General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default A question of morals, is this morally wrong, or not so much?

So, a situation came up where someone I know bought some bathing suits online from a retail store. She bought a few different styes and sizes as she wasn't sure what would look nicest or fit. They ran roughly $25 a piece for the tankini's. So $50 suit.

She gets these items, picks out what she wants and actually goes to the store to return the ones that didn't work.

Once she gets to the store, they get returned with no problem, but then she notices that clerance stickers print out for them and they read $6.50 each. She asks the person returning "Are these what they are for now?" They reply, yes, since it was an online only item, we can only sell it in the store for that cost. So she asks "Can I buy these back then at the clearance price?" The person returns says "sure, they are just going back on the floor anyway at that price"

So, this person then says she wants to return the others that she had decided to keep and get those at the clearance price. She goes to return them, and comes across a manager that says it must get to the floor and be avail to everyone at the clearance price. So she stands around the clearance section and grabs them as soon as they get there. ( Remember, these were the ones she wanted to begin with )

So, now it has me thinking about two things. 1. Was this moral of the person? Esp the 2nd time around, since she then knew what she paid for orig, and what she could get it for since they are not sold in stores and only online. Note: They are being returned and resold for $6.50 each.

And 2, would it moral if I tried to get a swimsuit online and return it just to buy it back for $12 vs the orig $50. I could use a swimsuit, but I don't have an extra $50 right now for one. Would I get bad juju if I did this? They would resell them at $6.50 a piece I buy one and return it.

Just got into a this conversation with some girls from work about this, and it's having mixed feelings regarding it. Thought I would pose the question to you ladies on what you would do.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Well, some stores actually do something similar. They'll advertise that if you buy something at a price and it goes on sale 2 weeks later they will refund the difference. That kind of reminds me about what is happening here.

It probably depends on the store about what is allowed for returns.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
Well, some stores actually do something similar. They'll advertise that if you buy something at a price and it goes on sale 2 weeks later they will refund the difference. That kind of reminds me about what is happening here.

It probably depends on the store about what is allowed for returns.

This is a good point. The suits are online at the same cost that this person paid for orig. It is an online item only, thus once returned to the store it is put on clearance. The items itself are not on sale or clearance online.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #4  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

The manager/sales associate said it was fine. There is nothing wrong with that at all. If someone else would just be able to buy that exact item she returned for only $6.50, why wouldn't she just buy it back herself? I would have done the exact same thing.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #5  
threenorns

if she didn't want the suits to start, she shouldn't have bought them back even if they were cheap. she's not likely to wear them and someone else who *would* have worn them might have to do without now.

that part is unethical.

frankly, what she should have done was what any canadian tire will do: asked for a refund of the difference between what she paid yesterday and what they're on sale for today. most stores honour that.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #6  
threenorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
This is a good point. The suits are online at the same cost that this person paid for orig. It is an online item only, thus once returned to the store it is put on clearance. The items itself are not on sale or clearance online.
oh, heck i MISSED that part!!!!

definitely unethical.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

It's really a question of store policy. If the store/company accepts this, then it's not morally wrong, it's being a savvy consumer. The actual cost of the swimsuits is probably less, thus why they can put them on sale at that price.

Why is it on sale for $50 online? Probably because there are people that will buy the suits at $50 and never think twice about the cost.

It's part of the pricing part of marketing. The airlines and hotels are good at this -- they will sell the same seat (airline seat) for different prices. Some people will only pay $6.50 for that seat, others will happily pay $50.00.

It's up to you to decide what kind of consumer you are and if you are willing to go through the whole process of returning the item, waiting to get the item on the floor, fighting to get to the rack before anyone else does, then going home and waiting for the credit on your credit card.

For me, sometimes it's just not worth it. But, if you're struggling for cash, it might be.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #8  
threenorns

deliberately buying something online then returning it to get it back at a cheaper price?

the store should have allowed her to do that and it's just a matter of time before they close that little loophole.

actually, i'm surprised they allow returns on swimwear - no store i know will accept returns on intimates of any kind.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-14-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Some stores will not accept swimsuits or underwear to return. In some states it is even illegal I personally hope I never buy a swimsuit that someone has taken home , tried on sans underwear and returned it to the store. Grosses me out.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #10  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

It would be different if she went home, bought 5 different ones online for the sole purpose of returning them to get them cheaper. However, she did not do that. She was perfectly okay with paying the more expensive price originally, and only returned the ones the begin with that did not look right (completely understandable, not everything looks as nice on as it did in the picture).

Then, when finding out she could get the swim suit for cheaper, she took that opportunity. If it was a different store, you wouldn't blame someone for returning the item to the original store because they found it cheaper at another store. I think it would start to be an issue if she went and bought more online just to return them and re-buy them. But these are suits that she was originally okay with the price and bought because she actually wanted/needed them.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #11  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Actually, I think you can look at this two ways in regards to ethics.

1.First the store - how ethical is it to reduce a price on returned items - right then and there - and right in front of the customer? I mean, come on. What customer wouldn't get upset with that? Is it ethical to charge the $50 for the ones she decided to keep then?

2. Is it ethical of the woman to return the ones she wanted? Well, probably not, but she would be stupid not to use the loophole the store has created. She does run the risk of someone snatching it before her AND that it won't go "that second" back on the floor.

And for swimsuits - most places will accept returns if tags are still attached - including the little panty liner.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #12  
threenorns

not where i live - you try them on in the store and once you buy it, it's yours, pantiliner or not.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candeka View Post
It would be different if she went home, bought 5 different ones online for the sole purpose of returning them to get them cheaper. However, she did not do that. She was perfectly okay with paying the more expensive price originally, and only returned the ones the begin with that did not look right (completely understandable, not everything looks as nice on as it did in the picture).

Then, when finding out she could get the swim suit for cheaper, she took that opportunity. If it was a different store, you wouldn't blame someone for returning the item to the original store because they found it cheaper at another store. I think it would start to be an issue if she went and bought more online just to return them and re-buy them. But these are suits that she was originally okay with the price and bought because she actually wanted/needed them.
What about if I bought a swimsuit online and took it back knowing all of this? I'm torn myself, but comeon! a $50 suit for $12?? That is a huge savings I could certainly use right now. Yet I would buy them knowing about this loophole. If it wasn't such a big savings, I wouldn't even worry about it, but times are rough, and they are going to turn around and resell the suit for the clerance price, why not let me buy it for the sale price then?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
not where i live - you try them on in the store and once you buy it, it's yours, pantiliner or not.
Here, if the tags are on them, and pantyliner in place, they will return it. I would NEVER think trying on a suit without my underwear and then going to return it.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

$50 is a lot of money for so little cloth. The price itself sounds crooked all on its own...but that's just my opinion. I can get a pair of jeans for less than the cost of that suit.

I don't think it's ethical that they resell the item for less than half of what they originally sold it for, personally.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote