Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:260/CW:152/GW:149

Height: 5'5"

Default Envy from other women

I have lost a lot of weight and I'm lookin pretty great if I do think so myself. I posted some pics at my new weight on facebook. Nothing super risque, just a pic of my face (making a regular face, I think, smiling) and a pic of my body - the one in my avatar. I'm wearing clothes and everything.

Anyways, my aunt was talking to my mom and my mom sent me an email saying "I think your facebook photo is too sexy"

My mom doesn't even go on facebook, she doesn't even have a profile... I think my aunt saw my photos and was jealous, and said to my mom they were too sexy. My aunt is very overweight and I think she was envious that I lost weight.

It's very frustrating to see that from other women who I think "should" be supportive, especially from family members.

I don't think I was doing anything wrong, and I'm finally getting into a "normal" weight zone, a "healthy" weight... finally not obese, finally not overweight, just NORMAL. which means so much.

so it's really awful to be critisized for being too SEXY. i'm not even in a bikini or anything.

it's like, too fat, too fat, too fat my whole life and then one week of being a normal, just NORMAL not even thin and suddenly i'm too sexy?? what the heck? can't my body ever be ok without other people judging it?

I don't want these judgemental attitudes and lack of support to stop me from my weight loss journey though!! I don't care if people are jealous or don't support me or envious. I am going to stay strong and be healthy anyways.

I think it is hard for my aunt because we come from a family that has very judgemental attitudes about weight and she and i were always the "heavy ones" and now that I am losing weight maybe she feels like she stands out more or there is more pressure on her so she wants to critisize me and make me feel bad for losing weight. but i'm not going to listen! I'm going to feel good about myself for losing weight and being healthy and i'm going to love my body the way it is and not feel bad about it!!

I love myself!

meditateinmydirectio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:260/CW:152/GW:149

Height: 5'5"

Default especially

in the salsa community which i am a part of, i see women posting pics on facebook of them in short dresses, high heels, boobs out etc etc...

mine wasn't that bad...
meditateinmydirectio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #3  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Even if it was too sexy, it's your facebook and you can do whatever you want to it.

Congratulations on your successes . Since getting smaller, I've been posting FB pictures frequently and albums full of my travels and adventures. I could care less if someone things what I post on MY profile is obnoxious. They are more than welcome to unfriend me.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:238 CW:224.6 GW:120

Height: 4' 11"

I think I would just let the comment slide. I have an aunt who gets offended if I post anything that could ever be deemed as controversy, "sexy pictures" included. Whenever she says anything to me about it, I just remind her I am an adult and it always makes things worse. But on that note, you look great! It doesn't matter if other people think you are "too sexy". You deserve to show off your body. So show it off!
AlyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #5  
I love being a mommy!

Height: 5'3"

Girl, please, screw everyone else. You look amazing, and you have every right to post a picture that you like of yourself. I don't find it too sexy! Instead of being jealous, they should take inspiration from you and follow your lead!
GirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

Doesn't every parent think their child is too sexy once she is an adult with her own sexuality? Eh, moms I wouldn't take it too seriously.
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

It's your FB. Do as you please.

When you post things "public" you do it with the knowledge that some people will comment though. Usually the family and friends you have as FB friends.

And with families -- we get what we get. It isn't like we get to CHOOSE our relatives.

You have the right attitude about loving yourself! Don't worry about the fussing aunt. Can't un-aunt her, but FB? Can unfriend her if she keeps pestering on what she sees on your FB.

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-29-2012 at 01:49 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #8  
threenorns

yep - family can be the WORST for that kind of thing.

i'm not kidding: if i haven't seen my mom in six months, the first words out of her mouth on greeting will be "oh.... you've gotten fat again - what happened!??" or "oh, you've lost weight!"

my reply is usually "nice to see you, too, mom."

and she'll come back with "well, yes, that, too"

the biggest problem is that in society (in general) and in families in particular, we all have roles. it is VERY VERY difficult to change - family members don't like that.

f.ex, in my family, i was the "black sheep". if anything went wrong, pretty much i was at the bottom of it. if police were involved, you could put money on me stirring up the mix. when i was in my late teens, i discovered the proper name for my role was "the whistle blower" - when you have an apparently perfect family with one child who is off-the-hook insane, it's a cinch that that family is severely dysfunctional (which mine is).

i ran away from home, made my own life, not doing too badly - but guess what?

yep - i'm still "insane", i still get comments like "oh, well, what do you expect?" and so on. i started a business, ran it for a year, it wasn't producing the pay-off i needed, so i folded it.

"oh, of course - you never finish anything you start."
"annnnd another one bites the dust"
"*scoff* well, nobody expects YOU to stick with anything"

i spent 3yrs doing the groundwork for that business.
i paid off all the loans i needed to get the equipment.
i worked an average of 60hrs a week, 6-7 days a week.

after a year - to the day - i crunched numbers and realized i was barely making a living and the money i was making was not worth the family time i was sacrificing (my daughter has special needs). so i stopped the business and took a part-time job back at the book shop.

even though i did follow through, paid back loans, got off welfare, and made money on top, i'm still a slacker, flighty, can't-stick-to-anything, and so on.

i've lost 15lbs since the beginning of the month - do i hear "congratulations"? no - i get "just wait - it'll all come back".

so you know what?

screw 'em all.

make your OWN family - make a REAL family by surrounding yourself with people that uplift you, support you, and make you feel confidant and capable and everybody else can go suck sour grapes.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #9  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

Dear meditateinmydirection - Sweetie, I've been reading your posts and you are angry at everyone. Men, women, family members, store clerks, the general public. Just sayin.

Life's too short to be this negative.

Enjoy the new you!
Italiannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6

My MIL called me a "skinny anorexic b*tch" behind my back the other day to my hubby. My current avatar photo was taken less than a week ago, do I look skinny or anorexic? Nope. My sister (who I vented to) said she's just a jealous old lady who can't stand the fact that now I love the way I look when she's so unhappy. I don't flaunt myself or anything like that but I think I look pretty darn good for being a 40 yo mom with two kids, lol.

I agree, life's too short to be surrounded with negativity. Enjoy your success, you've earned it!

Last edited by fitmom; 03-30-2012 at 02:52 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

Tell them that the photo is sexy and everyone loves it.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
My MIL called me a "skinny anorexic b*tch" behind my back the other day to my hubby. My current avatar photo was taken less than a week ago, do I look skinny or anorexic? Nope. My sister (who I vented to) said she's just a jealous old lady who can't stand the fact that now I love the way I look when she's so unhappy. I don't flaunt myself or anything like that but I think I look pretty darn good for being a 40 yo mom with two kids, lol.

I agree, life's too short to be surrounded with negativity. Enjoy your success, you've earned it!
You look great and feel great about yourself, you should flaunt it. You deserve it, you worked really hard for it. I say show it off.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirl View Post
Girl, please, screw everyone else. You look amazing, and you have every right to post a picture that you like of yourself. I don't find it too sexy! Instead of being jealous, they should take inspiration from you and follow your lead!
I love your avatar!!!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 223/180/130

Height: 5'3"

I say you post a REAL sexy picture next time to give her something to talk about LOL I know where you're coming from though. I had a friend who stopped wanting to hang out with me when I began to lose weight. One time I posted on facebook that I was so happy because I had lost 50lbs and she contacted me right away and we hung out a day or two later. She kept asking me questions about how I did it and stuff like that, and she told me that she had lost a lot of weight too and that people were telling her that they didn't recognize her but to be honest and not to be mean, I didn't notice a difference in her appearance. After that night she never called to hang out again. I think she just wanted to see it for herself that I wasn't lying. I'm glad that you're not letting your aunt's attitude affect you. For a while I kind of felt bad for losing weight because I didn't want to make my bigger friends or family feel bad, but sometimes it's good to take charge so that they can follow your lead. And if they don't, don't feel guilty because losing weight is a huge challenge! Congrats!

P.S. I gained a few pounds back, as you can see in my signature but I'm still fighting and getting wiser and stronger!

Last edited by ManicMinx; 04-04-2012 at 01:38 PM.
ManicMinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #15  
Dimply and Huge

S/C/G: 325/200

Height: 5'6

Honey, I say ENJOY your bod. Ignore the haters (even the haters in your family). The sad thing about weight loss is it's often temporary. So enjoy every moment of it. And keep working whatever program you used to get into the normal range (a dream come true), so you can stay in that range. Believe me, if you gain the weight back, the haters will have something to say about that too. Just enjoy every single moment of this.
Resipoo is offline   Reply With Quote