Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Default Exercise classes!

Tell me your experience with them - my gym TWO BLOCKS away from me offers a whole bunch, and I want to try 'em out..but I'm a bit intimidated

How do they work for you?
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I've only been to Zumba. All women of every shape and size, some huge, some tiny, probably the least intimidating environment ever. No one REALLY knows the moves and it's super supportive.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #3  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Agreed on above... I go to Zumba too. I go with 2 or 3 friends and we have a BLAST not only acting like spazzes, but making fun of others. I'll be honest, thats my favorite part. The calorie burn is just a nice bonus!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I started out going to Zumba, but then added in BodyPump and BodyStep and occasionally studio cycling and yoga. I love, love, love the classes. I found, for me, that zumba wasn't my thing. But with so many other options, I found what worked for me. I take classes 4-5 times a week.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

I have done just about every class that my gym has offered now and liked them all (some more than other). They are great fun! Do NOT be intimidated! Women and men of all ages, weights, and athletic level attend!

My favorites are cardio kickboxing and zumba. My least favorites are step (bc I am already super clumsy and uncoordinated, add in steps = disaster).

I prefer the classes over traditional workouts on machines or home-dvds because the motivation from the instructor and fellow classmates really get you going. Time passes by much faster and I feel like the workout is more intense.
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I started out going to group fitness classes when I was 16. I love them. I still go to the same gym and just about everyone there knows me.

Once you're a regular you really build up a little family great way to stay accountable too! They question you if you disappear!

Happens to me whenever I'm off (I'm a teacher, so when the kids have breaks..) and I go in the morning instead of the evening. The evening people yell at me when I come back!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #7  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I love the camaraderie of group exercise classes. I usually work harder in classes than I would on my own.

My suggestion is just to go ... try out a class that appeals to you. Your gym probably has a description for each class type. Rest assured, you will find people of all levels, shapes and sizes there. It may take a while to catch on to all of the moves - that's normal! Just do what you can, and have fun with it. Before you know it, you'll be a pro.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Just do it! Classes are great, as someone said the camaradery is the best like a small family...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
I love the camaraderie of group exercise classes. I usually work harder in classes than I would on my own.
This is so true!!! I would never, ever do as much if I had to do it on my own. Strength training on my own? Nope. The interveral training in step class? NEVER. I do them because the class is doing them. It's why I can't do machines and solo stuff. I totally would give up and say to myself that "I'm done" where if in a class with 10 more steps or reps, I would tough it out.

And yes, all different sizes and abilities in classes. Anyone and every can join in!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #10  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

I do classes because the gym intimidates me and I love the supportive atmosphere of classes and having an instructor to spur me on and keep me motivated!

My gym doesn't offer too many choices at the moment, but are getting some more soon, and I can't wait!

I do Body Pump, spinning & hydro jog a couple of times each week.

The only one I haven't tried yet is Body Attack, and I wish I'd just take the plunge and give it a go! I'd also love to do pilates, but the classes are only once a week when I can't make it.
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 199/154/125

Height: 5'3"

I also do Body Pump. I'm a huge fan of Les Mills classes, and I highly recommend them. They are well-taught and easy to follow, the instructors will definitely help you if you ask for it, and I've seen really great results. I like to do Body Step and Sh'Bam in addition to Pump.

I've done Zumba but I don't like it as much because I don't think that the instruction is very clear. And there's a lot more variation from teacher to teacher than in the Les Mills classes, because the training for Les Mills is more rigorous than Zumba.
jazzfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #12  
threenorns

love zumba but i REALLY loved cardio kickboxing even though i only went the once (i gave the instructor a bloody nose and was too embarrassed to go back).

peek into the classes while they're in session and you'll quickly see if they're a giggling fun bunch or if it's more a "boot camp" drill instructor style and which you'd prefer.