South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:26 PM   #1  

Default Protein bars

Hi i am new to this forum and excited to be a member,everyone seems so helpful! I am starting SBD on Monday and am wondering if high protein,low carb bars are allowed,if so which ones would yall reccommend? Thanks for the help!
Old 08-08-2003, 09:53 PM   #2  

bump
Old 08-08-2003, 11:34 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Yikes! No one knows!?
Old 08-09-2003, 11:35 AM   #4  

Can someone pleeeeeeease answer my one lil question!! Pretty please
Old 08-09-2003, 11:46 AM   #5  
In Control: E+R=O

Hi jessjohnsmom! I really wish I could help, but I don't know the answer. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I was leaving this one for someone who may have a good answer for you, since I really don't have anything constructive to contribute. I'm sure your post is not being ignored, that doesn't happen here, but rather I think that the people who have read it probably are like me and don't know what advice to give you. Good luck, I hope someone can help you.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:44 PM   #6  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

YUP!! Sorry, I have no idea.....
Old 08-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #7  
Mous

I have only kept to the Phase 1 foods that they tell us to eat.
Maybe in Phase 11 you could incorporate them into your daily routine.

Have a nice day.

Lady Marcie
Old 08-09-2003, 02:25 PM   #8  
it's always something

I'm personally not aware of any protein bars that contain only the ingredients allowed on Phase 1. That would be your best bet, to check the ingredient label. Many of the protein bars also contain a large amount of sugar, which we must avoid.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:34 PM   #9  
Captain of MY Destiny!

My first thought on protein bars was..."too much sugar", but I'm not at all sure about that. I guess check the ingredients as Suzanne recommended? I know that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I don't think the book addresses this particular item.

I would like to add that Dr. Agatson is a big proponent of getting your nutrition from as natural sources as possible. The closer a food is to it's original state the better for your body because it takes longer to metabolize. For example, when you cook a veggie you are already doing some of the "digesting" and have changed the structure of the food. That isn't to say that you should only eat raw foods! But that explains why fruit is okay on phase 2 and juice isn't!

If you check out the weekly menu forums you'll see that most of us stick to the basics and shy away from processed foods. You could always try and incorporate them in phase 2 and see what happens?

If you need suggestions for quick and easy snacks I know we can help with that!

Good luck and let us know how it works!
Old 08-09-2003, 08:16 PM   #10  

Thank you for the response!!!!!Where do you see daily menu items from south beachers? I would love to see examples of what everyone else eats on the beach!
Old 08-09-2003, 08:58 PM   #11  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Default Weekly Food Log

Hi! I moved this week's food log to the top of the list so you can find it more easily. I think it is alway called FOOD LOG-WEEK of....

Hope that helps!
Old 08-11-2003, 10:59 AM   #12  

HI, don't know if they are legal, but Atkins ones are low in carbs and sugar (1 gm) and they are yummy!! Also Power bar makes a no sugar added bar that is not as good, but also very little natural sugars and lower carbs.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:01 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'9"

If you are in Phase II, check out the Atkins Advantage bars. No..and I said NO added sugars...high in fiber...and LOW in carbs.

Now, what you should do is read those labels. When you look at the Atkins bars...they have 20-24 grams of carbs...but when you take out all of the contributing factors, there are only 2-3 grams of "net carbs". You can check out the Atkins website for more info on "net carbs"...but they appear to be all good. A local paper did a taste test...and they rated very high.

Also...the Chocolate Decadance is VERY good...almond brownie also good.

You can find them at Trader Joe's, WalMart....

Hope this helps...
Old 08-15-2003, 04:44 PM   #14  

From the chat transcripts with Dr. A over at the Prevention site, he says that none of the protein/low-carb/nutrition bars or shakes are considered acceptable for SBD.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:09 AM   #15  

Over on the Prevention board, protein bars have been quite a hottly debated topic! The big no-no in these bars are the bad fats and sugars. So read the labels! There is one low carb protein bar that did not have hydrogenated fat in it-Think Thin! Low Carb Diet bars. I found them at Trader Joes. Now, having given you that info, be very careful with the bars-they really are NOT a good choice for this WOE . Do not use them regularly-it is better to eat real, honest food. I have been on this WOE since May and have found areas that I can adjust to my personal tastes and lifestyle. So, I do admit to having a few bars available for those times that I just don't want to fuss with an appropriate snack (or whatever) and found that a quarter or a third of the bar carried me thru to my meal just fine.
Closed Thread