Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default "Walk" to somewhere challenge

Hi Ladies,

I am starting a "walk" to somewhere thread. Once we know who is participating, I will have Jane move it up to the Sticky area.

Basically, we will chart a journey from where we live to some equi-distant destination for all participants.

For every minute of exercise, we will log a mile "walked." Any kind of exercise counts.

Let me know if you want to play by replying to this message.

Lynn
Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

http://www.idita-walk.com/idw/Index.asp

It's still on -- Iditawalk.

A.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #3  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I'm in again Lynn! I really need this, the last exercise I did was when we did this last time with you and Isabella.

P.S. Astrophi, thanks for the suggestion but we aren't committed to just 30 minutes of walking a day. We do any kind of exercises and as long or short as we have the time. We worked out a formula last time that worked great and it was fun doing a little history about the places we visited.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-07-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
http://www.idita-walk.com/idw/Index.asp

It's still on -- Iditawalk.

A.
Hi Astrophe,

My DD & SIL went up to Anchorage to see the beginning of the Iditarod. Next, they are off to Fairbanks to see the Aurora Borealis.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Lynn
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #5  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I'm in.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #6  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hi Lynn

I'd like to join. I have the same question as Zoe though ~ are you planning some way that we neophytes might be able to join in without always lagging far behind everybody else? I would never be able to keep up with some of you. Especially when I get out of work late ~ poof ~ there goes my chance to get in one of my walks ~ no matter how badly I want to do it, there are only so many hours in a day.

The formula that you came up with: NOTE: in our last thread, we used a formula of 1 minute = 1 mile. So, if you exercised for 30 minutes, you earned 30 miles. That would help me I think. I could actually get somewhere ~ LOL.

I was trying to do actual miles walked, and it seemed hopeless, would have taken me hundreds of years to get anywhere.

Would the stretches I do for physical therapy count? So many minutes of stretching = a mile?

ETA: I could rack up some minutes just by the extra steps I take looking for my glasses after I lay them down somewhere ~ LOL

I'm kind of excited about this, and the part you said about what you did before: posting a mini history and pictures of the spot we stopped in for the night. Not only did it inspire me to exercise but I learned some history about the area I traveled through. sounds like a fun thing to do.

Last edited by glynne; 03-08-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

I'm in - sounds like fun!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #8  
Bobbi

Glynne...yes, you can add up any exercises you do. Last time around I wore a step counter and included my steps = miles. I'll have to go back and look to see how I came up with the right combination.

Quote:
Would the stretches I do for physical therapy count? So many minutes of stretching = a mile?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #9  

Can anyone join in?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #10  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

That would be cool Bobbi ~ I wore a pedometer a few times and was surprised at how many steps I actually took.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleka View Post
Can anyone join in?
ABSOLUTELY!!! The more the merrier!

Lynn
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Hi Lynn

I'd like to join. I have the same question as Zoe though ~ are you planning some way that we neophytes might be able to join in without always lagging far behind everybody else? I would never be able to keep up with some of you. Especially when I get out of work late ~ poof ~ there goes my chance to get in one of my walks ~ no matter how badly I want to do it, there are only so many hours in a day.

The formula that you came up with: NOTE: in our last thread, we used a formula of 1 minute = 1 mile. So, if you exercised for 30 minutes, you earned 30 miles. That would help me I think. I could actually get somewhere ~ LOL.

I was trying to do actual miles walked, and it seemed hopeless, would have taken me hundreds of years to get anywhere.

ETA: I could rack up some minutes just by the extra steps I take looking for my glasses after I lay them down somewhere ~ LOL

I'm kind of excited about this, and the part you said about what you did before: posting a mini history and pictures of the spot we stopped in for the night. Not only did it inspire me to exercise but I learned some history about the area I traveled through. sounds like a fun thing to do.
Hi Gayle,

You can count your miles however you want. The purpose is to increase our exercise. Whatever works is fine.

Lynn
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #13  
Bobbi

Lynn...do you remember how far back that thread was? (I looked and can't find it) I can't remember what combination I came up with steps equal miles.

I'm back to edit this, I googled steps = 1 mile.
Quote:

As others have said, you have to figure out how long your stride is. An easy way to do this is to stretch a tape measure out, about 15 feet. Now stand with your toes at 0, starting with your right foot, take 10 normal steps and write down how far you went. Go back to 0 and starting with your left foot, take 10 normal steps and write down how far you went. Do this 10 times (start with right foot 5 times, start with left foot 5 times.) Now add up how far you went, divide by 10 to get an average (for 10 steps) and divide by 10 again to get an average for a single step (1 stride). Now divide 5280 feet by your average stride, and that will be how many steps equal a mile for you.

Many pedometers will allow you to program your stride into them, and will figure out the distance for you. If not, its easy enough to do it for yourself. Just multiply your number of steps by your average stride.its true, like the ppl above said, ur stride counts, but most people say that walking about 2700 steps is equal to one mile.
* A second opinion from someone saying: it is about 2000 steps per mile, but thats just average, it may be different for you

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-08-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #14  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

When are we starting?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #15  

When - how about we start tomorrow?

Where - PA, Newfoundland, TX, MN, OH, FL

OK, someone who is good at geography, where is an equi-distant place to meet?

Lynn
Closed Thread