Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #1  

Default Caffeine?

Can anyone tell me why we can't take caffeine? I work at 6:30am and going w/o coffee is just killing me! I don't need much, only about 4 oz will do but cold turkey is just not possible for me some mornings!
lifter60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 5"

I posted this yesterday to your question in the other thread...

This was posted by Camaswa back in December in another thread.

Quote:
look what I found on that link someone posted:
Elevated Cortisol Levels
Caffeine tells the body to release the stress hormone cortisol, which tells your metabolism to slow down and start storing fat, rather than using it.

Increased Adrenaline
Caffeine causes a release of adrenaline, which prepares the body for increased activity. If you regularly consume caffeine, your metabolic balance will be thrown off and you will feel hungry at times when you really are not, disrupting your metabolism's ability to process what you eat.

Increased Insomnia
Caffeine disrupts the normal sleep cycle, causing insomnia which leads to the slowing of the metabolism and storing of fat.

Increased Appetite
Caffeine stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, causing it to constrict blood vessels and trick the body into thinking it's blood sugar is low. This translates to feelings of hunger as the metabolism doesn't understand that is has enough nutrients already.

Slower Insulin Response
Caffeine impairs the body's insulin response, or ability to correctly process sugars. This slows the metabolism even when taken in small amounts.
JenB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #3  

Wow! I had no idea! Thanks so much!
lifter60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #4  

You may want to ask your centers. Some consultants admit that doing 6-8 oz on the morning is okay...if you drink extra water (caffiene is a diuretic). I do have about 8oz of coffee most morning with my hot chocolate HNS. But if I drink any more than that (i.e. if my soda has caffiene) I can start to notice a difference in my loss and hunger.
nwcgina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/173/130

Height: 5'2

I never thought I would be able to quit soda let alone all caffeine. I am tired, but happy. Now when I have o travel - that caffeine is coming right back.
MrsKatydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #6  

Before I started MRC, I drank nothing but diet dr peppers. When I started , I switched to Winn Dixie brand diet dr chex - still has caffiene, but no sodium. I limit myself to 2 per day. I do try to get in 100 oz of water each day. I've lost 47 lbs so far, so I guess the caffiene hasn't hurt me that much.
kp1971us is offline   Reply With Quote