Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #1  
fake it till you make IT!

S/C/G: 312/264/199

Height: 5'6

Default Im on Weight Watchers but I can't afford the meetings anymore & Im scared :(

I have been extremely broke for awhile now, I got laid of & unemployment was paying me next to nothing. In January my boyfriend payed for me to start WW and gave me $ to pay for the 1st 2 months to go to meetings and all the start up kits, everything I needed to get started. Hes also been paying all my bills and basically supporting me.

Well our car needs the entire a.c thingy fixed along with the breaks & its gonna be like $700 on top of some other bills that came unexpected & I really can't afford the $42 a month anymore, at least until I get back on my feet.

I'm going to keep the Etools which I believe is $20 which I can barely afford that, but I need it bc I'm constantly it.

I'm scared that not going to the meetings will have a bad affect on me. They emphasize CONSTANTLY on how important the meetings are so that scares me. I have alot if support from home with my b.f and I'm apart of ALOT of weight loss forums which help me too but I never did WW before and got off to a bumpy start to begin with and now with not going to the meetings Im scared that I wont do good.

Any advice? Tips? Anyone do it at home & have been successful??
tinkerbelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #2  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 167.5/150/130

Height: 5'3

First of all welcome You seem to have come so far already! I do ww online and come here for my support and weigh ins. You have to make sure you come here though and it works just as good as the meetings IMO.

Really, the girls here are amazing and very helpful, even when you have melt down days! I believe you CAN do this from home!
Tonyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #3  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

Red face

Seems like we're in the exact same position. I just had to put new brakes on my car and my air compressor is getting ready to go as well. I work for Olan Mills but I only get 24 hours a week at the most. My boyfriend is picking up all the extra slack while I try to find a second part time job. I did the meeting initially and absolutely loved them, but I cannot afford them. My mom is currently paying for my etools, which is more than generous of her.

NEVER FEAR! I thought I wouldn't be as successful at home, but I've found that I'm as if not more successful without the meetings. Nothing really changed for me. I have a great support system in my best friend/mom and boyfriend, but I also have a great support system on 3FC that has replaced my meetings.

As long as you stick to the plan like you're supposed to, you should be fine. Don't let yourself slack just because you don't have meetings to go to for accountability. Find an accountability partner to let them know what kind of a week you had. Don't skip weighing yourself if you think you've gained.
I really haven't had any bumps in the road with doing it at home and honestly think you'll be just fine as long as you stick to your points!

Good luck!

Last edited by tessendicott; 03-21-2012 at 09:51 PM.
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #4  
Betsey

S/C/G: 232.2/185.5/160

Height: 5'10

My suggestion to you is to make sure to follow all the directions on the website (I've been doing that and its been great)! Make sure to keep track of all your activities and food and you'll keep doing great!

Another thing that I did was I went and bought a measuring tape (at a fabric store... didn't think of looking there til talking to my mom) and I've been doing my measurements on the site too! This has been a huge motivation for me. While I'm not dropping the all the weight I want every week, seeing the measurement changes has been a huge motivation!!

Also, why not start a forum on here with a weekly weigh in (or look one up; not sure if there is one on here or not) and use that to hold yourself accountable!

I hope that helps. If you ever need motivation, make sure to keep coming to this site!
bt2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelll View Post
I have been extremely broke for awhile now, I got laid of & unemployment was paying me next to nothing. In January my boyfriend payed for me to start WW and gave me $ to pay for the 1st 2 months to go to meetings and all the start up kits, everything I needed to get started. Hes also been paying all my bills and basically supporting me.

Well our car needs the entire a.c thingy fixed along with the breaks & its gonna be like $700 on top of some other bills that came unexpected & I really can't afford the $42 a month anymore, at least until I get back on my feet.

I'm going to keep the Etools which I believe is $20 which I can barely afford that, but I need it bc I'm constantly it.

I'm scared that not going to the meetings will have a bad affect on me. They emphasize CONSTANTLY on how important the meetings are so that scares me. I have alot if support from home with my b.f and I'm apart of ALOT of weight loss forums which help me too but I never did WW before and got off to a bumpy start to begin with and now with not going to the meetings Im scared that I wont do good.

Any advice? Tips? Anyone do it at home & have been successful??

If you find that you really do need the meeting/weigh-in, but can't afford WW, I'd highly recommend TOPS (you can find local groups at tops.org - and if there is no group in your area, it only takes four people to create their own chapter. There was an article in one of last years magazines that featured small member groups (often family members who charge no monthly dues so the only cost is the $28 for the yearly membership).

I have only ever succeeded at weight loss in the long-term when I was attending weekly meetings; and whenever I gave up the meetings, I inevitably regained (almost immediately, in most cases). I've just finally realized and come to terms with the fact that to be successful, I will need to attend a weight management support group for the rest of my life - or I will fail...

For me, it's the meeting and weigh-in that's most important, not the food plan (if any) endorsed by the group. The two groups I've done best on (and about equally well) have been Weight Watchers and TOPS (taking off pound sensibly).

I discovered TOPS more than twenty years ago, when I quit my job to go to graduate school full time and could no longer afford Weight Watchers. Even if the costs were the same, I think I would now choose TOPS over WW because I prefer the TOPS atmosphere. However, if TOPS were not available to me, I would have to find a way to afford WW or form my own similar group, because I need the public weigh-in and the accountability to real people I care about.

TOPS is a not-for-profit international weight loss club, with an early history much like Weight Watchers, except that the founder of WW, Jean Nidetch started her club in 1963 and went the business-model for profit route, and Esther Manz started TOPS in 1948 and chose the non-profit sector. The early plans were very similar, relying on the exchange plan developed by the American Diabetes Association, and the American Dietetic Association.

TOPS allows members to choose their own food plan, and many members are former or current WW members (you can actually be a member of both clubs simultaneously, which I am considering, because I think I would benefit from two weigh-in meetings weekly. I still have a tendency to have a "cheat day" or two after my weigh-in. I need to eliminate the off-plan eating and I think the double weigh-in would help (and I now can afford both, though when I started TOPS my husband and I could either afford one of us to go to WW or both of us to go to TOPS, so we chose TOPS. Hubby has dropped out of TOPS, and our budget is not as tight, so I can afford to join WW if I want, and I've been considering it - but I wouldn't give up TOPS because of the incentive programs in place for weight loss. I like that TOPS allows me to be rewarded - and even "paid" for weight loss).

There are some unique disadvantages and advantages to each plan, but the biggest advantage to TOPS is the price. As a not-for-profit, the cost is quite low (I spend on TOPS for a year, than in six weeks of WW). To join, it's $28 per year for the national dues (which includes a 9 issue per year magazine with articles, success stories, recipes...)

The monthly dues vary but are almost always under $5 per month (we have three groups in our area and dues range from $2 to $5 per month), but there are often ways to earn free dues. For example in our chapter, any weight loss in a month, earns you free dues the next month due.

Most chapters have some kind of fine for weight gain (a nickel or dime per pound, or a quarter for any gain - usually very small stakes), and the best loser for the week usually earns some kind of cash prize. I've been in some groups that give all or part of the fine money to the biggest loser, but in my current group everyone contributes a dime each week and the biggest loser takes the dimes home (this way, no one is benefiting from the misfortunes of others. In groups where the fines go to the biggest loser it can be tempting to hope everyone else gains, so if you win, you'll get more money).

The biggest disadvantage to TOPS is also it's biggest advantage (depending on your personality). TOPS is much more personal and less anonymous than WW. Members do share more details about their progress than in WW. In WW, you can be anonymous. If you gain, no one has to know. In most TOPS chapters, everyone shares whether they've lost, gained, or stayed the same, and some chapters share the amount (I've never been in a group that exptected members to share their exact weight. Even in our group, while virtually all of us share how much we've lost or gained, it's entirely acceptable to refuse to share the specifics, if for example you're embarassed about how much you've gained). If you lose or stay the same, everyone applauds, and if you gain, everyone says "we're glad you came."

Another disadvantage is that there are no diet experts or trained dietitians (except by accident if a member happens to have such qualifications), and so you'll hear different and contradictory advice as members share what has worked for them.

Some people don't do well with the competitive aspect, but virtually all of the competitions are entirely optional, and you can opt out.

I've been a member of TOPS groups in Illinois and Wisconsin, and in all of the groups I've been in, there have always been members who were either former or current Weight Watchers members, many of which continued to follow and discuss the WW food plan in the meeting. In my experience in the groups I belonged to, I'd estimate that 1/4 to 1/3 of TOPS members were following WW's current plan, and if you included former WW plans, the numbers often went up to half or more.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #6  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 151/151/130

Height: 5'2"

Don't be scared I did it before without meetings, you will be fine, Best of Luck to you!
SpankyBuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I do on line only and it's working for me.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #8  

I was super nervous to try to follow WW on my own. I had lost 30 pounds in 3 months,and it was obviously working for me. I decided in the new year to give myself one month to follow it on my own and if I gained or didn't lose,I was going to re join. But,since January I have lost another 27 pounds on my own. To be honest,I much prefer it! I follow all of the rules,but I don't have the pressure of weighing in. For myself,I was obsessed and a wreck,come weigh in day. I wouldn't eat like all day and I put way to much pressure on myself. Not to mention if I didn't lose anything! I was very hard on myself,now I'm losing a little slower,but with way less pressure! If you need the group support,I suggest you,find a friend to be accountable to,or like I prior poster suggested,find a tops in your area. Good luck! I know you can do it!
Unskinnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Unskinnygirl,
Pl tell me rules of your diet. I am following 17 Day Diet for last 9 months, lost 22 lbs. But, now it is not working. I am also fed up of it.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #10  

I love your post because I feel the same way about WW. Its so expensive and they do give you treats to come. When you go you get coupons to use for money off there products which is great, but you can get that support from other groups. I recommend finding people who go to the meetings currently so that way you can find out what the topic is. Another cheaper way is to just prepay for etools for 3 months and go to the meetings when you can.
livelifebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneri View Post
Unskinnygirl,
Pl tell me rules of your diet. I am following 17 Day Diet for last 9 months, lost 22 lbs. But, now it is not working. I am also fed up of it.
I just follow WW I count my points and follow it just like I would if I were still goin to meetings and weighing in. WW works best for me because I'm not denied anything. Just moderation,portion control,and healthy food choices. I don't know how I have managed to keep myself accountable. But it's working for me. I guess this weightloss thing finally clicked. I'm very programmed with how I eat. I have learned a lot in my journey. I have found that I needed to tweak some things for myself along the way. You kind of need to just be your own guinea pig. Figure out what works and what doesn't. To be honest I'm shocked with every ten pounds I lose. I always think that it can't be right. I've lost all this weight just by slightly changing my eating habits! I would say for you,if you don't feel like the 17 day diet is working for you anymore,maybe it's time to either tweak your program,or find a new
Program for yourself. Good luck to you! And 22 pounds is still awesome!!!!
Unskinnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #12  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 278.2/252.2/185

Height: 5'7"

I'm doing WW without the meetings and have done great so far. This web site is a God send!!! You can do it and when you need support just come here and everyone here will help you through!!!! We are always here for you. Good Luck!!!!!!
tinamparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5'1"

I've been in the same situation and using spark people, this forum, and calculating your points on your own will help. Don't be scared to keep on going. The reason why you get scared is because you are in that moment that you can either move forward and lose weight or you can fall back, and stay the way you are. Move forward, and know in your heart that you can do this!
soompi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #14  
Skinny Girl In Disguise

S/C/G: 226/212/146

Height: 5ft 4''

Default tuesday weigh ins?

i really feel for you, i know exactly how you feel! i'm a single parent and struggle financially, ww has just been squeezed in somehow (for now!!). i am going to meeings but i find i lose better when someone is doing it with me. i attended meetings with my sister and then later with my friend and we kept each other motivated. it would be great to have fellow weightwatchers on here to support each other. today is my weigh in day (tuesday), week 1 and i was up 1.5lbs , not good considering thats the time when your supposed to lose the most! i didnt have time this morning to stay for the meeting but i am going back tonight for it! I NEED MOTIVATION!!
skinniminni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinniminni View Post
i really feel for you, i know exactly how you feel! i'm a single parent and struggle financially, ww has just been squeezed in somehow (for now!!). i am going to meeings but i find i lose better when someone is doing it with me. i attended meetings with my sister and then later with my friend and we kept each other motivated. it would be great to have fellow weightwatchers on here to support each other. today is my weigh in day (tuesday), week 1 and i was up 1.5lbs , not good considering thats the time when your supposed to lose the most! i didnt have time this morning to stay for the meeting but i am going back tonight for it! I NEED MOTIVATION!!
Just want to say not to give up. I know it's hard to not see the scales move. For me, i have weeks that I do not lose or when I do, I've lost 0.25 lbs... But! I feel better, with making better choices, and knowing that I am in control.
soompi123 is offline   Reply With Quote