Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #1  

Lightbulb New here and in need of advice.

Hi, everybody!

I've been thinking about doing Medifast or Wonderslim after reading all these wonderful experiences some of you have had. I'm a new mom who just turned 21 & I've been having a really hard time losing this baby weight. My pre-baby weight used to be 184 lbs. which is still over weight for my height (5'3) but that's because at that moment, I had gained 10 lbs. My usual weight was 170 lbs. The day I gave birth, I was 217 lbs. then I went down to 209, then 199 then 195, back up to 199 then down to 190 then back to 195, lol. I've stayed in the 190's since Dec. 2011. As of this morning, I am 189.5. A month ago, I started training with a trainer twice a week and she provided me with a Nutritional plan but... it's not really working for me. I really like the idea of eating packaged, simple meals throughout the day that don't require a lot of cooking. My goal weight is 145-150. I have a mini goal which is 170 by July/August. Do you guys think that's a realistic goal?

Any advice/support is really appreciated!
E1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/tracker/160

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm new too! I just started Wonderslim. The food is fairly good (and I love to cook and eat).

I think if you follow the diet, your 1st goal is doable. It seems that many people have that kind of success with these diets. Plus you are young, which usually means you can lose faster!
Finny321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #3  

Hi!
Hehe, I love to cook and eat also.
I ordered a few things from Wonderslim to try. I'm leaning more towards Medifast because Wonderslim seems a little confusing to me. What do you typically eat on a daily basis? How is it going for you so far?

Good luck and let me know how it goes!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 315/294.6/180

Height: 5'7

I actually buy Wonderslim/Bariwise products, but follow the Medifast plan. I don't eat fruit or eat as many meals as Wonderslim suggests. I follow the 5&1 plan of Medifast, but with much better food from Wonderslim!! Just wanted to throw that idea out there....because I tried medifast in the past and the food was so awful that I couldn't continue with it. I also have issues with soy and WS uses whey protein.
Airen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/tracker/160

Height: 5'5.5"

E1991, so far it is going well. I have lost about 4 lbs. I broke down their plan into food items to make it easier for me. I jog 3 miles three times a week, and walk at least 3 miles on the days I don't jog, so I follow a modified men's/women's plan. I don't want to go too low on calories right away. I always figure I can take away if I stop losing! I buy a mix of products, they aren't all Wonderslim, but I buy comparable products.

For the women's plan; daily you eat 7 meal replacements, 1 dairy(or an optional), 1 fruit, 1 veggie, 1 protein (4oz lean or 3oz very lean), 2 vegetables, 1 starch, 1 optional.

For me; I up the protein to 6-8 oz, have three-four vegetables, one fruit, two optionals, 1 starch, and 1 dairy. I also have one cup of tea with about a tbs of half n' half each morning which I don't count right now. I don't always eat everything, but, I know I have the option if I am hungry or I want to fancy up a shake or entree.

Yesterday I ate:

Hot cakes (one of my favorites), 1/2 tsp butter, vanilla shake mixed with cold hazelnut tea, heated in the microwave until it became like a tea latte (really good)

Veggie joe (added a tbs of crushed tomato), and cheddar crisps

Cheesecake bar

Two chicken thighs, skin removed, 1 cup of green beans, salad, 3/4 cup of fresh pineapple

Chocolate shake as pudding (not my favorite it needs a boost on the cocoa flavour) and a vanilla protidiet cookie (aren't the yummiest alone, but if you haven't eaten your fruit serving they are good with cut up berries which have been sprinkled with stevia and left to go soft and juicy)

So for yesterday, I ate 7 meal subs, 1 fruit, 3 veggies, 1 6-8oz protein, 1 optional.

ETA: For my seven a day, I shoot to eat 1 entree, 1 savory snack, 1 sweet snack, 1 breakfast, three shakes/puddings. For me it is about keeping the variety so I do not feel like I am eating candy bars/sweets all day.

Last edited by Finny321; 03-26-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Finny321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #6  

I'm a Medifaster. I started 2/26. I've done it in the past too and it works but you must remain ON PLAN (no cheating) to be in a light state of ketosis. I started at 245.7 and as of this morning I am 233 - about 3 pounds a week. I do not starve, have good variety and loads of energy. So it does work, anybody that does it will tell you that but you really have to do it or it is a waste of cash.
ubskinnyagain75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #7  

@Airen08 - That's a great idea! Thank you! How many lbs. have you lost so far doing this?

@Finny321 - Yeah, I also don't want to feel like all I'm eating is sweet things during the day and then getting tired of the diet.Thanks for all the detailed info I like the fact that you can still work out while doing WS. I don't want my gym membership to go to waste.

@ubskinnyagain75 - Wow, congrats! What did you think about the food when you first tried it? My fear is buying the food and not liking it.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I don't know much about Wonderslim, but I have done Medifast and found that the majority of the food was not very good. The bars are great, however. Currently I'm doing Nutrisystem, and I'm extremely pleased with the taste of everything and the ease at which most is prepared (most are just heat and eat). My DD, who is 21, is also on Nutrisystem and has lost 25 pounds since the middle of December. She still has at least 25 pounds to go.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #9  

Hi - Some people like the food and some people don't. I like the shakes (banana & dutch chocolate), the chicken and wild rice soup, sloppy joe, and chilli. I also like most of the bars, the bbq bites, the brownies and the choc. chip soft bake cookies, the pancakes too. So as you can see I actually like their food. You can spice up your soups, add sugar free syrups to your pancakes, sugar free syrups to your vanilla shakes for more flavor, all sorts of flavorings (vanilla, peppermit, etc.). I add salsa and mushrooms to my chilli and OMG it's really freaking good. I find the progam a breeze - after week 2 you really are going to start to melt and enjoy the food - TRUST ME - if you stay on plan you will crave your bars, soups, shakes, etc. You have to give your body time to adjust and detox from the salt, fat, sugar, carbs, etc - Also your 1 lean and green meal is huge...3 cups of veggies and lean protein. You also get all the vitamins you need cause they are inside the packaged meals. This diet gives me a chance to get creative and I'm never ever ever hungry or craving any off plan foods except wine lol. For me it works, maybe not for you. You got to find things that work for you and maybe try it for 2 weeks and see what you think. 3 pounds a week, that's really good results and some lose more than that but I've done traditional diets and lucky to see a 5 pounds loss for an entire month let alone 12.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Awww. They didn't have sloppy joes when I was on MS. I agree, their shakes are good (I forgot). I did have to add stuff to most of the soups, but still disliked most of them. In fact the broccoli soup made me gag. I do have to agree that I was rarely hungry despite the quantity in each "meal." I'm sure it's due to the amount of protein.

The biggest problem I had was a craving for carbs--specifically pasta which is not allowed on the plan. I love pasta and being on MS for about 3 months put me into a huge pasta craving to the point that once off the plan, I made pasta dishes almost daily to make up for it. I think that's why I'm enjoying Nutrisystem so much--they don't remove any particular food so there's nothing I'm left craving.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 315/294.6/180

Height: 5'7

E1991...my ticker is all WS. One month was on my own with Quaker low sugar oatmeal, atkins shakes and bars and then this month has been all WS...I'm dealing with a crohns flare right now, but am getting right back into it. Love it! ...and I've tried a lot of diets out there!
Airen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #12  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

I've been on Medifast since April, and I'm down 84 pounds! The best part for me is that I'm not sick of it; I'm still motivated to keep going. I've found lots of ways to make the food more interesting. I knew I would if I was going to stick with it long enough, so I don't sweat the amounts of condiments I use (as long as they're low calorie - herbs/spices/hot sauce/salsa).

I did Nutrisystem in the past, and got very sick of the food and the slow weight loss. I really missed real food. With Medifast, I get to look forward to 1 homecooked or restaurant meal every day.

I also like that it's simple, and I really love some of the food. Brownies, bars, chili, hot cocoa, pancakes and sloppy joe are my favorites.

It's definitely personal. If you don't want to have to think much about your diet, then it is a plan to consider.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #13  

I also do some intermitten fasting with Medifast (I do not eat after 6 p.m. until 10 or 11 next day) and I also calorie cycle which means one day I eat only the packaged meals (5-6 of them depending on hunger level) and next day I will do the meals plus my lean and green (this keeps my body guessing and helps metabolism).
I never was a fan of pasta so that hasn't been an issue for me. Mashed taters with gravy, cheese and pizza are big food cravings and of course the vino.
Good luck at whatever plan you go with!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #14  

Hey, girls!

Thanks for all the responses, you've all been really helpful.

I'm in between Medifast & Wonderslim.

Cost wise: they're about the same. Taste wise: I hear WS products are much tastier.

I'll go with whichever one is more effective. How much did you lose the first week you went on MD or WS?

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #15  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

I lost a total of 11 pounds in the first 2 weeks.

Good luck with what ever you decide!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote