South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 09:42 AM   #1  

Default Vinegar?

What vinegar taste best on what?
Salads?
What kind does everyone use the most?
Red, Cider, White ....

Thanks
Old 08-10-2003, 10:32 AM   #2  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Usually red on salads, but sometimes Balsamic or a mix of the two. Kinda depends on the salad, and personal preference of course!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 12:20 PM   #3  

White wine vinegar mixes best for a sweet dressing with honey mustard and splenda ... I use red for marinating meat and cider or white for chicken ....
Old 08-10-2003, 12:51 PM   #4  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I love rice wine vinegar for oriental style dressings and marinades, red wine vinegar for more traditional marinades and italian style dressings, and balsamic is a must have if you need to really kick up the flavor...great splashed on chicken before grilling, or on roasted veggies. Experiment...there are a ton of great vinegars available that can really perk up your cooking!

Have fun!
Old 08-10-2003, 08:08 PM   #5  

My favorite for salads is the seasoned rice vinegar. I did like the balsamic though. I haven't tried just the red wine vinegar. Also, if you just can't stand eating the salads without the creamy dressing, check in the organic section. I found some great natural dressings that have 0 sugar.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:55 PM   #6  
it's always something

I was using seasoned rice vinegar, especially on cucumbers. And then I read the label It seems it's seasoned with corn syrup, and contains 5 g sugar per tablespoon! I admit I'm still using it, but I sprinkle it very lightly.

I have a few bottles of balsamic vinegar that I've been using lately to marinate chicken or use in salads. I've had them since January, but they've just been sitting on my shelf looking pretty, lol, until I started this diet plan. I bought them at TJ Maxx, which is a great place to get expensive balsamic vinegars at a very reasonable price. My favorite is a balsamic fig vinegar.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:56 AM   #7  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Default Yikes!

Suzanne, your post had me running to the cabinet to check my seasoned rice wine vinegar! The brand I have (KaMe) has only 2g of sugars per tablespoon, so that's not as bad as 5g! I haven't been able to find any dressing under 3g of sugar per serving, so 2g doesn't stack up too badly.

I will have to try TJ Maxx for vinegar...I love all the fancy bottles, too!
Old 08-11-2003, 09:46 AM   #8  
it's always something

I'll look for KaMe next time! I have Nakano brand, with 5g sugar.

Grrrr... I just read the label on my favorite vinegar, Fruttati Balsamic Fig. 10g sugar per tablespoon. I was much happier when I thought the bottle didn't have a nutrition label! (what you don't know won't hurt you???? )
Old 08-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #9  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Suzanne, I went to TJMaxx today and scoped out all the vinegars! I ended up getting a "champagne vinegar" and a bottle of lemon olive oil! It just sounded so summery and refreshing.

I am looking forward to a nice, crisp vinagrette on my salad tonight! Yumm...Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-11-2003, 07:28 PM   #10  
Mous

Safe Salad Dressings

What makes store-bought salad dressings South Beach Diet-friendly? Any commercial dressing with less than 3 grams of sugar per serving is permitted on the South Beach Diet. Newman's Own, which contains 1 gram of sugar per serving, is a good choice. Caesar and blue cheese dressings are fine, too, as long as no more than 3 grams of sugar have been added.

Be careful of low-fat or non-fat dressings. Many times, low-fat products have more sugar added to enhance flavor that was lost as a result of fat reduction. You should also check the label for hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, which are the "bad" trans-fatty acids that have been found to raise cholesterol levels. Dressings with the "good" fats-particularly olive oil-are fine. Vinegar and oil help to slow digestion and eliminate hunger.

Going to have a look see and then I may celebrate or continue to make my own!

Night

Lady
Old 08-11-2003, 08:21 PM   #11  

Kraft Light Done Right makes a Classic Caesar dressing which is very good and has <1 g sugar per serving.

For those of you that use red wine or white wine vinegar, can you please share your dressing recipes? I use Balsamic vinegar in my dressing and I like it but I think it's a little too strong.
Closed Thread