General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227.4/227.4/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Thrift stores/Goodwill clothing

Does anyone find their weight loss inspiration to be the awesome selection of clothing/jeans-most especially, in thrift stores/Goodwill stores. I'm an avid shopper for everything there-shopping for kids, hubby, household bargains...etc...
But have never really been able to get all the clothes I want cause the sizes are always too small. My theory is that smaller ppl tend to be more fashionable and rotate clothing more often than larger ppl-that's just my theory not sure if it's accurate...
But...OMG...such great stuff there-gowns, formal dresses...all out of my range right now....damn...
futuresize6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I found a nice embroidered cotton dress at the Good Will about a half size down from my current size. Hopefully it will work for me in another 7-10 pounds. I have found it frustrating searching through everything. I never have enough time.

My local thrift stores seem to have a good variety of sizes. They are all mixed up with everything else.

Last edited by dstalksalot; 03-14-2012 at 02:12 PM.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

It is true. There are way nicer stuff in the smaller sizes. When I was a 14, I couldn't really find any dresses/skirts and finding a good top was rare. My favorite brand of jeans was also a rare find in my size, yet all the other sizes were over flowing with this brand.

Now that I can fit into a 10/11, smaller shirts and slightly tighter dresses, I am finding all sorts of stuff. I was just talking to my husband about this the other day. I can't wait until the day I reach a size 7/8 because I always see the cutest stuff in that row
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #4  
threenorns

stuff in the smaller sizes is nicer no matter where you go - just look at the bra rack of any big store: the small sizes have pretty colours, nice fabric, trim, etc - the plus sizes are white, beige, or black and look like they were engineered by the manufacturers of those slings used haul marine wildlife around.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
stuff in the smaller sizes is nicer no matter where you go - just look at the bra rack of any big store: the small sizes have pretty colours, nice fabric, trim, etc - the plus sizes are white, beige, or black and look like they were engineered by the manufacturers of those slings used haul marine wildlife around.
This is only partially true. If you have big cups - you still only get (mostly) white, beige and black no matter the band size AND you have to special order which is ridiculous because I bet you close to 50% of people stuffing themselves in DDs should be ordering a larger size.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I feel like I am hitting the jackpot now. I just scored 4 pairs of shorts and a pair of summer weight pants at Goodwill the other day. At the local consignment shop, I just (today) got about 10 summer/spring dresses for a song. I think most of my spring/summer wardrobe will be these dresses. Is that weird?

My size is 10. Last year when I was looking for 14s and 16s I found TWO skorts and one pair of jeans that weren't super cheap looking or super worn out and I looked several times.

This time on my first visit to each place - jackpot - recent styles and good quality.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Luckily, I have been hitting the jackpot lately at the thrift stores. I buy things a size too small then I have clothes to look forward to. Lately, have been getting dresses, something I haven't gotten for a long time. I have 2 cute ones for the summer already. I got some great pants for work. I am glad I am able to fit into thrift store clothes. they have been having pretty decent things in my size or the one below so I haven't had to wear my clothes too baggy. I donate my old clothes as soon as they start to look too big.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #8  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

Some of my favorite pieces of clothing when I was bigger and now (I'm at a size 14) have actually come from Goodwill. It's the only place I'll shop for the most part while losing weight because they're clothes are cheap.
I do find that trying to find pants is hard for me because their either way too big or way too small, but more often than not, I can find great tops and skirts!
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I don't know about you ladies, but when I happened to find cute, fashionable, plus size clothes I held onto them for dear life. I assume that because it's SO HARD to find decent plus size clothes that individuals who wear those clothes hold onto them and probably wear them until they can't be donated.

Smaller clothes are easy to find and cute and fashionable ones are everywhere. It's much easier for an individual wearing straight sizes to give up something than it is for the person wearing plus sizes.

Someone wearing plus sizes might have to order online, go to a speciality shop, etc., while someone wearing straight sizes just has to go to any store around them.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #10  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

berryblondeboys, you DID score! that is great.

I love going to Goodwill when I am at a aize that is FUN to shop! It's a bit of a hike for me, it's almost 50 miles from me so I plan and make it a day's event. I also bring a list of specific things I want..'long sleeved white dress shirt, black tanks, tees for work' because I can forget what I came for

I just pulled a pair of black Express pants from my closet that I barely remember buying last year, they were too tight but I loved them and wanted them for inspiration. THEY FIT now and they look good

If I can get down a little more I want to plan another day's trip there!

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-15-2012 at 07:17 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #11  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

I love thrift stores. I find the coolest stuff there. I have clothes lined up from thrift stores waiting for me to be able to fit in and wear. Its cheap and a fun way to measure myself. When i grab a pair of pants i know i cant fit into, try a week later and still cant, then try again in 2 weeks, then THEY FIT. Its a victory dance. Because you always remember you couldnt fit into them x days ago. Its a visual stimulus.
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #12  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

You'll get there! And yes I live out of second hand shops. I always seem to find that the shoes are all tiny but nearly all of my female friends have the same shoe size so I don't know where all these small footed women are haha

I find trousers are hard too, either too big or way too small.. I'll get there too
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #13  
...and I need to dance!

S/C/G: 176.6/144.4/140

Height: 5'3"

I was just thinking about this today! I'm looking forward to the next clothing swap that some local ladies do every few months. The last few times I haven't been able to take anything decent home because nothing fit! I'm pretty sure some stuff will fit next time!
SisterFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #14  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i went and found some stuff in my size, but i also used it to buy some 'goal' type stuff in the sizes i want to be because it was much cheaper than buying it at a retail store. i got this gorgeous dress, it's a size 20, buttons all down the front, high collar... but slits up both sides and a really pretty criss-cross open pattern on the back. lovely green and blue water color type pattern. i probably won't be able to wear that until i'm in size 16 jeans because it's so tight around the bust. i also got decreasing jeans in size 20, 18 and 16 that i'm working my way into.

take your old stuff in, drop it off, and grab new stuff. when the new stuff doesn't fit anymore, take it back and get more new stuff. i love those kinds of stores.

Last edited by konfyoozed; 03-15-2012 at 03:16 PM.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #15  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I LOVE vintage clothes so yep, I hear you. Unfortunately, for me I have large breasts and a small back (I wear a 28J), which makes fit extremely hard even in the smaller sizes so I typically buy tops/dress from stores that custom make sizes with more room in the bust.

BUT what IS awesome is that pants are so much easier to find! Jeans can still be an issue because I have a big butt and I swear they only sell low-rise jeans here. but dress slacks are pretty easy to find and I've had a lot of success just buying used ones, without even trying them on. Something that was unthinkable before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
This is only partially true. If you have big cups - you still only get (mostly) white, beige and black no matter the band size AND you have to special order which is ridiculous because I bet you close to 50% of people stuffing themselves in DDs should be ordering a larger size.
Yeah, or you get into the very end of bands that they make and you can't find a good beige bra to save your life, ugh!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote