Old 03-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #1  
TexasGirl

S/C/G: 173.7/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Transitioning from IP to Atkins

I am curious if any of you have transferred from Atkins to IP or visa versa. I have been on IP for 4 weeks and lost over 18 pounds. Even though that is great, I am starving all of the time. My body has been telling me that something is missing but I have not been able to figure it out. The great thing is that IP has taught me to consume 64+ ounces of water plus it has now become a habit to get in all of my vegetables.....I was not either of these before starting the program.

This weekend, I made the decision to transition to the Atkins diet with a focus on leans meats and good fats. I think this will be fairly easy to do. I bought the new Atkins book this weekend and the vegetable consumption mirrors what I have been doing. I feel that my body needs more meals of substance and a program that I can work around when I eat out socially.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done this....

Great group of women on the IP boards. I learned so much!
Yatese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/147/130

Height: 5'0

Hi Yatese, I sent you an instant msg regarding this.
Trinique125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #3  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatese View Post
I am curious if any of you have transferred from Atkins to IP or visa versa. I have been on IP for 4 weeks and lost over 18 pounds. Even though that is great, I am starving all of the time. My body has been telling me that something is missing but I have not been able to figure it out. The great thing is that IP has taught me to consume 64+ ounces of water plus it has now become a habit to get in all of my vegetables.....I was not either of these before starting the program.

This weekend, I made the decision to transition to the Atkins diet with a focus on leans meats and good fats. I think this will be fairly easy to do. I bought the new Atkins book this weekend and the vegetable consumption mirrors what I have been doing. I feel that my body needs more meals of substance and a program that I can work around when I eat out socially.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done this....

Great group of women on the IP boards. I learned so much!

I am most likely going to be doing the same when I finish up the packets that I have. I personally have concerns about staying at this low calorie/lwo fat/low nutrient level for longer than a month, though I know that there are people that have done so very successfully.

I have fibro/chronic fatigue and thyroid issues, and previous bloodwork has shown that I trend very low in vitamin/mineral balances. So after some reflection and extensive reading, I will be moving to the newer version Atkins as well. I was never a fan of the "all you can eat bacon" and high fat version of Atkins, so I previously did a lower fat, higher veggie version just like what they are recommending now, and it was very successful for me.

I would also like to hear any insight others may have, as Yatese mentioned above.
bethanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #4  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Is it like this but with more carbs? Is it like Phase 3 on this diet? Will you still be in ketosis?
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #5  
TexasGirl

S/C/G: 173.7/140

Height: 5'7"

It will be less carbs because the induction phase only allows about 20 net carbs - net carbs is the total amount of carbs minus fiber. About 15 net carbs is to come from your daily intake of cooked and raw vegetables....making this a balanced approach. I was eating a lot more than that on IP. For example my favorite Chocolate Soy Snacks had 10 net carbs per package. My chocolate morning drink had about the same. That exceeds the total dialy limit on the New Atkins For A New you program. This is entirely different from the old Atkins....

I am excited and felt physically good today We are all on our personal journey and are responsible for finding what works best for us individually.

Thanks so much for your feedback!
Yatese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I used Atkins for maintenance after getting most of the weight off with ip.
Worked well, but I used some phase 1 days to account for real cheat days still.
Otherwise I think ip, with some additional fat, is the best.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #7  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple sky View Post
Is it like this but with more carbs? Is it like Phase 3 on this diet? Will you still be in ketosis?
You can have more carbs with any of these plans, as long as you stay in ketosis (and Atkins is still ketogenic).

Induction is the strictest phase, and is designed to get you into ketosis (anyone coming from IP is probably already in ketosis).

Ongoing Weight Loss is 25-45 net carbs. Here is the link, but since this is not the Atkins board, PM me if you want more info.
http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-2.aspx
Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #8  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
I used Atkins for maintenance after getting most of the weight off with ip.
Worked well, but I used some phase 1 days to account for real cheat days still.
Otherwise I think ip, with some additional fat, is the best.
You know, maybe I should do a combo of Atkins and IP (which equates to IP with more calories and more fat). That would allow me to keep my protein high (and cut some of the soy), have more nutritional variety and fat, yet keep using the packets I really like until I am ready to go 100% Atkins.

I like that idea...thanks!

FYI....I think I will keep posting here because I love the supportive people, but I promise to keep my Atkins chatter off this particular sub forum.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #9  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

After 5 perfect months Sept 2010 to January 2011....I had lost 60 pounds on IP...tried Atkins for 2 weeks could not drop an ounce...gave up and went back to IP...lost the other 25 pounds.

I went up about 12 pounds this holiday season...tried Atkins to lose it and did not lose a pound...did IP for 4 days and dropped 5 of those 12. So, I did not have success....but I follow an Atkins lifestyle for maintenance....with cheat days and phase 1 days thrown in there.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 213/168/130

Height: 5'5

Last summer I did Atkins for 6 weeks. I did not drop one single ounce. Not ONE! Came over to IP and dropped 43 pounds in nothing flat.

1st - you should NOT be starving all the time. If you are, you MUST eat. Add an extra pack or 2. It's allowed and it will NOT screw up ketosis or the program.

If you feel like you need more food, or more substance, you might try adding more salad to your meals (I notice MOST on this forum rarely eat salad). It all depends on how much weight you need to lose. AND the more weight you need to lose the hungrier you tend to be, even 4 weeks in. The more weight you need to lose, the faster it seems to come off. The closer you get to goal, it tends to slow down. WHAT are using for your meals - are you using more drinks? They tend not to last as long as puddings made into shakes. Getting back to salads - it is part of the protocol that 'must be followed and is not optional." I promise, if you have a huge salad with your lunch and the veggies, plus a pack you will NOT be starving all the time. For purposes of timing this is what my day looks like:

B: Capp Drink, cup of coffee, water
S: 1 cup veggies
L: HUGE salad, 1 cup veggies (yep - they are 2 different things!)
S: Pudding shake
D: Grilled chicken 8OZ, 2 cups veggie, salad
S: Pudding or Jello or cereal

Are you following the protocol to the letter? Taking sups and getting enough water? Really take a look at what you're eating and when. Write it down - post it here in the Daily Thread and we can give it a look and see potential issues. Do you have medical issues like thyroid? Are you taking meds for thyroid, blood pressure, blood sugar? Do you work shift work? Sometimes that can mess things up a bit until you can get a routine down - and can make you hungrier, too!

Give it another look before you change over. I just feel horrible that you are hungry!

Last edited by Lakewood; 03-20-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Lakewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #11  
Started IP 1/25/12

S/C/G: 221/ticker/180

Height: 5'10"

I had to quickly switch off IP packets to alt packets ($$$) as I complete phase one. But since it was so unexpected there's a week before I'll get alternates that mirror IP in the mail. Soo I've been following a hybrid between IP & Atkins for the last week. Same veggies, water and roughly the same meal times & restrictions--I don't believe in bacon overload so still mostly lean meats of IP protocol sizes at lunch & dinner. I also let myself up the good fat intake a bit with 4 tbsp olive oil and occasional salmon & steak. I lost another 2.5 lbs this week and WI day is still 2 days away.

I do notice a big difference in the way my body is adjusting to slow release natural "real food" proteins vs the fast release packets. I basically feel like I'm in a modified phase 2/3 right now.
geminezmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #12  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminezmarie View Post
I do notice a big difference in the way my body is adjusting to slow release natural "real food" proteins vs the fast release packets. I basically feel like I'm in a modified phase 2/3 right now.
Hmmm...interesting. Slow release vs. fast release. I see these terms a lot. I also see it in relation to slow vs. fast carbs.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote