Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 10:07 PM   #1  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Default Kid Chat Week of: 8/10

Hi guys,

My grandmother is here for the next two weeks so I am actually getting help!! Real help!! I don't have to ask for it either. She just jumps in and does what needs to be done. It's absolutely WONDERFUL!! I will miss her something fierce when she goes back home.

I hope everyone is having a great day!!
Old 08-12-2003, 11:50 AM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Karen, enjoy your time with your grandma!!

I hate to say it, but I think Peter may be working on another tooth! He's been very fussy the past few days, and this AM he had a 99.6 temp...high for him. He's also been drooling more again, and shoving everything in his mouth...more than usual. I don't see any signs of any coming in yet though, so I guess it's gonna be a long haul. He only slept about an hour and a half this AM, so I didn't get a whole lot done...not even a shower.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:39 PM   #3  

Hi guys,

OK, it's official. I'm spoiled!! I am loving the help that is for sure. I will have to drop some severe hints to DH about all the help I got.

Lauren: I'm sorry about the teething woes (that the little guy is uncomfortable, not that he is getting teeth). I hope he feels better as soon as possible. How is the job hunt going? Have you decided to stay home for awhile? Would you be interested in meeting for lunch again?

I am going to a Moms Club meeting on Thursday. I've decided that it would be a good way to make new friends and give Alex exposure to other kids. They seem to do a lot. Cooking groups, play groups, craft groups. Of course, he's too little for all that but at least we can get started. It's also cheaper than Gymboree at $25/year.

Hope everyone is having a great week.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:46 PM   #4  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Well..Guesss what...Another ear infection...101 temp, yellow sticky drainage from her ears and blowing green bubbles..I am getting to my wits end..She is on Zithromax and Rescon GG soo we will see how that works..Poor baby...The Pedi has a son that is the same way...and since he has a personal Nanny, she doesnt believe the daycare thing...She was 16lbs and is 28 inches long...
Take care!!!
V
Old 08-12-2003, 09:59 PM   #5  
LBH

Well, maybe it's not teeth...

I gave him a little Tylenol and put him down for his nap at 9:00. He only slept barely 1 1/2 hrs. I took his temp again a little before 1:00 and it was 100.8. I callled the ped. office to see if I could give him the Ibuprofen, in case he was teething, because I think it would help more. By the time the nurse called me back, he was sleeping. I hadn't given him anything.

She said I could give him the Ibuprofen, so when he woke up around 3:30, I gave it to him. I also took his temp and it was 102.4!! So I called back again and had to leave another message for the nurse. By the time she called back, it had been another 45 min. and I had taken his temp again, down to 101.8. She spoke to the Dr. and called me back and said to continue with the Tylenol or Ibuprofen and if he still had a temp in the AM they'll probably want to see him. Dr. said 102. is too high to be teething.

His temp has progressively gone down, last time I took it, around 7:30, it was 100.8. He doesn't feel too warm to me anymore.

Poor guy though, I took him for a long walk and he fell asleep, around 7:40, I came home, put him in bed and he woke up 5 min. later. Went back, corked him, cuddled him and he went back to sleep. Put him down, he's up. So I nurse him for a bit, he falls asleep and spits the boob out. I cuddle him like that for about 10 min. to make sure he's a sleep. Put him back, he wakes up. So I get him, bring him out to the living room, cork him and cuddle him for another 20 min. til he spits out the sucky and is breathing steady. Finally put him in the crib and he stays asleep.

I sure hope he sleeps good tonight...for his sake and mine.

Karen, sure, I'd love to get together again! Yeah, I'm kind of slacking getting a job. I'm looking online every day, and sending out a 1-2 resumes a week, but not getting any bites. Actually, today one of the pharmaceutical companies I applied to called to find out my salary range. I told them I was flexible, but this is my desired range. She said she'd probably be calling back in a couple days to tell me more about the position. Hopefully to set up an interview too. I'm not anxious to go back to work, but it would make DH happy...not soo uptight about money.

I really dread pumping again...enough that I may consider doing formula during the day, boob at night...but I don't know. I will probably give in and pump anyway. I'm really, really enjoying being home with Peter. I'm just trying to make my time home count, so DH doesn't think I just sit around all day...which I kind of do.

RR, I'm soo sorry Kaylee's got another ear infection. Isn't there anything they can do to stop them? At least the ped. can commisurate. Wow, she's long and skinny, huh? Same length as Peter, but 5 lbs. lighter!
Old 08-13-2003, 11:18 AM   #6  
LBH

Well, his temp was back up to 102.2 at 6:30 this AM. He seemed fine all night. Woke up at 12, 3, 5, 6, and finally 6:30. Only ate at 12 and 5. I didn't take his temp during the night, but he didn't feel warm either, until this AM. I gave him some ibuprofen and by 7:15 it was down to 101.3, by 8:30 it was down to 99.7. Made an appt. with the ped. for 10:50, but then he fell asleep, and I called to change it to 12:30, can't bear waking him up after a 1/2 hr. to go to the Drs.

So he's still sleeping right now, after waking up briefly at 10:30.

My poor little guy, he looks soo tired.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:38 AM   #7  

hi guys,

ok, the help is great but i am ready for her to go home now!! she's so judgemental about everything and she knows only 1/2 of what she thinks she does. ok, vent over!!

rr: i'm so sorry kaylee is sick again. isn't there anything they can do for her? poor lil girlee.

lauren: i hope peter is better. ju8st let me know when and where. we'll be there.

ummm, you guys keep those germs with you. don't be sending them this way. we've finally gotten the stuffy nose under control w/the vapoizor and inhalant at night.

hope you guys are having a better day.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:51 PM   #8  
LBH

Well, it's a viral thing he said. They did a finger stick to check his white blood cells, in case he was hiding something from them, but it was fine, so it's viral. He said his lungs, throat and ears are clear, but he's got a little upper respiratory thing...I guess something's not clear?? Anyway, he said to just keep treating it the way I am...Ibuprofen, cool cloths, etc. and it should be gone in a couple days. If his temp is still up in a couple days, call.

Drives me nuts that I can't give him something, you know, like antibiotics, to make it better, but hopefully it'll be under control soon. I gave him a cool bath this afternoon. Not real cool, but just slightly cooler than lukewarm. His temp was 101.6 about a 1/2 hr. ago. He just went down for a nap, hopefully for a couple hours.

Karen, we'll wait at least a week or so til we plan anything, to make sure Petey's good and healthy! Soo much for helpfullness, huh? Is she trying to tell you how to raise him? My Gran tells me I should let him play in a play pen, so he learns to be independent. I told her I don't have a play pen, just the pack and play, which is smaller. I tell her he plays by himself on the floor, unless I have to leave the room, then he either comes with me, goes in his exersaucer/jumper, or in his crib! Most stuff I just yes her to death! (Along with everyone else and their 'help')
Old 08-14-2003, 04:55 PM   #9  

Lauren--sorry Petey is sick..VIral is the worse cuz U have to wait it out..Kaylee is much better with the zithromax and that Rescon..THe junk is just pouring out the ears..I stayed home today and we have been playing!!! I brought her to the daycare for 90 minutes soo I could work out....It is soo convenient cuz it is next door and then I dont have to pay $2 fee at the club...

Karen--How is Alex?? Glad he is staying well!!!
Off to put up my scrapbook stuff..I am making brownies for DH tonight and some supper soo have to run!!!
V
Old 08-14-2003, 08:50 PM   #10  

Hi guys,

Lauren: Hope you have electricity tonight. We only lost power for about 2 min and then it came back. Just let me know when you want to go out. We are free most of the time. Next Tues I am getting my hair done and then a dentist appt. Those are the only plans. Hope Peter is feeling much better now.

RR: Sounds like you guys had a good day. I like playing with my little guy.

I went to the Moms Club meeting today and it was nice. Alex was really enjoying watching the other kids playing. I've never seen him sit so still for so long. We are going to a craft group tomorrow. He can watch the other kiddies and I will get to know the moms.

Hope everyone is well.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:09 AM   #11  
LBH

Hey,

Peter's been holding pretty steady between 100-101.6. He seems to be feeling OK aside from that, which makes him a little lethargic.

Discovered part of it IS teeth though. He's got two more uppers coming in!! I bought some Baby Oragel at CVS last night when I picked up his vitamins. That stuff is disgusting and I'm not sure that it helped at all.

He was still up almost every hour....think I missed seeing 2:00 on the clock!! Brought him in bed with me at 6:30 this AM, hoping he'd go back to sleep for a bit, but no such luck. And of all things to happen, channel 13 isn't working this AM!! That's PBS, which is what Sesame Street is on!! So he watched Stanley on Disney, but could really care less.

RR, does Kaylee take vitamins? I just picked up his vitamins for the first time and they look and smell awful!! I can't imagine he's gonna like taking them, will probably have to mix it in his morning cereal and fruit!

Karen, wow, you're really keeping yourself busy, that's cool! I wish I knew I could stay home for good, I'd try and find a mom's group too. We had a couple little brown-outs, but nothing major. My mom had no electric last night...she's in Totowa.

Time for breakfast, have a great day!
Old 08-15-2003, 10:14 PM   #12  

Lauren--My Pedi has never mentioned the vitamins before..Kaylee is doing soo well...She is soo funny I find myself laughing at her daily..I bought her a walker and she is up my dresstail in the kitchen running over me while I am cooking..it was the best $24 I ever spent to keep from holding her while i am in the kitchen and dining area..She loves the excersauser while we are in the living room but has to be right up where I am when I am trying to do supper...

Well...I may be stooping to an all time low tomorrow and buying a Dodge Grand caravan..I am soo at my wits end with SD#2 pulling on Kaylee, taking her toys away, closing the sunvisor on the car seat down, pulling her arms, etc etc..It makes me a nervous wreck when she annoys the baby, that I crawl over the seat into the back and move her away from Kaylee..THe Durango is nice, but it is a pain to flip the middle seat down, to put her in the back
then up etc etc, plus climbing in the back..I love the Durango but the 12 miles to the gallon is sucking also...Right now, I can get a $28,000 van(DVD player-fully loaded, leather) with 60 months, 0 interest, free oil changes for 7 yrs, no payment until 2004 and then my note is only about $220/month after trade in....we are gonna look tomorrow and seriously contemplate...Who knows..
Well..off to bathe!!!
V
Old 08-16-2003, 09:51 AM   #13  
LBH

RR, that's a great deal, but are you planning to keep it forever, or update every few years, because with a 60 month loan, you'll be upside down in no time. That's the problem I face with my car. I will be paid off in Sept. 2004, but I'm totally upside down. I'm pretty close to even right now, but still about 1K off.

I am dying to get a mini-van. Saw a friend of mine a few weeks ago that I haven't seen in a long time. We partied a lot after HS and into our late 20's. She's got a mini-van know and couldn't live w/o it. We were laughing about how we used to salivate over men and old hot rod type cars, know we're checking out mini-vans as they pass us!!

Gotta go, it's baby bath time, and then we're off to the Turtle Back Zoo!! Yeah!! Have a great day! Hopefully the t-storms will hold off.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:35 PM   #14  

Hi guys,

We have been having fun. I've bought way too many cute outfits for the boy!! There is a place by me called ChildrensWear. I got a cute one piece (long sleeves/legs) outfit for $6 and a jockey sleepwear outfit for $9. If you dig and don't mind non-brand name stuff you can find some deals. They had Carter's stuff fairly cheap too. Nothing I wanted though.

RR: Wow on the minivan. I guess with three kids it really is the best way. I know my parents would have loved to put us in different seats. We were always doing the HE'S TOUCHING ME thing. Hope it works out well for you. Glad that Kaylee is feeling better. Hope it stays that way for awhile.

Lauren: Was TurtleBack fun? Are the animals in cages? Or in open areas? I hate zoos with the animals in cages. Maybe Alex and I will check them out one day later in the fall.

We did the craft group with the Mom's Club. Alex watched the other kids for a whole hour!! He hardly even wimpered during the whole time. He was fascinated. We will keep going to stuff. A lot of things he is way too small for....firehouse tour, carvel tour. They said that playgroups will be starting again in the fall. Hopefully there will be one for him!!

Here's our latest cute pic:
Old 08-16-2003, 05:08 PM   #15  
LBH

Cute pic Karen! We didn't go to Turtle Back, Peter was fussy, I had a headache and was tired. Right now the boys are sleeping...I had a little semi-nap on the LR floor while Peter was playing around me...and with my hair, earlier.

We have a Children's Wearhouse right around the corner from us...great deals there. We bought a bunch of outfits off the clearance rack for between $4-$6 a piece in the Spring, that hopefully will fit Peter in the Fall.

We're gonna go to the mall later so I can get my niece her b-day present. She wants a gift certificate for Build-A-Bear. Tomorrow if the weather holds out, we'll do Turtle Back. I have not been outside, but my little weather channel thing on my computer says 102 degrees!! Thank God for A/C!!

Karen, they've got a website, click here:Turtle Back Zoo I haven't been there since I was a kid...probably on a class trip! Looks like they're trying to totally rebuild the zoo to make it more natural.

I have some semi-good news. I asked DH if I could just stay home and not worry about looking for a job as long as I'm on Unemployment. He said OK, unless I can find something paying as much as I was making. He doesn't want me to totally blow off my search, because he doesn't want us to end up in a panic when UE runs out and I don't have a job. So really not much has changed, except that I don't have to feel guilty for not wanting to apply for something because it doesn't pay enough. This came up because the temp person at my recruiter's office called me with a long term temp job at a pharmaceutical company in the next town over. It sounded great, mostly because of location, but when I figured out the hourly pay, it came to $2 less per wk. than UE, and I would have to subtract another 220/wk. from that for daycare, so it totally wasn't worth it!

I'm hoping to be able to figure out something else by the time the end of the year rolls around and UE runs out.
Closed Thread