South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:31 AM   #1  

Default Getting prepped... and excited! And, of course, more questions.

Well, I got my SBD book yesterday and read it in one sitting. Everything seems to make a lot of sense... I've initiated a start date of Monday (tomorrow I am doing a major clean, including fridge and cupboards, and Sunday I need to use for shopping for the "right" foods), and I already have my Week 1 Menu planned. Lettuce in one form or another as far as the eye can see, but I can handle that for two weeks.

My latest set of questions (I'm a planner by nature, and like to have as much information as possible, just so I can at least quasi-prepare for eventualities. Some people call it my own little manifestation of OCD; I prefer "a charming eccentricity."):

1. I'm also beginning an exercise plan, walking/running for about half and hour in the mornings and then heading to the gym for weights or aerobics on alternating days. What do you find your energy levels for exercise to be without as large an intake of carbs? Also, has anyone gone from not exercising TO exercising on the SBD plan? Does it make a noticeably difference in terms of results. Either way I'm going to work out, but I am curious...

2. Mayonnaise. I was SO happy that you can eat it on the plan. I LOVE mayonnaise. However, in the text of the book, it seems to indicate a little of the full fat version is the way to go, but then the recipe for the cilantro mayonnasie for the roll-ups calls for a reduced fat version. I'm a bit confused on this point.

3. Pickles. Since I am not so into vegetables (believe me, I REALLY hate them, with very few exceptions), I am trying to find some alternatives that I will eat. My mom has a great refrigerator pickles recipe that might do the trick. Cukes, onions, red pepper flakes and one part each vinegar and sugar (substitute Splenda or similar, obviously). Is this SBD friendly? If so, are there types of vinegar I should avoid (the recipe calls for cider vinegar, which I am guessing to be a no-no)? And what about dill pickles? Bad?

4. Wine. Here I am anticipating Phase II, but is there a weight loss/glycemic reason red wine is better than white, or is it recommended solely based on cardiac benefits. I like red wine, but I am BIG on food matching, and while I eschew the strict "fish/poultry with white, meat/heavy pasta with red" dictates, there are some food that simply do not go with a red, even something as light as a beaujolais. Plus, I just REALLY like red wine.

I think that takes care of everything for now... I am sure I will have more annoying nit-picky queries as I familiarize myself with the SBD. Looking over the book, though, I am feeling very positive. I like a lot of the menus and while I don't think the first two weeks are going to be the easiest thing I've ever done, I think I can get through it... and then I'm practically home free in phase II (well, except for one thing... alas, baguettes are a thing of my past). Thanks!
Old 08-08-2003, 12:50 PM   #2  

I am only on Day 5 of this WOE, therefore I can't really help with any of the answers to questions.

But I am curious about the mayonaise and pickles too.

May I make a couple suggestions to your shopping list, I found they have gotten me thru the week Cheat free (except to sample 1 Somersweet Carmel Softee):

1. Sugar Free Jello - I buy the snack size, ready made. Nice to bring to work. Around 3pm I start to get a "snack" craving and it fills it.
2. String Cheese - I buy the Polly-O lite Mozzarella String Cheese. Also nice for snack at work. And, it lasts a while if you peel it off in small sections.
3. Sugar-Free Popsicles. Nice, cool snack at night. Especially in this heat. I usually have 2 after dinner as my snack. I haven't tried the "Ricotta Desserts" yet, so this is my dessert.
4. LF or FF Cottage Cheese. Nice to have with dinner. I usually have 1/2 a cup with my dinner. Makes a nice side item.
5. Almonds (20) or Pistachios (30). I love nuts, so this is a great snack for me. That you can pick at while watching tv or reading.

I have to say, I am a HUGE eater. And at first, I was a little worried I would overeat, because of no portion restrictions. But, I have found, I am actually never hungry. I eat when I am hungry, and only then. It is much different for me than Weight Watchers was. I was actaully OBSESSED with Food on WW. Constantly counting "points". Waiting until I could eat more points. Banking points. Using banked points. YIKES! Too much thinking.

Not with this WOE, I only have foods I can eat in the house. (And for my husband I bought him snacks I HATE, so no tempatations). Then, when I am hungry, I get up, eat, and move on.

I am really finding this a great WOE for me. Before I started this WOE, I came on here to get ideas of sample menus for the day. I used to think, my goodness, these people don't eat. I am never going to make this work.

But I will tell you, I have found that the Proteins fill you right up. And with no portion control, eat what I want and am satisfied. I don't feel deprived because I wanted 3 string cheese and only had enough "points" for 1. If want 3, I eat three.

I really can't say enough about this WOE.

Oh, my! I have rambled on and on. Sorry! You take care and good luck!!

Nikki
Old 08-08-2003, 01:00 PM   #3  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Abfab-Am not currently exercising (OOPS!) but I find then when I do I always lose weight faster. Some of the recipes are inconsistent. I think the full fat is supposed to be better (fewer carbs) but you are supposed to limit intake (No given amounts, just try to keep fats down a bit.) Pickles of any kind should be fine as long as they aren't sweet pickles (just make sure there is no sugar, corn syrup etc. in them.) I would think that ANY pure vinegar should be fine. At any rate we are allowed to use small amounts of any"sauce" that is under 3 grams carb. Red wine is suggested because of cardiac benefits. Any DRY wine should be fine. Ruth says scotch is low carb too, so even though it is not "book allowed" I may indulge for special occassions. I AIN'T PASSING UP SINGLE MALT!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 01:57 PM   #4  

To quote my grandfather, dentrassi, "I don't touch blended ANYTHING!" so I'm with you on the single malt (he brought me up right, at least in terms of scotch).

Sadly, it looks like I might have to say goodbye to my riesling...
Old 08-08-2003, 02:19 PM   #5  
Mous

Very good information.

Lady Marcie
Old 08-08-2003, 03:17 PM   #6  
CELULITE BABE BLUES

Talking

I went from a couch potatoe to jogging approx 30-35mins/walking 15-25 min's daily,,I seem to have more energy now than I have had in years,,foods we r allowed seem to fuel my body extremely well..I lost 9lbs in first 7days and truely feel the running and drinking 120oz of lemon/lime water made a great impact,,day 17 on SBD now and down 13lbs total..I drink lots of h20 because I am a salt freek!!...........GOFISHIN
Old 08-08-2003, 03:50 PM   #7  

Abfabgirl,

I hadn't exercised in years. But along with the SBD I started working out again. Ouch! I was to crazy I started out with Cindy Crawfords Shape Your Body 40 minutes workout! They call her trainer Radu, The Killer Whale! Heavens. And my sweet little sister was the one who gave me this tape. I am beginning to loosen up and really enjoy this work out. Except for the abdominals. Those are so very hard for me. But I will flatten this belly if its the last thing I do. I've discovered I "really" like working with weights. This is so amazing to me.

Pickles should be fine as long as they are not the sweet ones.

I use very little mayo, so I use either.

I don't want wine, just a Martini,,,,''shaken'

This is a great way to eat.

Last edited by Lilibelle; 08-08-2003 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:18 PM   #8  

Okay here's a question. Not that I'm thinking of drinking during phase one, well not seriously anyway, but why aren't we allowed rum? It has no carbs and one oz. (enough for a Rum & Coke) has less calories than red wine.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:59 PM   #9  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

He doesn't allow anything really except red wine, because of the heart benefits. The guy is a cardiologist, so he is REALLY into keeping it healthy. I think a no carb drink (diet pop for rum and coke) once in a great while wouldn't hurt anything. I don't partake too often because of my meds, but when I do i will probably have what I want (which is mostly low sugar anyway!!)

EXCEPT for Drambuie, which I will have to do without....sigh.... (Your grandfather taught you well ABFAB!!!)

OOPS!! Forgot.....you have to watch it with the pickles because of the sodium count. I eat them, but not by the plateful like i did when I was a kid!!!

Last edited by dentrassi; 08-08-2003 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:45 PM   #10  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Post Booze

If I remember correctly, the restriction on alcohol except red wine has to do with the way your body metabolizes alcohol, not the number of carbs. Apparently your body takes the alcohol and turns it into sugar? I don't drink very often so it hasn't been a concern at all...maybe someone here knows?
Closed Thread