Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 04-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - April Fool's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Wandered off plan with my afternoon snack, Ouch. Methinks I'm a little stir crazy trying not to use my calf. I did well at dinner with friends, CREDIT moi, where there was opportunity for seconds that I ignored.

Did watch the recent Woody Allen movie, Midnight in Paris. 'Twas fun to have Paris of the 1920's tossed about, and to imagine having a conversation with Gertrude Stein.

onebyone – Just love the sound of "on sale and further reduced" - bargains are good for the soul. Kudos for signing up for the 5K walk to keep the motivation focused.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for stretching the old comfort zone.

Beverlyjoy – Forward, ever forward.

maryann - Yep, Kudos for "... but that didn't translate into eating." Hope you enjoyed your sushi.

Woodland - Yay for garage sale finds. And Kudos for trying your Intuitive Eating experiment.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan on Weekends
weekend skills

Read your Response Cards and Advantages Deck more often. You will probably need to read them several times a day to continually remind yourself why it's worth it to stay in control.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 139.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #3  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Bill: LOVED Midnight in Paris!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends/coaches... today I got on the scale and it said five pounds up. Yikes! I do know, however, that I did not eat enough to deserve it. I took some medicine that sometimes makes me retain water. I am thinking it's part of it. But... it was a real wake up call. I did not like seeing that number on the scale. This weighing every day worked today. I have planned a healthy day.

billbe - oops on your afternoon snack. Credit for not overeating when out at friends. I am sorry about your calf. I hope it mends quickly.

I hope you are all having a GREAT healthy day.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

I liked Midnight in Paris, too!

I didn't meet my exercise goal last month, but got a strong start on the new month (75 minutes today, even with all the blogging conference activities).

I post my weight on the ticker and sidebar on the first of the month. 166 is the lowest weight yet and one I'm happy to be my maintenance weight.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-02-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did well with meals, CREDIT moi, including dinner at a vegetarian Indian Restaurant. But continued on my bigger-than-planned snacks. I'm not eating outside of planned times, just making the size too big. Ouch, Ouch, Ouch.

Went for a slow walk, CREDIT moi, to see what birds were coming back. A couple of Eastern Phoebe were back along with a whole bunch of Red-winged Blackbirds. There were many reports of aggressive Turkeys, but we didn't see them. Saw an unusually large number of Robins - felt like Hitchcock's The Birds, LOL. (With the great line, "Don't they ever stop migrating?")

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for posting your lowest weight ever. Would you like Hemingway to critique a chapter of your NaNoWriMo?

Beverlyjoy – Yep, Kudos for weighing even when the news isn't pleasant.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Waving back to that whole flock of cheerleaders who won't know if they'll have more joining them until the 40 days is over.

Readers -
Quote:
Confidently Follow Your Plan on Weekends
weekend skills

Memory Box cards
When you stick to your plan during a challenging weekend, create a new card for your Memory Box. Terry wrote:
Memory Card
I'm really glad I didn't overeat an didn't drink too much
this weekend, like I did every time in the past when
Ashley and Bob came to town. I felt really good this
Monday morning. Thank goodness I made myself sit
down on Friday to make a plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 140.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

My written plan changed yesterday when mom and I decided to go to Denver. Lunch was at WF, and was healthy. credit. I got home, was tired and yet was torn because I felt I needed to be working on the project. The spot between tired and unfinished projects is not a good spot for me. I chose the couch and a bball game and my planned snack continued into more snacking instead of my planned dinner. I weighed this morning, knowing the scale would be up and it was. I work today and have fretted over the project this morning. Instead of dreading the baseboard painting I went ahead and did it. I can cross that off the list and I'm hoping my DH and furry friends will be home tomorrow. I took tomorrow off from work and have a helper coming at 7 to aid in moving furniture. *Credit* for checking in this morning.

Onward and upward! This, too, shall pass.

ETA-Here are some photos, when I first pulled the carpet out, sanded to bare wood, one coat of wet finish and final coat dry. The floor looks spectacular....#2 and #3 show my next project (of many) "Victorian Rot" I call it. We fixed it once and the plaster bubbled and fell off again. Fortunately, it's hidden by the furniture for now, but drives my crazy..before DH left, his instructions were for me to "not pick" at it. I resisted the urge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floor Project 2012 032.jpg (23.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Floor Project 2012 030.jpg (29.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Floor Project 2012 035.jpg (19.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Floor Project 2012 037.jpg (25.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Lexxiss; 04-02-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Smile

Hi Everyone,

My weekend was good. I counted every calorie and used Beck skills to stay positive. My ticker moves down one, yeah ! My motto yesterday was "just keep moving", and I got a lot done in the house and in the yard. It was 90 degrees outside, so that in itself was a challenge to get used to!

I ordered the Beck pink book in audio format. I wish it were in eBook format, but maybe someday.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #9  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation 1st Monday in the one and only April of 2012.

Hi Coaches

Not sure what to say about the weekend. It felt full of food events, but I think that's an exaggeration. More than likely I have been thinking about food quite a bit. I have gone over my official points allowances for the week but I "bank" my earned activity points, earned for exercise, and still have a pile of them left so, technically, and according to WW, I can say I *am* OP. I am *fretting* for my weigh-in this week. I have to take a trip to Ottawa to see my mom, to get some stuff taken care of for her and then to meet up with my brother and sister for a buffet lunch. Then we were planning food for the get together of my drawing group as well. So my mind has been in a whirl trying to nail down what I am eating and when and how the heck will I see a number under 260 with *all this* going on?

It seems impossible.
It seems I am going away at the worst time ever; just when I have started to lose weight again
It seems like everything will be too stressful.

I do need to remember that the lat time I went away I lost weight. So. There's my proof that going away does not equal a weight gain.

credit for weighing in this morning=+2lbs up = 261.7 on the wii fit.
credit for planning exercise into my day today = swimming this morning

Happy Monday everyone.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hello friends, becksters, coaches... I am so happy to be able to say that yesterday was a healthy food day. That five pound gain in a day was gone this morning -YAY. I think it was a combination of salt, medication and extra food. Somehow... it's given me the willingness try and do the things that I know work and are helpful.

Yesterday I planned/measured/logged food, weighed, did my stretches & strengthening exericise, lots of water, & tried to eat slower.

My foot/ankle is still a little sore... but, I stopped taking the strong nsaid and will try to get through it with tylenol, ice and rest. I must stay out of the garden for the next few days.

Onebyone - traveling can be tricky. Read and reread what Dr. Beck suggests - they have been helpful a few times while trying to stay OP while out of town. Safe travel.

woodland - credit for staying true to your calories and using your Beck techniques. Happy dance in honor of the scale going down. Carry on.

debbie/lexxiss - credit for getting on the scale even when you know you've eaten some extra. Hop right back on your plan. The floor looks nice. I love the 'take out' at whole foods.

billbe - credit for being OP at the restuarant. If you aren't measuring your snacks... maybe doing that for a few days might help.

Have a great day.

Update - I can't go without the nsaids - too sore. (phooey) So, if I gain some water weight I will know I've been true to my plan. Yes... I am planning to have a healthy day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-02-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #11  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Bill: Haha, you caught me. I added another because I *think* I'm 165
Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Like gardenerjoy, I change my ticker on the first of each month. Credit to her and credit to me for a lower weight. Skiing this weekend, I know, helped the scale.
Still blue at work. This problem will not be solved until my leave begins June 1. Credit for one foot in front of another. I still must do a quality job but I can also get off my back (per dh) and take it easy.
BBE: Loved midnight in Paris. The Hemingway caricature was hysterical.
Woodland: Congrats on good program days.
beverleyjoy: I absolutely agree that weighing everyday keeps me on track.
Shout out to everyone else.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Hello All,

I had a good weekend visiting my brother, his kids and his new baby grand-daughter. It's fun to have a baby in the family again. My eating was not really OP for my program (low-carb) as I did eat a lot of those but I never ate to excessiveness so it seemed okay. I did however get a box of smarties to eat during the drive home yesterday and have to admit they didn't really taste that great, and it was like I needed to eat the whole box to convince myself of that. Oh well, it's over, done and in the past! Just need to get through this up-coming weekend with the Easter treats now.

Weighed this morning and am the same, will try to get some walking in today, my pedometer numbers have been really low lately. I also plan to get my bike out this week even with the forecast of snow again on Thursday.
Hope everyone has a good day!

Last edited by Tazzy; 04-02-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

There's a locally-sourced grocery store and cafe that's about thirty minutes from here. I really enjoy it but it's so far that I rarely go to it. I just found out that they are opening a new location a mile from my house. I'll be able to walk there! I'm so happy about that! They open in July or August.

WI: +0.05 kgs, Exercise:+45 120/1400 minutes for April, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I enjoyed how Hemingway was portrayed in Midnight in Paris as the uber-man. It helped me understand why I have such difficulty reading his stories. He would hate my NaNoWriMo project! And, I'm okay with that. He's not my target audience.

Lexxiss: your floor is gorgeous!

Woodland: yay for "just keep moving." We got to 90 here today.

onebyone: Like this mantra: going away does not equal a weight gain. What works for me is focusing on veggies and the rare fruit (both take some effort while traveling) and skipping most of my normal snacks on the theory that I'm probably getting more calories at the meals than normal. "Hunger is not an emergency" helps a lot and so do all the distractions of travel.

Beverlyjoy: sorry for the continued need for nsaids, but, boy, I'm glad those little thingies exist when we need them!

maryann: yay for seeing another ticker drop lower on the first of the month!

Tazzy: yay for a good weekend without excessive eating. I'm abstaining from Easter candy this year. I ordered some really lovely chocolates for DH's birthday this past weekend. They were wonderful and I'm going to refuse to taint that experience with any less fine of a chocolate (and what I'll see on Easter will be considerably less fine!).
Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - FREE Ben & Jerry's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Just OK with food, CREDIT moi, but particularly well with an evening event where food was present for a long time and I still ate rationally.

Today is the day that Ben & Jerry's offer a FREE scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt. The nearest "scoop shop" is a healthy walk for me which would be good exercise, although perhaps stressing the calf I'm ordered to stay off of. I'll have to wrestle with that one all day.

onebyone – Yay for swimming. And Kudos for clearing out the cobweb thinking so that you can enjoy going to visit your mom and siblings.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good news to have a local source place only a mile away. Might be the best walking mile ever. [So there, Mr. Hemingway, you weren't the target audience anyway, LOL.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Super job on that floor! I love the detail of your window molding - the better part of Victorian. Ouch for the plaster issue; plaster walls must have been invented before plate tectonics started, LOL.

Beverlyjoy – Five pounds up and down in a day is a fine roller coaster, LOL. What is the benefit of avoiding nsaids? I was directed to take Ibuprofen for the duration and have only been concerned that I forget.

maryann - It's less than two months until June 1st; we'll help cheer you through that.

Tazzy - Yay for babies; Yay for granddaughters. LOL at having to eat the whole box of Smarties to know they don't taste all that great. I, too, will try to avoid Easter candies this weekend. I know that I won't bring any into the house.

Woodland - "just keep moving" is a great mantra - I might just steal that.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Welcome new cheerleader.

Readers -
Quote:
Confidently Follow Your Plan Despite Food Pushers

Food pushers - people who offer food and strongly encourage you to eat it - can seriously sabotage your weight-loss efforts if you don't learn how to respond to them. Some food pushers try to make you feel guilty: "But I worked so hard to make this meal for you!" Some try to minimize the impact on your weight. "Oh, eating this one thing isn't going to make a difference." Some try to seduce you: "It's really good; you have to try it." Regardless of what the food pushers are saying, your response can always be the same: "No, thank you."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 140.
Closed Thread