Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #1  

Default Delicious DIY microwave popcorn (not the brown bag)

So, I had been trying to find a good organic microwave popcorn that comes in small serving sizes. No luck. I investigated the much-touted homemade microwave popcorn idea in the brown bag, but I read that those bags have lots of chemicals in them, and it isn't healthy to use them to microwave popcorn in.

Then, I came across this idea.

It works GREAT! Yesterday, I bought a bag of Arrowhead Mills organic popcorn kernels and tried it. The great thing is that I know exactly how many calories I'm popping (eliminating the ever-present confusion w/ calorie counts on those bags of microwave popcorn). I measure two tablespoons of kernels (85 calories), 1/2 tsp oil (20 calories--I just used olive oil rather than butter; I'll try butter next time), and some salt. I even sprinkled a tsp of parmesan cheese (about 8 calories) on the finished product. YUM! A big bowl of parmesan popcorn for less than 115 calories!

That blog also has a recipe for homemade kettle corn (corn popped w/ brown sugar added to the oil or butter). I'm trying that next.

Last edited by lin43; 02-27-2012 at 11:25 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #2  
Chuggin' along...

What type of container do you cook it in? Did you mean to post a link?

ETA: Oh, it looks like you just went back and posted the link. Thanks! Great idea!

I have converted to a lot of whole foods over the past few years and microwave popcorn is one of the things "next on my list" to stop buying the processed version of.

Last edited by Megan1982; 02-27-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

what type of container do you use? I'd probably try one of those ziplock plastic containers and cut holes in the lid, would that work?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

OK, so it then using plastic? Like that is any better a paper bag (though probably less messy, but any healthier? Even if you use a tempered glass bowl you need a vented lid and all lids will be plastic, right?

I keep making it in a pan on the stove. Takes time, but no worries about plastic and chemicals.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I worry about plastics and microwave use, as well.

I make mine on the stove as like berryblondeboys. It doesn't take any longer than the microwave if you use a cast iron skillet (with lid, of course.) Plus, you don't need to use fat if you use cast iron. Although, I do...
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #6  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I used to use the paper bag, but I GRADUATED from that method last year & bought me one of these! It is for the microwave & it is a hard plastic type container. For $15 I felt I was so worth it & I LOVE IT, I bought it at one of those stores that sell everything for kitchens. But I am sure they sell everywhere online too. It works great, I just add 1/3 cup of popcorn & it fills that sucker up in 4 minutes, then I just take the cover off & munch away right in the warm bowl which warms my hands... Love this I eat it straight up as I have never been a fan of butter or salt. Yum!

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images...355-255788.jpg

Also, you get maybe 6 of these liners included with the popper. I picked several spares up too being you go thru them quite quickly if you eat a lot of popcorn, they were like $2 per package.
http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2...sion=75&text=Y
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #7  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

How about a glass one with a silicone lid, made in America, even?

http://www.vermontgift.com/microwave_popcorn_poppers
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #8  
threenorns

why all the fuss about fancy gadgets?

i just made a bowl now: big glass mixing bowl with a plate for a lid. worked a treat.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

That's what I was just going to say. Glass bowl and plate for lid.

Esp if it is like pyrex bowl with spout & handle, plate on it will be vented since the spouty part is "open" even if plate covering. Tada. Vent!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-11-2012 at 07:25 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #10  
threenorns

not even necessary to go that far: the plate doesn't seal down. when the pressure gets too high, the plate pops up.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #11  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Ah, you chicks are too creative. The best I can come up with is using a sauce pan and a ladle for tea water because my teapot broke.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #12  
threenorns

riddy - is there another way to boil tea water?

i don't like tea made with the water from the kettle - it always has a scum on top. it doesn't when i boil the water in the pot. i've scoured that kettle, descaled, you name it, but it always has that scum.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #13  

The popcorn never actually touches the vented plastic lid (not for the 2 tbsp amount I use w/ the size bowl I use), so I don't worry about the plastic.

I like the cast iron idea, too, though. How much of a learning curve is there when you cook it on the stove?

Last edited by lin43; 03-11-2012 at 08:48 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote