Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default Which is Healthier - PB2 or Organic Natural Peanut Butter?

I like to eat as many whole foods/natural foods as possible. However, as always, I am concerned about calories, sugars, and carbs. When I get a peanut butter craving, which would be the best route to take - PB2 or an organic natural peanut butter?

Last edited by guacamole; 03-20-2012 at 03:07 PM.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #2  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

i got the pb2 cuz i thought it would be good it does not taste good like peanut butter I wish I hadn't of bought it now I think eating just a little peanut butter is better also you get the little bit of fat then too that cures your cravings so yeah I regret buying it it will probably just sit in the shelf now.

I get almond butter from trader joe that is good or I have some natural valencia peanut butter from there too that are pretty good. Which worked just fine for weight loss before long as you just have a little.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #3  

I think the organic natural peanut butter. I occasionally use PB2, but it contains sugar, which the natural p.b. doesn't.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
I like to eat as many whole foods/natural foods as possible. However, as always, I am concerned about calories, sugars, and carbs. When I get a peanut butter craving, which would be the best route to take - PB2 or an organic natural peanut butter?
Food is healthy or unhealthy only in the greater context of the health and health goals of the person eating it. So you have to know your own health issues and goals to answer the question. What is more important to you, the carb, calorie, fat, or "wholeness" of the food.

If you want to be a purist about whole foods, PB2 is not a whole food, because the fat has been removed and sugar added. I'm definitely not a purist. I use artificial sweeteners and some other non-paleo, non-whole foods. I've determined that artificial sweeteners are healthier for me than sugar, so I use them. The determiner for me is calories and hunger. Real sugar is higher in calorie and also triggers carb cravings and excess hunger.

I haven't bought PB2, because I don't eat enough peanut butter for me to "save" much. However, even if I ate peanut butter every day, I might not switch to PB2, because I'm carb-sensitive. It would depend on the carb content (not just the sugar content). If it's nearly as low-carb as natural peanut butter, and saved a lot of calories, and if I ate it often enough to warrant the savings, I might choose PB2.

You have to know your own "if's." What is more important to you - flavor, calories, carbs, fat... and how much do you save, and or lose in the trade.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-20-2012 at 08:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/142/140

Height: 5'3"

I am a calorie counter and I love pb2. I need protein with every snack or meal and this is a low calorie alternative that fits in my diet quite well. Others have also recommended peanut flour from trader joes.
Jonjaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I agree with Kaplods. It depends what your priorities are at this point. I love PB2 and I am kind of obsessed with it to the point that I need to be careful with it or I may go overboard. That said, I can't eat regular peanut butter at all because of its caloric impact...and I can't just have a tiny bit. Also, I'm very much a volume eater so I have the PB2 (by the way, it only tastes good to me if I add more water than the manufacturer has on the directions) with celery and that's a great snack for me to have. I hope that helps.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't like PB2 due to the added sugar. I do sometimes by peanut butter powder that is just defatted peanuts. Trade Joe's carries some. It's good in a smoothie.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Thanks - I am a calorie counter too, and seeing how just 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 2 slices of bread could cost me a minimum of 300 calories is daunting. That sandwich would have to keep me full for a long time to be worth it. Of course, I could eat 3 or 4 peanut butter sandwiches in one sitting, easy!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #9  

i havent tried pb2 yet but i just bought a jar of better n peanut butter at trader joes. it was so gross. i knew it wasnt going to taste the same as regular PB but it had this really weird texture and funky taste. ill stick w regular PB anyday and just measure it out
chaitea115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

I am a firm believer in natural, organic products as much as possible. I get my peanut butter in a natural market where you can grind your own so there is nothing in it but just plain ole organic peanuts.

I am convinced it is FAR better to eat ALL products in as close to their natural state as possible, with as little processing and added sugar, chemicals, etc.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #11  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I have a high speed blender, I don't have access to organic peanuts, but the store brand of dry roasted nuts at one of the local stores has not added sugar. I dump them in the blender, pulse a couple times and then let it go for about a minute, if it needs sweetening I add some honey we got from a local apiary.

I saw the recipe for making your own peanut butter online, this one adds not fat or sugar, she used organic honey dry roasted peanuts, which I couldn't find, but I just use dry roasted and add the honey at the end.

I was amazed when I looked at the ingredients on dry roasted nuts that many of them have sugar or corn syrup, I remember them being a staple of low carb snacking, so just be aware, it pays to read the labels in case they change something.

Last edited by kelijpa; 12-01-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: correct grammar
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote