Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #1  
SummerRuth2013-MFP

S/C/G: 275.5/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'5

Default Which one?

So I'm looking at starting to go to a gym here in town. I wanted to know: do you start first with focusing on cardio and then move to weight training later on in the process or do you do both (with cardio as a warm-up)?
Mama_Angel_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #2  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I was told by one of the guys at the gym to do weights then cardio. It has something to do with when you do weight training it burns more fat after when you're not doing anything than if you were to JUST focus on cardio. and with weight loss it can be a slower process focusing on weights because you're building muscle which weighs more than fat, but in the end it'll help you once you get all the weight off it won't come back on as quickly as lets say you just do cardio. Which makes sense because whenever I've just done cardio to lose weight it takes next to nothing for that weight to come back on. So do weights and when your doing your cardio afterwards. and incorp both of them in with your workouts.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I think you should do whatever you can see yourself sticking to. I want to do weights eventually but right now I'm focusing on my running. I want to be a runner. I want to be able to run several miles without stopping. After I achieve that, I'm going to stick with running and start weights.

I know myself. I can't jump into several life altering routines at the same time. I need months of sticking to one thing before I add another. I started running in August. I started dieting in November. I added more work out days in January. I added an extra work out on my running days this week (Just a Jillian Michaels DVD). If I had started all of that at the same time I would have cried after 5 days and quit.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

Depends entirely on what you want to do. I believe it's technically a bit more efficient to do weight-lifting first and then cardio, but I personally don't like weight-lifting, so I just run. Basically, the best exercise is whatever you can stick to, so find something you like (running, lifting, dancing, kickboxing, anything) and do that regardless of what is technically 'best.'
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daki View Post
I think you should do whatever you can see yourself sticking to. I want to do weights eventually but right now I'm focusing on my running. I want to be a runner. I want to be able to run several miles without stopping. After I achieve that, I'm going to stick with running and start weights.

I know myself. I can't jump into several life altering routines at the same time. I need months of sticking to one thing before I add another. I started running in August. I started dieting in November. I added more work out days in January. I added an extra work out on my running days this week (Just a Jillian Michaels DVD). If I had started all of that at the same time I would have cried after 5 days and quit.
I agree! After I thought of what I really want to do-I lost more weight than I have in the 4 years of up and down weight-I first focus on diet, and walking around. When I join the gym (trying to fit that in my budget), I'll start out with some kickboxing and maybe some yoga for my stress. But I did have the temptation to do so much but I know that when it comes down to it, it only makes it more unappealing for me lol.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #6  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daki View Post
I think you should do whatever you can see yourself sticking to.
This. Both are fine. Both will help you lose weight. Do whatever you prefer.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Do whichever you find fun! I started out doing cardio, mostly because i knew how to operate a treadmill but wasnt sure about how to do weights without squishing myself. But as i gained confidence, I moved to weights and now really enjoy that too and alternate with cardio. I think both are important for weight loss, health and looking good- but definitely do some kind of warm up before jumping into the weights
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 161/143/120

Height: 5'1.5"

Have you considered circuit training? It's essentially alternating doing resistance training with cardio. A common one is cardio warm-up / legs resistance training / cardio interval / arms resistance training / cardio interval / core resistance training / cardio.

I'm sure you can find much more qualified information all over this site and the Internet, but I thought I'd let you know that this works well for me sometimes!
shadetree20 is offline   Reply With Quote