View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #66
pluckypear

S/C/G: 329/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskimothy View Post
I think that there are alot of people who will disagree with our experiences but thse are poeple who can shop once at big box stores cause they have cars and storage areas in their homes, or have big-a$$ freezers for those enormo-salmons on sale at Costco. They live in areas where there are a number of places they can shop and they have a car and go from store to store for the best buy or better yet, can go to a local farm (!) for fresh produce cause they have the time and money and location to do so. Kind of hard to do when you're frozen in for 6 months of the year -easy to do if you live in California or Texas. They don't realize that while it might cost alot later in heath care, I gotta eat today.
I have to rework my budget. I lost alot of weight by cutting down the amounts I ate in a serious way thru WW cause there if I add up my points, I was able to manage. I'm cooking way more fresh foods and eliminating processed foods but man my budget is tight tight tight. Might have to take another job just to eat better!
I totally agree!!!!! Not only am I spending more but am spending more time shopping. I do not have a car and I live in a big city. Even to get to farmer's markets is a major pain. I work full time and farmer's markets that are open during the week will be closed, even if I had the energy to take transit there and haul the food home. I will go on Saturday mornings but to be honest we have a short growing season anyway. I shop across the street at a major grocery store and pick up fruit and veg when and where I can throughout the week. If buying fresh and eating anywhere near the required servings of fruit and veg I cannot shop once or even only twice per week.
And I do eat lentils and dried beans and do not buy diet foods that some people alluded to as expensive. I buy fish which is expensive but healthy. The crap foods are the cheapest. To buy good quality whole grain organic bread can be as much as 7 dollars a loaf, good old wonderbread you can sometimes get for a dollar. sigh

"May you live every day of your life." - Jonathan Swift
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote