Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 03-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #1  

Angry Magic Pill??

As a nurse, someone asked me if I thought an advertisement on tv for a weight loss supplement worked? My answer was "YES it works if you follow the directions." I went on to explain my answer in that on the bottle of every weight loss supplement out there it says "when combined with a sensible diet and exercise program." There is the part of what they are advertising that works. A SENSIBLE DIET AND EXERCISE program is the only way to lose weight. They have us all duped. It amazes me that these companies can sell herbal supplements that can raise your heart rate, give you a stroke or heart attack and put you in a persistent vegetative state for the rest of your life without FDA regulation, but a dog treat or food has to be approved by them. Maybe we should all just become dogs!! We could blame our owners for all the snacks we get and for the lack of exercise. What a life, a dog's life!! Just kidding, but seriously, as a nurse this is upsetting. Any of these drugs that raise your metabolism, in general raise your heart rate. You may or may not be able to handle this depending on your condition. Many of us do not know we have high blood pressure. If you want to take a supplement, take a multivitamin, follow a sensible weight loss plan that includes all food groups and increase your exercise. Have a great life. Happy Weight Loss Journey.
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemylife
As a nurse, someone asked me if I thought an advertisement on tv for a weight loss supplement worked? My answer was "YES it works if you follow the directions." I went on to explain my answer in that on the bottle of every weight loss supplement out there it says "when combined with a sensible diet and exercise program." There is the part of what they are advertising that works. A SENSIBLE DIET AND EXERCISE program is the only way to lose weight. They have us all duped. It amazes me that these companies can sell herbal supplements that can raise your heart rate, give you a stroke or heart attack and put you in a persistent vegetative state for the rest of your life without FDA regulation, but a dog treat or food has to be approved by them. Maybe we should all just become dogs!! We could blame our owners for all the snacks we get and for the lack of exercise. What a life, a dog's life!! Just kidding, but seriously, as a nurse this is upsetting. Any of these drugs that raise your metabolism, in general raise your heart rate. You may or may not be able to handle this depending on your condition. Many of us do not know we have high blood pressure. If you want to take a supplement, take a multivitamin, follow a sensible weight loss plan that includes all food groups and increase your exercise. Have a great life. Happy Weight Loss Journey.
If we had a Post of the Day, this would definitely be it.

This sentence rings especially true:

Quote:
Many of us do not know we have high blood pressure.
I've just recently found out that I'm entering the wonderful world of perimenopause and have to start watching my blood pressure. I'm over 40, and heart disease is the leading killer of women my age. These OTC diet pills, which are touted as 'all natural' (implying 'safe') are NOT safe for those with HBP.

Even if you're not yet 40, it's a good idea to get into the habit of taking your blood pressure on a regular basis - rather than waiting for your annual physical. Most pharmacies and drugstores (including grocery stores with in-store pharmacies) have free, easy to use blood pressure monitors available for customers' use. It has become a habit for me to take my blood pressure whenever I go shopping - I just sit down, stick my arm in the sleeve, push the button and wait - takes less than a minute.

Ladies and gentlemen - I KNOW we all want to lose weight and maintain our losses - but doing it HEALTHFULLY must be paramount. As Lovemylife has so eloquently said - just because these oft-touted pills are 'natural' does NOT mean they are safe, certainly they are not safe for everyone. It's not just LOOKING good - it's FEELING good and being healthy - and setting a great example for others to follow
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #3  
ugggg.....

Lovemylife--I have tried some "magic pills" in my lifetime and my husband always points out that they work with a "sensible diet and excercise program"

MrsJim--I try to give blood (I'm O+) at least 2x a year if my iron count is high enough. They also check blood pressure. The thing I hate about having my blood pressure taken is just because I am over 200 lbs they assume I have high blood pressure. I take after my Dad who has low blood pressure. My "normal" blood pressure is 100 over 60. I did have some trouble with it when it went up to 145 over 85 which the doctors didn't seem to bothered by since it is in the "normal" for most people range. Hubby pointed out maybe I should cut back on the diet pills and caffiene and it went back down.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #4  
Meg

You all make such good sense - thank you!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #5  

i have to second one of the above posters when they mentioned we often don't know we have high blood pressure. I am 21.5 years old and not "that" overwieght (150s, and i am 5'4") but due to a medication i was taking, i had seriously high blood pressure for someone in their 20s, like 190/100
eadavenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemylife
on the bottle of every weight loss supplement out there it says "when combined with a sensible diet and exercise program." There is the part of what they are advertising that works. A SENSIBLE DIET AND EXERCISE program is the only way to lose weight. They have us all duped.
Exactly! I crack up when I hear/see those ads! DUH... yah... a sensible diet and exercise program and you don't NEED their garbage.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #7  

If I could play devil's advocate for a minute here...I do not think all supplements are harmful. If you use them as directed they can be helpful. (And most will tell you up front that you should consult your physician before taking them if you have health issues). I know of a lot of people who have reaped the benefits of supplements (for example, blood sugar formula for diabetics). Though I would never replace doctor-prescribed medication with supplements, I would not have a problem supplement-ing my prescription with something perhaps a bit more natural. That being said, I agree that there is no magic pill that is a cure-all for everyone's health problems and that if we would all eat healthier and exercise perhaps we would not need to supplement our diets with pills.

Just wanted to provide a different perspective on this topic.
SuzeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #8  

We were not talking about medicine for health problems, though.... the discussion is about "magic pills" for weight loss. Big difference IMO.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:38 PM   #9  

Default I actually found a magic pill

The prescription drug Topamax, which my neurologist gave me in order to reduce the frequency and intensity of my migraine headaches. She told me that weight loss was a side effect since the drug raises your metabolism. In my case, it also killed my appetite. I lost 40 pounds with almost no effort at a steady rate of 2 lbs. per week.

I had to stop taking it though. It gave me a really bad case of "brain fog" - couldn't get up in the morning, couldn't concentrate on anything. Also caused depression, so I had to take it in combination with an antidepressant.

Why did I finally decide to stop taking it? My purse got stolen and I didn't have access to my money in the bank for 3 days. The prescription had just run out. I suddenly realized that I could THINK again. Never went back on it after that. I slowly gained the weight back over time and now have 90 lbs. to lose... again. [sigh]
PretzelLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1216
I did have some trouble with it when it went up to 145 over 85 which the doctors didn't seem to bothered by since it is in the "normal" for most people range.
Just to clarify... "normal" blood pressure is considered to be in the range of 120 over 80 or lower (or some doctors still say 130 over 80). But 145 over 85 is not normal... it is stage one high blood pressure.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #11  
labelle16352

S/C/G: 205/148/130

Magic pill- Ionamin. PROBLEM over $100.00 a month if you have BC/BS who does not cover it!! 2 lbs a week without thinking. PROBLEM can only take for 3 months at a time over the course of 1 year.
labelle16352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:31 PM   #12  
prepare for the BEST time

Ionamin is resin based Phentermine....slower release longer lasting and less side effects..... 30 mg. of Ionamin capsule is equal to 37.5 Adipex tablet. it's covered by my prescription insurance
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:22 AM   #13  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

Ya know I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I think any suppliment would fail if a person insisted on eating all the wrong things and not moving. What I would look for would be something that would assist me in my appetite control and energy levels. What pill is gonna force you to put the HO HO down? You will always have to make better choices and move more, I think some of these pills could help you along.
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel67
True. But what's wrong with taking a good appetite supressant to complement my "sensible diet and exercise" program? Can any one suggest one?
Since this was in response to my post I will express my opinion... what's wrong with it IMO is that most of them are basically "speed."
Old 06-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Side effects of appetite suppressents: can increase chances for stroke, heart attack, etc, as the initial poster said.

Plus, while they may help you lose weight while you use them, most people seem to regain when they stop shelling out the bucks for them. How helpful is that?

So, you're shelling out hard earned $$ for something that risks your life and health while you take it and most likely will gain the weight back when you stop? That just doesn't make good sense.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote