General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/247/178

Height: 5'6''

Default Flat feet help!

So I have like no arches in my feet, which causes a lot of pain when I try to work out, or just walk to class. Are there any shoes that you all recommend I check out? I am currently checking out Dr. Marten's (for looks mostly). Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by preshington; 03-21-2012 at 06:06 PM.
preshington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by preshington View Post
So I have like no arches in my feet, which causes a lot of pain when I try to work out, or just walk to class. Are there any shoes that you all recommend I check out? I am currently checking out Dr. Marten's (for looks mostly). Thank you all in advance!
If any of the stores in your area (walmart or a drug store) has the Dr. Scholls machine that checks your feet to see whats wrong, than use it. I tried it after dealing with painful feet after being on them for only an hour. Working out helped a bit, but I can't workout every day. The inserts cost $50 and it didn't look like much, but I swear I can't live without them now!!
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #3  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I recommend seeing a podiatrist, they can get you in the right shoes with the proper insoles/arch support.. I hope you you get relief soon.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

For sneakers you could try shoe dog. But a foot doc would be best if you have pain.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/...t/shoe-dog.jsp

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-21-2012 at 07:46 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

My feet are super flat, and I have plantar fasciitis in both of them. I ADORE my Birkenstocks - I've collected 40 pairs in the last 15 years. For sneakers, the only ones I can wear without my orthotics are Brooks Ariel. Not terribly cute, but not much is in a 10 wide. I also like the stapled bottom Sanita clogs. Sanita used to be the supplier for Dansko, but Dansko went to a Chinese supplier a couple years ago and I don't think they're as comfortable as the Sanitas are.

You could also try Orthaheel sandals - they have good arch support, too.

ETA - Doc Martens have NO arch support - they are completely flat inside. You'll have to add some sort of insert if that's what you want to wear.

Last edited by Riddy; 03-22-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #6  
BACON

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5'2

I to recommend getting fitting for CUSTOM ORTHOTICS ! I to have VERY flat feet and I'm in horrible pain when working our BUT since I've gotten my custom made orthotics my feet ar 90% better

and if your not ready to spend on that go to shoe dog like listed above
LEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffNeedsChange View Post
I recommend seeing a podiatrist, they can get you in the right shoes with the proper insoles/arch support.. I hope you you get relief soon.
Yep - I have flat feet and got my first custom orthotics at around 8 years old and had to pay out of pocket for them ($800) every time my feet grew/they wore out until my most recent ones. My insurance is finally paying for them (though now they're almost 1k). They're worth it if you need to pay or not.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #8  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

My DH and all 3 boys have flat feet. The boys haven't experienced problems yet, but DH has had foot aching for years. Our insurance doesn't pay for orthotics, so he did try the Dr Scholls thing at our Walmart and the shoe inserts it recommended have made a huge difference!! Not very expensive compared to custom orthotics and he recommends trying it. Best wishes!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

You really do need to get fitted for inserts. I'm speaking from personal experience here, but if you do a lot of high impact exercises you need supportive (best, fitted especially to your feet) inserts.

As for shoes. I like New Balance for workouts and Danskos for everyday use. They have a small built in arch and I use this with inserts (I haven't found anywhere locally where I can get custom made inserts ).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

I have the opposite problem and I will add a second vote for Birkenstocks, since Riddy with flat feet endorsed them. I think it is worth researching.

With high arches the feet tend to roll out not in as with low arches and stress a different set of tendons in the foot (peroneals) Very unstable. I spent $300 at a podiatrist who would have destroyed my feet with a rigid plastic arch insert [seriously based on discussions with ortho surgeon and physical therapist] and $650 with an orthopedic surgeon and pedorthist for an insert that did work. The problem is 6 months later the insert (which would only work in ONE pair of shoes) needed to be replaced and someone suggested Birks. I have never looked back and now walk about 6 miles a day. I rotate 3 pair and resole as needed.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote