Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: WHICH DO YOU FEEL IS THE HARDEST TO FIND THINGS TO EAT ON SB?
BREAKFAST 5 21.74%
LUNCH 5 21.74%
DINNER 3 13.04%
SNACKS 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 07:08 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Post Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 8/11-8/17

This is the
SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD
where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIPS & FACTS & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FUNNIES

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=30451

Then there's our latest addition to the SB BOARDS which is called OFF THE EATEN PATH This board is for everything NOT related to SB. You can use this board to post questions or comments on just about anything (okay, within reason). A book you recommend, a cleaning tip, a great website deal, etc. etc. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=90

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit POST REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!

Old 08-11-2003, 07:10 AM   #2  

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Will post my usual morning post sometime later, but wanted to make sure I got our
MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
done early in the morning, so here's my contribution for MM, there's 2 of them to read today:

HIGHEST PERSEPECTIVE

If the little things are getting you down, then spend some time and thought looking up. The more you connect yourself to the big picture, the less you'll be dragged down by all the little frustrations.

If you have no idea of where you're headed, then the smallest setbacks can get blown completely out of proportion. That's because they're the only things you have to focus on.

When you can frame events in a bigger perspective, the little annoyances and frustrations become just that -- little. See clearly where the road is leading, and you won't be bothered by the rocks and pebbles over which you must travel. In fact, you'll even begin to value and appreciate them. For they will serve to confirm that you're truly making progress.

The higher you aim your focus and your efforts, the more resilient you will be. The more positive and meaningful you make the big picture, the more successfully you'll be at dealing with the challenges.

See life from the highest perspective your thoughts can attain. And you'll steadily, gracefully work your way there.

-- Ralph Marston

A WAY FORWARD

What could you do that would transform your most burdensome limitation into a valuable and positive asset? What could you do that would turn your enemy into your friend?

Does that sound impossible? It's not. Rather than being stuck behind your circumstances, you can become invigorated and inspired by them. Think of all the great triumphs that had their beginnings in seemingly hopeless situations.

Certainly life can be cruel and unfair to you, but that is no reason to keep yourself down. In fact, it is a very good reason to push forward with persistence and determination.

Yes, there is difficulty all around. And that's what makes your positive, loving, caring, life-affirming actions so valuable and so absolutely essential. Take your imagination, your resources, your faith, your curiosity, your compassion, your strength, your determination, put them to work, and find a way forward. Find it, live it, and transform your world.

-- Ralph Marston

Have a wonderful day, and a fabulous week!!!!!

Debbie
194/1??/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 08-11-2003, 07:13 AM   #3  

This weeks challenges are the usual water challenge of trying to drink at least 64oz of water as well as trying to do at least 3 days of exercise.

YOUR NEW CHALLENGE FOR THIS WEEK: As many days as you can, post WHAT STARCHY CARBS YOU ATE FOR THE DAY Try to list amounts if you can as well
Old 08-11-2003, 07:56 AM   #4  

Monday--Good Morning everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend and now that you're on the other side of it, you are ready for a productive, successful week.

DEB---Glad to see you back. We missed you.

ROSALIE---Thanks for being the assistant to the DM last week.

Gotta go. If I sit here much longer, I'll be asleep.

Kim
Old 08-11-2003, 07:58 AM   #5  

Morning!

No work for Monet this morning.... thank God! I am so tired, and still sick. The congestion has moved into my chest and now I am developing a nasty cough. I hope it gets better before I have to work tomorrow! To add insult to injury, PMS turned into DMS yesterday, and I feel really bad from that this morning as well.

I am leaving to go for lab work in a few minutes. Its the usual fasting insulin and thyroid tests. I am not hungry yet, which is a good thing. I often get nauseated if I don't eat, so these fasting tests are hard!

I made gazpacho on Saturday afternoon, and ate the whole batch myself. It was delicious! I finished it off last night before bed. I think I am going to keep some made up in the fridge. It is a perfect way to get in fresh veggies.

I am still struggling with staying on program. I am going to chose today to be the end of the slide, and beginning of recommitment. Its the end of the summer here, and school started today. Seems like a good time to turn over a new leaf.

I will be back to write some replies later.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:18 AM   #6  

Default I am new to SB

I am new to SB, in fact I will officially begin the program this morning. I weigh 276 lbs and am 45 years old. I need to lose about 125 lbs. What I need to know is if this is a realistic goal with the SB plan. I have a copy of the old book but I must be missing the section that deals with portions. Does anyone know what portions I would need to eat to lose weight? Is there a range of calories I need to stay within? As you can tell, I am not
sure what to do. I just know that my cardiologist said I have to pull off the weight and he suggested I read the SB book. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:21 AM   #7  

Talking Happy Motivational Monday

My contribution for MM:

"The secret of contentment is the realizaton that life is a gift not a right." God's Little Instruction Book for Women.

Last night I read an article about Gratitude. The article had a profound affect on me. It said, "Recognizing that we can't control what happens to us, only how we react to what happens is the key to contentment." Gratitude for what we have and even just the beauty of nature is the key to contentment. I feel that emotional eating, which I do is because I am not controlling how I react to what happens in my life, is a result of not having this attitude of being grateful for the good things. So my resolve this week is to be thankful for the small things in life and the big things and to remember to react to what happens in life with this perspective.

YEA DEBBIE IS BACK...Debbie we missed you. Glad you are back.

Rosalie...Thanks for a great job of keeping us going.

Monet...hope you are better. When I've had the glucose test they've told me that illness can affect my sugar levels. You may want to ask them...

Weighed in for WW today and had lost another pound...

Everyone have a great day!

Anna
222/174/140
Old 08-11-2003, 09:00 AM   #8  
Bustin' Buddy

Good Monday Morning

I don't have much to post being that I did a long post last night. But, I just wanted to pop in before heading to school to say hello!

BEACH: My friend told me about the Louisiana Lagniappe place but we couldn't find it. I really wanted to try that place out. We always laugh because everyone "claims" to be a Louisiana type rest. and they are no where close. So, when a fellow Louisianian tells me a place is good - I want to try it out! Someone also said something about Zeke's - so it must really be good! Those Romar house condos do look really nice - there are so many - kind of like the Phoenix chain.

Well, I'll check in tonight hopefully!

Missy
286/281/170
Old 08-11-2003, 09:29 AM   #9  

Good Monday Morning All

Whew! It's good to be back I've missed you all!!!

I'm going to try to get in a whirlwind post of some of the happenings since I've been gone but know if I go in to all details I'll never get this post done as I'd be typing non-stop for days, so I'll give you a shortened versioned.

Let's go right to the heart of the matter - I've gained a lot of weight. I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately. It wasn't so bad until the trip, I'd of course gained some weight but it was manageable. All the planning of staying on track like TRANQUIL did was thrown out the door after day one of being on the road. I ate through each state I drove through and nothing really good either, just plain ol junk. It just got worse. You all know I'm an emotional eater and boy, the emotions were really getting the best of me. Unfortunately, when I returned home, the eating didn't get any better, actually worse and now I REALLY feel my body stretching in all directions from the weight I've gained. My clothes are not only tight on me, and being I wear stretchy pants, that alone should say something of how bad it is, but nothing fits me at all.

I am back on track today. Journaling my food and feeling the drive to undo all that I've done, all without any time frames as I know this is going to take me time once again to get this weight off. I was lying in bed this morning, thinking about how I've lost and gained and lost and gained, gained, gained and lost and gained over the years and did realize something that, even though I've always sworn that I'd never gain back the weight once I had lost it in the past (but always have gained) that, even though it's taking years, I must be learning something as when I've lost weight and met my goal at that time, even though I've gained weight back, each time I've riden on this roller coaster ride I've never gone back to my original pre-diet weight. At one point, one of the diets I started years ago, I started at 240+, when I gained back weight, when I started SB, it was at 194, so here I am gain, gosh knows at what weight, but definitely not up at 194, or anywhere near that, but at least I caught myself before I found myself close to that number.

I won't get on the scale - it depresses me and stresses me out at you all so well know Going to go by how I feel and how the clothes fit better. I don't plan on getting on a scale until the end of the year-I'd like to throw the metal monster away!!!!

Enough of my diet woes-I know I don't have to explain it all to you without you all knowing and understanding. It's a never ending battle that can't be won. As I've always said, I have to look at this as a battle that seems to call a truce, raises the white flag, yet, if I am not careful, as I haven't been, the enemy (fat/bad eating habits, etc) can re-group and attack without notice, raging an all out war once again, as it has. What I have to look at is not so much the negativity of all this but at the positive, which is all of you who I have for understanding and support, my TROOPS, who will help get me back to my goal

Enough said

TRIP, well, as many of you know, I didn't want to go on this trip. Having driven over 3000 miles sucked. It was nice to spend some time with my cousins, went to NY, hated NYU, had never wanted to go to NYC, only liked going to the Broadway show of 42 STREET with LAUREN (boys went to see LION KING). Hated NY and couldn't wait to leave-my time limit there would be 3-4 days MAX if I ever had to go again, not that I stayed that long there, but that would be the MAX I could ever stay in that environment.

I have to say, the highlight of the entire trip was seeing and visiting with LYNN (YELLOWROSE) & RAY!!!! For those of you who've been fortunate enough to meet LYNN you know what an awesome person she is! Well, RAY is just as awesome a person and when you meet the two of them together you know why they are together. I had such a fantastic time with them that I didn't want to leave. And, when LYNN talks about the TREE HOUSE, well, you just can't imagine unless you see if for yourself what she's actually talking about - it's such an incredible home. I wish you could all see it for yourself. I have to say, beyond spending time with them both, the hummingbird watching was definitely a great experience. The kids and I both had a fantastic time. I could go on and on about those two and the wonderful hospitality they showed, but if I did, you'd all be making reservations to go see them

Of course, you all heard about the wonderful drive home - what a mess, headache, disaster that was! That only added more stress and emotional eating to what was taking place. That cost me $1500 that I hadn't expected, and boy, with no money as it is and this happening, well, I just kept on eating. Thankfully, it got fixed and the guy really knew what he was doing. I just hope the used transmission I got keeps working, I need to keep this car for a few more years. It has 92+K miles on it but after all the money and new parts I've put in to it lately, it better last to 192K miles!!!! Of course, it didn't stop there - when the guy put my car up on the lift he showed me where I was riding on metal in the tires, so when I got home - had to buy 2 new tires - does it ever end?

WEDDING - it was a nice wedding and even nicer to see so many cousins I haven't seen in eons, to the point I didn't recognize many of them. My GRANDMOTHER made it but it wasn't easy for everyone to see her. My mother and aunt had a difficult time just getting her in the car to go there. It's terrible to see how she's gone downhill so quickly and for those who hadn't seen her in so long it was especially hard. Family members were just crying on and off during the whole reception. My cousins SHARI was hysterical and had to go out of the room. I was happy I wasn't at THAT table! My cousin who got married kept losing it as well. As my DM said, they should be crying tears of joy that she made it to a happy occasion. I do believe the wedding is what kept her going and now, it's just a day-to-day wait and see with her. There's nothing that can be done and it's just a matter of time.

I have to say, where my cousin got married, very Hoiti Toiti place in West Palm Beach - have to be rich to go there, that's for sure, but I have to tell you guys, the food sucked! Give me OUTBACK or even OLE OLE any day. They may be rich, but darn if they can cook!!!!!!!!!!! It was so funny when we all went in to the bathrooms, LAUREN was asking for paper towel and didn't realize the REAL TOWELS that were on the counter were there for her to use in place of!

TOE - yes, it's still sore. Would help if I'd stopped hitting it I think but darn, why should anything go right for me???? I finally taped it yesterday in hopes it will help heal a little faster - I know, 4 weeks later and I'm just now taping it I thought about going to walk this morning and figured I should wait just one more week to let it heal better. It's been hard not exercising at all this summer - another issue to work on.

I did not really have time to read any of the board while I was gone, so please, forgive me AND if you can, update me of any pertinent happenings so I can feel somewhat connected here. For all of you who are new members, I hope to get to know you as I get back to my usual self and the board.

There's a ton more that I could write, but as I said, if I do, I'd never get this posted up on the board and I need to make a start somewhere, so as I remember things, I'll throw them in if I find them important enough to bore you with them

Just know, I'm back, in more ways than one. If I don't post a lot this week, please understand, there's still a lot going on this week that I have to take care of-I have tons of e-mails to filter through, tons of bills that are overdue, meeting on Thursday, have to take MICHAEL to pick out his Senior pics, have to take the kids for blood tests, take the car back because the alignment doesn't seem to have been done (still pulls to the right), etc. etc. I will do my utmost best to get on every chance I can, but with the kids both with projects that have to be done before school starts (Aug. 25th) along with a new project MICHAEL is doing about the homeless, well, I'm sure you can understand! Oh, did I mention how tired I am with all this going on????????

QUILTER - MISSED YOU AND EVERYONE TOO!!!!!!

MONET, sorry to hear you are sick - hope you get better really quick! We can re-commit together!!!

GRAMMY, Glad you are joining us. Absolutely, your goal is doable as long as you are commited. I can tell you, despite what I've written above, I reached my goal with SB and it was by far, the easiest WOE to follow. The book can be confusing and contradictory, it's not you, it's the book. If you'd like, you can e-mail me with your stats and I can give you an idea of how much you should be eating and what portions. Just include your starting weight, goal weight, height, age and e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll do that and send the info back for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we're all more than happy to help!!!

BEACH, glad to be back and of course, I can't say enough times how much I missed everyone! Looks like you are really doing well being back on track - I'm hoping to follow right in your footsteps. We'll both get back to goal!!!!!!!

FRUIT, when are we going to talk???????????? E-mail me and tell me a good day and time, anytime after 9pm est.

Okay gals, I'm outta here. I will be on later. LAUREN is going to babysit and MICHAEL slept at his friends house, so he's not here. I do have quite a few errands to run today, but I'm for sure getting back on the board at least a few more times today. I have to - it definitely helps keep me honest!!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 08-11-2003, 09:34 AM   #10  
Goddess

Thumbs down Good Monday Morning!

Morning all!

Could it be? A 3rd day of Sunshine in Bama??????

I love positing on Monday mornings--the only day of the week I feel caught up!

Fruit--Uh-oh, if you aren't excited about football season, then I'm REALLY worried about you! I know this is a rough time for you and I pray that God will lead you to the child he has for you.

Anna--congrats on another pound lost! I like the message about gratitude!

tysgrammy--Welcome to out little corner of the world! The book doesn't have a lot to say about portions--it just says that your food should fit on the flat portion of a plate without hanging over the sides and that you shouldn't go back for seconds. It's not a bad guide, it you think about it. They offer no calorie guidelines because this WOE is not about counting calories. Many of us have found that when beginning this way of eating (WOE) that it is best just to get all the refined sugar out of your system. So eat the right foods and don't worry too much about portions for the first week or so. Then if you want to really look at portions (which is a good idea) there are plenty of folks on this board--especially Debbie that can help you to identify a calorie target. Hope this helps!

Monet--Sorry you still aren't feeling well. I hope the tests go well and you get to eat something soon!

Kim--I hope you have a good OP week this week! Let's get to it!

Deb--It's good to have you back!

Have a great OP day everyone!

Susan
Old 08-11-2003, 09:40 AM   #11  
Goddess

Hey Deb--we were posting at the same time! Sounds like you had a loooooong trip! Glad to have you back and on the board--you know we'll kick your butt back into shape! I'd suggest tough love, but I don't think we can be any tougher on you that you are on yourself! Get back on track today and take it one day at the time!

Susan
Old 08-11-2003, 10:37 AM   #12  

Default Good morning monday!

Hey Everyone!

Well, I had the most op weekend yet (weekends seem to be tough, I think b/c DH doesn't usually feel like cooking, which he does most of the week, and b/c despite our respective weights we are both very indecisive about food). I was op from Monday to Saturday and then yesterday I had to go to a b-bque at a classmates house, had a huge headache and had to drive two hours to get there so, I wasn't op at all. But honestly, despite the excuses I just made I had decided previously to just not worry about it. To not go hog-wild but to enjoy myself (I ate about 10 doritos, a cheeseburger and hotdog, both with regular buns). My biggest disappointment was not getting in the water I wanted to, but I'll be back to it today.

I will also be back to exercising today, I was supposed to walk on the treadmill last night, but I fell off my stoop taking the recycling out and banged up my calf so I took some excerdrin and let it go for the night. I think I'll do yoga today.

beachfan: thanks so much for your post this morning. I was feeling really annoyed this morning b/c I got woken up by the phone and had been having a bad night sleep to begin with and then not being able to go back to sleep. But I'm not going to let being tired get me down. Worse comes to worse I'll take a nap later.

Debbie: Could I send you my stats too? I've been doing SB for three weeks (lost 3-3.5 #) and it feels like the right way to live, but I need a little more structure than the book gives. I've been thinking about doing WW with SB, but time is going to become an issue come september when I start internship. So maybe if you could give me some portion control guidelines or other advice that would be helpful. Thanks.

Everyone have a great day!
Steph
Old 08-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #13  
Little Engine That Could

Fruit--I hear ya, kiddo. Yes, the "Man upstairs" sees how you are handling your disappointment. But, Fruit, He is not some celestial Santa Claus that gives you what you want if you are "good" and withholds it if you are "bad." The happiness he is most interested in for you is (1) your contentment and peace of heart even when circumstances are not so great [and you have to admit that generally, circumstances are often the pits in an imperfect world], and (2) your joy and happiness for all eternity. If you understand his Word and know that your position with The Man is such that you are assured of the eternity thing, then the 80 or so years you have here on earth are insignificant in comparison. In fact, the eternity thing is the REAL prize, and your assurance of that can make a big difference in if you are happy or not. It can also make a difference in how you handle the adversities that a corrupted world sends your way. You can have a life so filled with purpose that you will be awestruck, if you are "workin' wid da Man."
I can remember perfectly the day my DH and I decided to give up all the striving and worry and control and admit that we could not control the pregnancy thing. (And that was 33 years agobut just like yesterday!) We were sitting in a Morrison's Cafeteria on Colonial Drive in Orlando having lunch on a Wednesday during the summer of 1970. I was working at Merrill-Lynch and my DH and I were having a rare lunch together. We had, by then, been through 6 years of "trying." In our conversation, we decided to "give it all up" and look into adoption. Actually, we decided to actually apply to adopt a baby. Six months later we had our son. The decision we made on that Wednesday was one of the most freeing things I have ever done. It was like a big weight had been removed from my heart. Both of our children are definitely "our own." In fact, we all believe that God intended these particular two individuals to be part of our particular family. Our DD, with whom we had some hard times a number of years ago, laughs now with me when she says, "Mom, I think I'm turning out to be just like you!" Don't forget, Fruit, that Moses, Jesus, and Samuel were all adopted, and God certainly had his hand in that.
I'm definitely not God, and don't know all about how he thinks, but I might guess that he is allowing this in your life so that he can work on what he considers to be even more important: your character, your trust in his love for you even when circumstances are not what you want, and your living out the fact that your Purpose is more than just having children. Fruit, your life is not about your weight or about your having children through vaginal birth. It's much more important than that!! Love ya, kiddo. Hang in there!

Beach--I loved your motiv. thought. I agree with you 100% about the emotional eating. I think that I probably do that, too, in some vague effort to have some control over my part of the world which seems out of control. I've been working on a talk that I will be giving next month to a group of women and one thing that some material in the Book I've been reading in preparation has emphasized so strongly is that real personal change begins in the mind and heart. When I examine myself and my puny efforts at change by just "gritting my teeth and doing it" I can see that I need to work on an attitude change first. I have to change my mind about some things that I have been holding on to. Hmmm.

Monet--Get better soon.

Yea Debbie. We?re so glad to see you and hope your weekend went well. Sorry you had so much trouble with your car on your trip. Hope things will get back to normal for you soon.

Good challenge this week. So far I've had 3 Tablespoons of raw oatmeal. I used it in the SB pancakes I had for breakfast. I also had some cut-up fruit on top--5 cherries, 5 grapes, 5 strawberries. Mmmmm, good. Debbie, do you think that was too much fruit? I also had cottage cheese and an egg in the pancakes.

Well, it is NOT raining. In fact, last evening was so lovely that I put the top down on my car. It was in the 80's and cool. But it has a slightly overcast look right now and I haven't done my walk yet. So will sign off and get cracking so I can get in my exercise.

Toodles.

Last edited by GatorGal; 08-11-2003 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:01 AM   #14  

Hello all!

Sorry to have been MIA for awhile again. Too much going on in my life these days. My youngest started Kindergarden and much much stress at work.

I'm glad to report that I am LOVING going to Curves. I'm starting on my 5th week now. I didn't get to go 3 times for 2 of those weeks because of travel and illness, but am determined to get 3-4 days in unless it is absolutely impossible from now on.

I'm in on the water challenge. I've got 30 oz in already this morning (3 trips to the girls room too).

Deb - well you made me feel a little better seeing as how I'm not the only one who has really made a mess of this WOE lately. I must say though, I did get on the scale this morning and it was back up to my highest ever (except pregnancy). I think that is motivation enough for me to get with it and back on program.

I've gotta run for now.
TV
Old 08-11-2003, 11:50 AM   #15  

Default Question

Okay...I have a question. And I know to some this is going to sound like an excuse, and maybe it is, partially b/c I feel like I'm not really losing doing this WOE (I was down a total of 3.5 last week, after 3 weeks and now I'm back up 1.5). Although I guess I should be happy I'm not really gaining just fluctuation within 5 #'s.

Anyway, I was once told I was allergic to wheat (skin test). But I disregarded it b/c the dr was a bit of a wack and did all these hi-tech tests and I still didn't lose. Has anyone else ever been told this? WHat did you do? Did SB still work for you? If I am allergic, but have increased my whole wheat intake, could that be why despite exercising and sleeping more than I have in years I'm still exhausted all the time? Or have other's felt tired and had slow weight lose in the beginning and then things got better after a while?

I am so confused! You are all so wonderful! And I don't want to give up on this (It makes so much sense intuitively), but it feels like this is becoming one more thing that doesn't work for me

Thanks, Steph
Closed Thread