Old 03-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/206/150

Height: 5'6

Default Can you please help me?

Hi everyone,
I am new here and I need your help.
I started using 3FC 3 week ago but I wasn't sure which plan to use. After reading many posts I decided to go for calorie counting. However I have no idea how to start. How I find out how many calories to consume? Is there any tool here I can use?
Please help me, I need to start this...
Anastasia77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Look up "daily caloric requirements" and you'll find a bunch of online tools. Plug in your stats and they'll give you an approximate number of calories to eat if you want to maintain. Subtract 500 from that number to get the number of calories you need to eat to lose one pound per week. (Some calculators will also give you this number.)

Here's a good one: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Also, the Myfitnesspal website has an exhaustive list of foods with their calorie contents. You can look up an individual food. Within the website, go to the "food" tab, then search for the food you want.

HTH Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 03-05-2012 at 07:11 AM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 154/148/135

Height: 5' 4"

My Fitness Pal website has a food diary. You just put in the foods you want and most of the time it is in the data base. It is a really handy tool. It keeps the information and totals it for you. You can see the daily and weekly progress. Try it!
kcoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #4  

Thank you both for your info
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

If you have a smart phone you can use the phone app for MFP or Lose It to track.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #6  

I don't have a smartphone buy I am planning to get one.
Thanx for the info.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #7  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

there are so many of them. but my favorite is loseit.com or you can get it as an app to!
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I know having a smartphone is a big expense, but I think it's worth it when you're trying to watch your food intake. I don't think I could have lost the weight without mine. I didn't use an app to track any of my food, but having the internet in my pocket was a very valuable tool that helped me stay on track when I was out and about.

I don't have the luxury of always being able to prepare my meals, so being able to look up information on the fly is very helpful.

My brother and my father use loseit They often have to eat when they're working so it's been great for them to look up calories on their phones (they both have androids, but I assume loseit is on the iPhone too)
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #9  

Thanx for your help and info.
Expense is one of the reasons I haven't get one yet. Hopefully by next month I will manage to get one.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #10  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia77 View Post
Thanx for your help and info.
Expense is one of the reasons I haven't get one yet. Hopefully by next month I will manage to get one.
I have an app on my phone but forget to use it. I've had a smartphone for a year and just put an app on it. My weight loss so far was lost using a note pad and piece of paper. It doesn't matter what you use to keep track of calories as long as you do it. Even with apps on my phone, I still pre-plan what I will eat if I have to eat out before leaving home. I even have other cool gadgets I've just started using but they aren't speeding up my progress, they are just cool tools that can be convenient. Weight loss via calorie counting can be done for free, so no worries.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #11  
Leveling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
I have an app on my phone but forget to use it. I've had a smartphone for a year and just put an app on it. My weight loss so far was lost using a note pad and piece of paper. It doesn't matter what you use to keep track of calories as long as you do it. Even with apps on my phone, I still pre-plan what I will eat if I have to eat out before leaving home. I even have other cool gadgets I've just started using but they aren't speeding up my progress, they are just cool tools that can be convenient. Weight loss via calorie counting can be done for free, so no worries.
Oh yeah it totally can, the problem comes when you don't have the opportunity to plan ahead. I'd much rather look things up on my laptop than on my smartphone, but if I'm out and about I need to look up something quickly it is a very valuable tool.

I don't use apps either, just the internet to find calorie counts. Tracking calories in an app makes me neurotic for some reason. I only do it once every few weeks or so to get an idea of my macros.

My father and my brother are prime examples of people who would really need the phone app. They do NOT have a say in what is served to them at work and they can't really make food ahead of time. It's eat what's there or don't eat. With the apps on their phones they can look up calorie counts and stay within their pans.

That said, not having a smartphone shouldn't be an excuse to go off track completely. The smartphone is a tool that assists in weight loss, not the primary reason for it.

Last edited by sontaikle; 03-07-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #12  

Today I did a small research on the phone market and the different packages they offer. I have never before used/had a cell phone with internet. Now if I want to make a package for my needs plus a smartphone plus internet on it, that means I will overcome my regular amount of money I spend on the phone bill for about 15-20 pounds extra. Of course it is not a huge amount of money but if you barely made it by the end of the month you can consider it as huge. As I see it now, I will probably stick to my pen and piece of paper.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #13  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

check out loseit.com

and if you have a msart phone lookup the app Loseit!
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #14  

Can anyone tell me how I can see the day of my substription.
I want to add a ticker but I don't remember when I join the site.

@jessica. Thanks, I will give it a look.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #15  
Leveling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia77 View Post
Can anyone tell me how I can see the day of my substription.
I want to add a ticker but I don't remember when I join the site.

@jessica. Thanks, I will give it a look.
I checked your profile. It says you joined on February 20