Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #1  

Default illness and recovery Q

I've recently had a sinus infection and bronchitis. I was sick as a dog for a week with fever, etc and now I'm on amoxicillan and finally feeling good enough to work out like I used to.

I've been doing interval cardio training all year, not so much distance running as our season up here for running outside is just beginning. Also, I took a good two weeks off of training to get well again.

So today was the first time in gosh, 6-8 weeks that I attempted a longer run. My goal was a simple 2 miles in twenty minutes.

Mind you, I run a 5K in 27 min. usually.

Holy crud, I had a hard time finishing at goal! I made it, yes, but with the nausea I feel at the end of a 5K competition!!

What is going on?

I'm thinking lower oxygen uptake from residual mucus in the lungs? Or, still in recovery stage of illness leaving me energy depleted? Or the 6-8 weeks not focusing on cardio has really gotten me out of shape?

Any thoughts from the medical professional peeps?
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

All of the above. You're not fully recovered, so your muscles have less oomph, and you do lose a bit of strength/stamina when you're out of the game for a few weeks. Just take it easy. In my experience it'll come back pretty quickly once you are recovered.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

I'm not an expert but I had a similar thing, I had some bad sinus problems and chest congeston. I'm sure it has to do with oxygen uptake and your body being very weak from fighting the infection off all week! Don't worry, I'm pretty sure this is normal and just keep at it, and sooner than later you will be right back where you started. Your body just needed time to cool off. Don't make it work too hard yet.
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #4  

OMG, this is too funny. I was running on the outside lane. Yeah, I was more tired than usual, but I was more tired because I didn't run 2 miles. I ran 2 laps more than 2 miles - so about 2.25 miles. Duh! I crack myself up.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #5  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

That's crazy I am currently experiencing the SAME thing - bronchitis/sinus infection WITH a relapse so now it's been happening on/off for like 3 weeks!

I thought I was over it and last Wed. I went for a long run. I woke up Thurs w/ such tightness in my chest I could hardly breath. The sinus infection had come back and trickled down to my chest leading to bronchitis. Wed. was the last time I worked out - yesterday my doc. put me on another round of zithromax but this time w/ a 5 day supply of prednisone which [I don't think I'll have the side effects b/c it's only 5 days] causes weight gain and "moon face". Therefore, no matter what, I feel like I have to work out somewhat tonight - I haven't in 5 days which is a really long stretch for me...but I'm so tired while feeling like this...ughhhhhhhh.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote