Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Thoughts on running (or trying to!)

First off, let me just say this: I don't even know if this post will make any sense. It's basically just me rambling on about something I've noticed lately...something that's made me wonder if attempting to run will be any easier the next time I give it a try.

I started losing weight in January of 2011, and last summer I decided that I wanted to try running. At that point I had lost about 40 pounds, and I had much more energy. Plus, I already walked at an insane pace anyway, so I figured running would be a piece of cake. Right?

....No. Not so much.

Don't get me wrong...my legs/feet weren't really the problem. It was my lungs that hated me for it. I was huffing and puffing and getting on like a total lunatic, even though I was following the Couch to 5K program (and I only got halfway through Week 1, so it's not like I was running any crazy amount of time at that point.)

There's nothing wrong with my lung function or anything (I was tested for all that stuff at the beginning of my weight loss) but honest to god, I was just knackered. So I gave up.

But then I started reading about proper posture for running, and the thought flashed through my mind, "Hmmm. Maybe that's the problem?" And that's when I started thinking, well, maybe my posture just sucks. It always did, especially when I was fat (because of course I slouched like crazy.)

Recently, though, I've noticed that when I walk, my posture is soo much better. I literally walk tall now, which is something I never did before. And I notice that my footfalls when I walk are lighter and...I don't know, it's almost like sometimes I have to physically *stop* myself from breaking into a run.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? *Could* it have been my posture that was holding me back? I always found that when I tried to run, my upper body was thrust forward quite a bit. Maybe if I had been standing straight, I would have made it farther.

Also, a side question for those of you who run and are underpronators, like me: Do you have any recommendations for really good running shoes? I go through sneakers like *crazy*; I bought a pair less than a year ago and they're already worn completely smooth on the outsides of the soles.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I underpronate and I like New Balance best -- the 883 was the last I had. I decided to experiment instead of heading to the 840. So right now I'm trying Brooks Glycerin and that's ok for 2nd. But I'm heading back when these are up.

I don't wear mine down that fast/bad. But in 6 mos I can feel the lack of support so they become street shoes instead of gym, and then yard shoes, and then out.

If you are wearing THAT bad so fast see a foot doc. You might need corrective orthotics.

Since you aren't there any more, you can't know for sure it was posture. I do know walking is 1.5x your weight on your feet/knees and running is 3x. So the larger you are the more the foot pound jars the system.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-24-2012 at 08:38 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #3  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

First, let me start with the caveat that I am NO expert on running, not at all. All I have is my own limited experience to go by.

I had a terrible time with C25K when I tried it. I think it was three times, and I never got past week two or three. I just found it too hard, and it made me miserable. I'm pretty certain the reason I found it so tough was that I was trying to run too fast when I would do the run intervals. And by too fast I don't actually mean FAST, but rather just a running gait that felt natural for me (which is why I didn't realize it was too fast). My lungs couldn't handle it, at all, and I had problems with my shins almost from the get-go. Much later I began running on my own at a VERY slow pace - and realized then that I *could* run, I just had to start really, really slow (slower than felt natural) to do it. Once my body got used to that I was able to improve my speed and endurance. My current pace STILL feels slow when I start, and my legs really want to GO, but by a mile or so in I'm really glad that I'm not running faster. So honestly - if you're having a tough time keeping up cardio-wise, I would suggest slowing WAY WAY down when you give it a try again. It made all the difference for me.

On the posture, I do notice that I have an easier time breathing when my back is straight, my head is up and I'm looking straight ahead, and my shoulders are relaxed. So the posture could certainly make a difference as well.

I'm an overpronator, so I'm not much help there. But, if you get fitted at a running store for your shoes they will help you pick ones that will work well for your gait, and can also recommend inserts to help normalize your pronation. I have inserts in mine, and while I was skeptical about really needing them and they felt weird at first, they've probably helped as I've had zero pain or problems with my feet, ankles or legs.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote