as it is in the pic but I was wondering whether it was due to weight loss or due to muscle gain? Could it be the formation of abs?
Any insight into this would help. Thanks!
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #2  
Nutella Girl

Well, after researching this, I think I've found out what it is thanks to this article: the linea alba.
Apparently, it's one of those other wondrous effects of getting fit (and here I thought these discoveries would be confined to discovering bones).
I'm still trying to figure out whether it has emerged due to strength training or weight loss. There isn't a lot of information out there.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Probably both. I know this is fairly common. Try to google this and the blog Thin & Curvy or Vernusian Glow. I think one of them might discuss it. I'm at work right now but I'll try coming back her tonight to find the link (or send me a PM if I forgot!).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6

That happens when your body fat gets low enough that your ab muscles start to show. I was kind of freaked out when my linea alba started to show too then I googled around and figured it out what it was, lol.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/180/130

Height: 5'3"

Oooo I LOVE that dent, it's sexy! I think it does happen from doing ab work, because the same thing is happening to me. I've noticed other areas of my body are getting more defined as well. I'm starting to see muscles that I didn't know were there before.
ManicMinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/176.2/168

Height: 5'11

I've been wondering about that too so thank you for mentioning it. It's like I have defined abs but fat still on top. The sides (obliques?) are thinner and then the midsection has two long and narrow (front of body separated with the long line in the center) sections but I know I still have too much body fat for typical abs to show through. Very strange. Glad I am not the only one!
jenjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #7  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Default Wait, What? I Should Not Have That!!!

I agree with others - the dent is normal, especially at your weight.

I'm not even close to my goal weight (I'm ~10 lbs above a normal BMI), and this morning I noticed that I have a tiny, shallow line just like you described. If I clench my stomach muscles, you can see it even better.

This is weird because I have a lot of fat on my torso. I can't even feel muscle when I palpate the area.

So what does that mean? That I have rockin' abs buried deep beneath my fat? Hope so! I've never had abs a day in my life.

Last edited by LiannaKole; 04-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #8  
Nutella Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjulia View Post
It's like I have defined abs but fat still on top. The sides (obliques?) are thinner and then the midsection has two long and narrow (front of body separated with the long line in the center) sections but I know I still have too much body fat for typical abs to show through.
Exactly! It's like the middle has fat which is separated by the line and my sides are skinner. I just want the middle to go away now too Unfortunately, I've started realizing that I may have saggy skin now (I thought I had avoided that) and so, maybe, I'll never be able to look like the photo.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialistic View Post
Exactly! It's like the middle has fat which is separated by the line and my sides are skinner. I just want the middle to go away now too Unfortunately, I've started realizing that I may have saggy skin now (I thought I had avoided that) and so, maybe, I'll never be able to look like the photo.
That's sort of my issue too. I have the line, but my saggy skin is ruining everything.

This is probably gross sounding, but if I pull my extra/saggy skin up, I can see defined abs. So if I didn't have this stupid extra skin I'd probably have some sweet abs going on.

Ah well.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #10  

Oh, I can't wait to see that dent on me, I think it looks so hot. I've only started serious work outs a month ago and I had to take a break from it for a week because I got a cold, then TOM happened. As for the saggy skin, I'm also fearing that, especially since my skin isn't that elastic. Bought some firming lotion, I apply it every night after showering, maybe it's gonna help a little.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote