General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #1  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Mirena?

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone had Mirena and how they like it?
Did you gain any weight on it or did it affect you losing weight negatively at all?
Did it bother you the first few weeks or did you not feel it at all?
(I'm trying to figure out how to go about getting it and paying it off, it's cheaper than my normal birth control per month, but I don't know if any doctor will bill me for it. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. I know that Planned Parenthood also puts them in for you, but really don't want to go there if I don't have to)
Thanks ladies!
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4

I have it and LOVE it!!! I did not notice a change in my weight but I did notice that my skin looked like pizza for a little bit and I had some spotting for almost a month after. I also had to have the strings cut because my boy friend at the time could feel it and it wasn't a good thing. Now after several years I barely have a period 4 times a year that is no more than one day of spotting. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I plan on getting another. Also you can take the mini pill to help with side effects at first. oh btw I have had two c-sections and it because I never went it to labor it HURT going in!!! We almost gave up.
KeriHallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #3  
Pinup extraordinaire!

Ugh. I've never had children, so I'm sure it will be delightful going in if I get it. I'm sure I would have to have the strings cut as well, well...because (maybe TMI) Mack is quite large.

I'm going to call my gyno and planned parenthood tomorrow to see if either can set up any payment plans.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/191

Height: 5'6"

I gained a ton of weight with it. I learned after having it for many years that it messes with your body by tricking it into thinking you've gone through menopause. That's how you stop having periods. That can't be healthy for young people. My advice is to do your research . It's a scary product.
1049jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4

I didn't think that they would give it to you unless you already had kids?? It is the same thing that is in the mini pill you take when you breastfeed. There are always scary stories regarding any drug. Just weigh your options.
KeriHallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

I have it... And no problems so far (no weight gain at all). Very comfortable but I have kids.
PrincessSophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

My friend has it and she loves it. She does not have children, though. They almost gave up because it was so hard to get in and then afterwards she basically had contractions for a WEEK. She said that part was awful but that she'd do it all over again.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #8  
It is what it is...

Interesting, I didn't know that if you haven't had kids that it would be hard to get in, that makes me reconsider it as well ...i am very happy with what I am using now though, I am on Seasonique - the one where you take the pill continuously for three months and then get your period, so I only have a period 4 times a year and I love it ...I haven't noticed any weight gain from it...I think people will say they gained weight from any kind of pill really...we need to just admit that we over eat, haha ....anyway I just also wanted to say that I know two people ( sister in law and friend here at work ) who have had it removed because it "wandered" out of the uterus...I know they say that is very rare but not so rare if I know two people close to me who it happened too....just something to consider.

Good Luck.

Carri
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

I've had it for almost 5 years. I actually have my tubes tied, but I got the Mirena to help regulate my periods. I haven't experienced any weight gains with it. I still have monthly periods, but they don't last as long and aren't nearly as heavy as they were before Mirena. The one negative side effect is I have been more prone to yeast/bacterial infections. I never got those prior to Mirena.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #10  
Pinup extraordinaire!

I'll have to do some more research on it. I really want the implanon but I don't know if my gyn will set up a payment plan for it since it's so expensive.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

I have it as well. For over 3 years now and love it. I do not have any children either. For me it was fairly painful going in and I felt crampy fornthe rest of the evening and then I was fine. My period is very light. Maybe a day or two of spotting. My sister originally had the copper iud put in but has since switched because it gave her a heavier period and she loves mirnena too. I would just do some research, there is always going to be some negative reaction to anything and your more likely to hear about those than the perople very happy. I will be getting another one once this one is up. Just my 2 cents.
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

It is more uncomfortable to get an IUD if you have no had children. The level of pain varies by person, some it is quite severe, others it is slightly worse than pms cramps. It is my understanding that most ObGyns will recommend placing it at the end or right after your period as your cervix is softer. I think that reduces the pain.

If you don't have an issue with hormones, I'd recommend the Mirena over the copper IUD Paragard. The Paragard made my period significantly heavier and longer, so much so I felt like it was interfering with my sex life. I only switched from Mirena to Paragard after my last child was born because I am super sensitive to all forms of hormones.

I am temporarily on the pill until DH gets the all clear after having a vasectomy in January.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #13  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

I've had it for over 4 yrs. I got it because of EXTREMELY heavy periods because I am perimenopausal. It did hurt a lot having it put in because I also had my daughter by cesarian. It was bad enought that I literally pushed the speculum right out! LOL The doctor said that was a first for him. I was one of the lucky ones that after a few months had no periods at all. Just an ocassional day of spotting (rarely). I had no problems hormonally. My dr said it didn't have more than enough to affect the uterus. Im not sure if I will have to get another after the 5 yrs or if my body has decided Im done with the period thing. That would be good. lol Good luck deciding.
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Don't let it turn you off if you haven't had kids. I haven't, and it wasn't a problem. It felt like a second of really bad cramps, but that was it. You go in when you are on your period (I guess the cervix is more open). I didn't have any issues with it as far as weight gain goes. Definitely recommend it (did get it removed because of migraines, but that wasn't mirena specific, just hormone sensitive).
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

I also have a Mirena - no kids or pregnancy ever, and I had a super easy insertion (didn't hurt at all, but it did cramp a bit and wasn't the most fun ever - but just uncomfortable for a few seconds) and no problems with it so far. I far prefer it to taking BC pills!
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote