South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 03:38 PM   #1  

Default An introduction and plea for information

Hello--

I am brand new to the site, and after browsing around, decided that joining looked great... A quick intro: I'm 25, live in DC working at a think tank (not exactly a hotbed of physical activity, unless you count wandering to the library every now and again to pick up back-issues of the American Economic Review), and (obviously) need to lose weight. I'm aiming for 80 lbs. I like to golf (little opportunity, sadly), read, watch snarky British tv programs and tend to be a bit sarcastic.

I just ordered the South Beach Diet (I just turned 25, and writing that number down, as well as certain other less-than-desirable numbers (read: weight), made me realize it was time to take some action.

I read various articles, and I like the idea of structure--I can justify a lot of things if I am allowed too much leeway to cheat. I have a few concerns, though...

One: Caffeine. I am a diet soda addict... I probably drink at least three cans a day (on average--depending on what I am going it could be more.) I don't know if I can get rid of all diet soda--the idea scares me. I know water is healthier, and I am going to up my intake, but I don't think I can get rid of all soda.

Two: Booze. I'm young and single in a city and, well, I like to drink every now and again. I don't think the two weeks will be a problem, but am I supposed to swear off all alcohol forever? Brr... Sometimes a girl needs a vodka tonic or a mimosa or what-have-you...

Those are the big two, though I have a few other questions. Is there anything about smoking (yes, I know I should quit, but I can't cut everything pleasurable-but-horrible-for-me out of my life at one time because while I may be healthy, I'll also be insane)? It doesn't affect the glycemic index or metabolism or anything all that much does it (physiology is not my strong suit)?

Oh, also, vegetables. I really don't like vegetables. Not "I prefer not to eat them" but "the taste of cooked broccoli triggers my gag reflex." From what I've seen on the menus, I think I should be okay, but how vegetable-dependent is this diet? I might try and force myself to try a few more, but I know my limitations and they don't extend to green beans.

Despite all of my complaining, I am really motivated to start. I looked over the plan, and it seems pretty doable. I've also found an exercise buddy to keep me motivated to go to the gym.

This looks like a great forum, and I hope to learn a lot more by hanging around. I apologize for the length of the post but I'm both chatty and curious... Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks, and nice to "meet" you all!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:10 PM   #2  

Hi Ab! And for you this program should be Fab! First of all to address your questions. Drinks- Red wine is allowed after Phase I. When you get the book it will give you this info so for now you'll have to be a tea totaler. Diet Soda- Could you manage to make the switch to Caffeine Free? If not really try and limit the number. I'm a CF Diet Pepsi hound and use to go through 2 20 oz. bottles a day - now 1/2 or less is it. I think the fact that we drink so much water combined with the sweetness of the soda, you'll see your desire change--
Structure wise- if you work with the program- the program will work for you! Don't get caught up in - 1. Weighing more than once a week and 2. Trying to make a substitute for Choco. fudge foo foo pie! You'll see some trying to still eat the old way using subs. for the goodies. As far as veggies go--play with some recipies-get creative with spices and try new things- you just might hit on some you like . The boards are full of really tried and true suggestions! It's a big plus that you have a buddy lined up for exercise. When the book comes read and reread it! There's a lot to learn. Given your intelligence you should do fine. Hope this has helped get you started! Good luck and welcome to the beach!
Old 08-05-2003, 07:33 PM   #3  

Hi Ab and Welcome. Hope you will find the support you are looking for. I am on Phase 1 of SBD and have been for 9 days. The people on this site have been incredibly informative and supportive. I was reading your list of potential problems, and I think with a little tweaking, SBD is totally doable for you. Maybe you could eat salads as the primary intake of your vegetables. I am a caffeine addict as well, but have been able to limit my intake. I still drink an iced coffee (no sugar or milk) in the morning, and a diet pepsi in the afternoon. I have dramatically increased my water intake and I have still been able to lose weight. I have not drank any alcohol on Phase 1, but have been sugar free for two years and have avoided alcohol as much as possible. I do occasionally drink white wine or vodka and cranberry, and again have had no adverse effects on my weight. Everything in moderation. Hope this helps and keep us informed of your progress on the plan. It is a great one!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:17 PM   #4  

Abfab:

Welcome to the Beach!!! I was a major caffeine junkie too but coffee not soda ... I started by using 1/2 decaf and 1/2 "real" coffee about a month ago and now I'm straight decaf ... no caffeine for about 3 weeks (and amazingly enough no headaches) ... also went out a few weeks ago and though I'm not a drinker had a mud slide and two lava flows ... no weight gain though I won't make it a habit.

Don't forget we can use cheese in phase I ... sometimes any veggie will taste acceptable smothered in cheese!!!

Best of luck,

Kathy
Old 08-05-2003, 10:15 PM   #5  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

WELCOME ABFAB!!! I LOVE that show!!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 07:22 AM   #6  
Mous

WELCOME

Lady
Old 08-06-2003, 08:13 AM   #7  
CELULITE BABE BLUES

Angry Welcome ABFAB to the Beach!

I am a caffeine(3cups coffee in am) person myself! No time to drnk diet sodas w/120oz of lemon/lime water I drink a day,,I also hv the nasty habit of smoking also,,,I choose not to end 2bad vices at once,it just aint happening ,that just sets urself up for failure..Soon as I reach my goal weight on SBD,its bk to the nicotine patches for me,,,maybe we can try it together?..................LOL.............GOFISHI N
Old 08-06-2003, 08:19 AM   #8  
Imagine...

I'm with ya on the smoking thing. Once we get this food thing under our belt... so to speak, maybe we can all quit together!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:57 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Ab!
There must be a COUPLE of types of veg that you can gag down. Just stick to those... it's better than nothing! I'm not big on vegetables, either. Or fruit for that matter. I'm a chips and chocolate girl. Well, I USED to be!
I've found "coleslaw in a bag" in the produce section. It's got 3 types of cabbage in it, and I just add some mayo. I eat it a couple of times a day as one of my veg.
And like Kathy said, you CAN disguise vegetables!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:22 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

And you can stir-fry that cabbage too! Remember that olive oil is a good oil. I love fried cabbage!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:59 AM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh my gosh! I never thought of that, Ruth... thank you!!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:10 PM   #12  

Hi Everyone,
I was an Atkins follower but I switshed to the SBD this past week. I admit I have had many failures over the years with all of my diet plans. So in other words I am starting week I over. My downfall- I ate chocolate and I have been binging sweets for 2 days. I have 100 lbs to lose and I know I must get back on the horse tomorrow. Are any of you former Atkins dieters ? Do you see this SBD plan as a more successful way? What does caffeine do exactly to hinder weight loss? I don' see the connection. Your help and guidance would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:55 PM   #13  

Maybe you need to learn how to prepare veggies so you will like them. You don't have to cook them and when you do, don't overcook. Steam them in broth. With all the veggies available, I can't believe you can't find any you like. It's a matter of health. By the way - smoking does alter the metabolism and when you quit you must be vigilant - average gain is 10 pounds.
Closed Thread