Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

Default Discouraged! Self esteem has taken a beating this week.

I am looking for words of encouragement.
I've been working really hard, and have lost 17 pounds since the end of January (and 20 total since having my baby). I've had a couple of people comment that I look like I've lost weight, and that's made me feel really good about myself. I've also had a couple pairs of pants that didn't fit at all 3 months ago fit me well enough to add them back into my wardrobe, which is also awesome.
But of course there's always gotta be something to bring me down! I've been fitting into size 16 pants from a certain store, and today a friend gave me a pair of size 18's from another store...and they're too small I can get into them, but they're skin tight. I know different stores size differently, but it's really discouraged me. Also, I found a document I had created the last time I started a weight loss journey (fell off the wagon pretty quickly that time, sadly)...my weight was a few pounds higher than it is now, but according to my measurements, my waist right now is almost 2 inches bigger!
Ugh, I was feeling so good about myself, and now I feel like a big fat blob. Does this happen to anyone else, where you are doing so well, and then something (or things) come along and just knock you right back down??

Last edited by PinkLotus; 04-02-2012 at 09:06 PM.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Sending big hugs...stay focused! After a baby, your body will respond differently to weight loss. Don't give up. Your measurements will be back again and even better. On clothing, those sizes are all over the Board. I have a friend who is probably a perfect size 0-2 (she's 6 feet and model gorgeous). She told me she's had to buy more than 6 sizes higher because of the cut and/or fit.

You're doing great....keep your eyes on the goal. Cheering you on !!!!!
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Different stores have different sizes. A 16 in one store isn't the same in another. It isn't you, it's the pants.
Something will always come and knock you down. It's how you handle the falling down. Don't let it get you down.
You lost 17 lbs since Jan. Good for you! Celebrate that and your path to good health.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #4  

Thank you
I've done so well at staying rational, but today, I just feel so down in the dumps because of those two things. You are both right, and I know it deep down...it's just hard to remember on days like today!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #5  

First of all CONGRATULATION on your new baby!!! How exciting! Give yourself a break you just had a baby. As you go down in size take the clothes that are too big and box them up. Look forward to the new wardrobe selection you are fitting into.

As for the sizing of women’s clothing the best thing to do is take a cloth measuring tape to the waist band of pants and measure across the bust for the tops. The clothing manufacturers are all over the place with sizes and it really depends on the cut of the clothes too. When buying new clothes online always look at the sizing charts for each item.

Tell yourself positive things and don’t beat yourself up or call yourself names, no one is a blob. Start making better decisions today and never let a crisis be your excuse to hurt yourself. Good Luck and keep up the good fight!

Jen
JEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #6  

Thank you so much! Today is just a bad day. I'm hoping to be a little more rational tomorrow
Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/244.5/175

gives hugs to PinkLotus
marronyeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #8  
Dimply and Huge

S/C/G: 325/200

Height: 5'6

Sending you warm thoughts.
Resipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

I have found maybe 2 brands where I can wear a size 16, then are are other's where 18's are way too small. So frustrating. And, yes, you just had a baby. Congrats, by the way! You're body is different and the weight will come off in different places first. You're doing great! I wasn't rational for a long time after having my babies...still not. Tomorrow will be a better day.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Jeans are lame. I JUST got into 18w, yet I read stories all over this board about being '200 in a size 14' and I'm like.....what? We're all shaped differently. Nothing we can really do about it.

I wonder, did you just have a baby late last year? How long does it take for bellies to get back to where they were? Maybe some never do - and that would explain the difference in measurements, not fat.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #11  

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the encouragement. I'm so glad I found this forum.
I've had weight problems for many years, but always had a somewhat flat stomach (especially in comparison to the rest of my body). But since I had my baby, my stomach has been flabby and floppy and just awful. Don't get me wrong, it was well worth it, but it really sucks that the ONE thing my body kinda had goin' for it is gone. I doubt it'll ever be the same...but you never know.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #12  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

Height: 5'2"

Hugs Lotus!
We definitely all have these kinds of days. I am trying to keep them at bay myself, but they're gonna happen. Currently I have a pair of 16's I can just get away with wearing, and also have 20's that I couldn't zip if my life depended on it. Sizing has gotten so screwed up over the years that it's something that I just try not to think about too much. It's frustrating to say the least.
I am the same as you, before kids even at a high weight I never really had the obese looking stomach area.. it was relatively flat, smooth, what have you. LOL
Several c-sections later it's a whole different story and definitely the part of my body that discourages me the most. And I am already dreading the whole loose skin aspect I will most definitely have at the end of my loss.

Anyway, just wanted to pass on some
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/168.6/145

Height: 5'4"

Just yesterday I pulled out some boxes of clothing that I had packed away because they were too small and I thought I'd see what I had(they had been in there a few years). Anyway I had about 10 pairs of jeans that were a size 20(I was currently wearing a 22 jeans that were all hang-doggy in the butt). Four of the pairs were not something I'd see myself wearing and went into the donate pile. So I tried on the other six pairs, 3 pairs I could button up and wear just fine. The other 3 pairs I could not button....... UGH!! All were different brands!

My encouragement for you......

Use those miss-sized 18 to be your next goal! And you know those old measurements you found??? Those are the past, we have all been different sizes in our lifetime. But guess what that 17lbs that you have lost so far...that is your future!!

Stick around for encouragement and even join a challenge. Between 3FC & MFP(for logging food), I have really been able to stay on track!

Congrats on your weight loss so far!!

PS- I just went back and looked at your weight. I am 2lbs more than you and just fitting into a 20..... I have 4 kids, so I really have a mommy tummy.

Last edited by Tontus94; 04-03-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Tontus94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #14  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

I feel your pain! I've lost over 20 pounds since January, but I've been stuck in the same size jeans! I was wearing a size 24 from K-mart, and they have gotten bigger and bigger, to the point that they almost fall off. But at the same time, I couldn't fit into the size 22 jeans of the same brand. So one day while at Sears, I decided to try on a 22 there, and I could even get them over my thighs! The 24's were even too small!

I had some size 24 Zana Di jeans laying around from a few years ago that I stopped fitting into when I went up to over 300, and they fit beautifully now, even though the K-mart jeans are hanging off me! I actually just found a size 22 pair of jeans that fits at Walmart. Curiously, I tried the same style jeans in two different colors (but the same size) and the lighter pair was too small, and the darker pair fit just right. I hate clothes, and I hate when different colors fit differently. I recently bought some insect-shield pants for hiking, and the light khaki colored ones fit very nicely, but the green ones are little snug in the butt. Whatever!
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you try to make sense of sizes it will drive you crazy. Buy and wear what fits and don't worry about what the tag says.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote