Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default March Running - Bring on the Madness!

Here it is our March Running Thread!

Bring it! New, old, fast, slow, short distance, long - we don't care, if you run you're a runner and we want to hear about it!

Share your running goals, triumphs and hurdles here all month long.

I'm in the week 1 of my 3 week taper before the big race on March 18th! Did a brutal 5 mile stroller run with my 3 year old yesterday. Been a while since I've done a stoller run, boy is he getting heavy, I almost died!

Hope to see everyone logging some productive miles - happy running!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #2  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Thank you!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #3  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I was here just a bit back in the fall when I first began running, but I've had a bunch of stops and starts with my running since then due to medical stuff. I shouldn't have to stop again until sometime in April though, so I'm really hoping to make some progress this month!

Longest run thus far has been 5 miles at a very slow pace (4.5 mph), but lately I've been trying to up the speed while running shorter distances. The other night I tried 30 minutes at 5.2 mph and had to slow down at 25 minutes, but tonight I did 3 miles at 5.0 mph (36 min) very comfortably. Since starting running again the past two weeks I've been doing walk/sprint intervals for 10 min or so after my steady-pace runs, and I'm wondering if that's helping? I really have no idea how to improve my speed and endurance, so any suggestions are totally appreciated!! I am limited to running 2-3x/week, as otherwise the pain in my left hip gets pretty bad.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #4  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

I've been running off and on for a couple of years now. I did a 10k and 5k last spring but then went through a really stressful period at work and we moved and running stopped. I want to get back at it again so I signed up for the same 10k I did last spring and I'm coming here for all the motivational help I can get.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #5  

Can I join in?
I did the c25k last fall (2010). I didn't really finish it, because when I got to week 4 or 5 I realized that I could jog the whole 3 miles, and needed to push myself to do it.
Unfortunately I haven't been as motivated as I should be, and have only been going pretty sporadically.

However, I now have renewed focus. I have made a pact with myself to go 3-4 times/ week and up my mileage speed as I can.
I run on a treadmill and average 4.6mph, so I am still pretty slow. I decided that the tradeoff for going for 3 miles is going to be slower speed, and a slow progression faster.
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Can I join too, please?

I did a thread of my own..DD and I have entered a 5k race on May20th! She is coming to stay for 3 days and we start training together tomorrow!

Our training schedule has been worked out by my other DD who is a marathon runner who is doing her first Triathlon today. She is being so supportive which helps no end.
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #7  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

^^Auto that is so cool! Good for you and your DD! Careful you don't catch that marathon bug, they're contagious!

It's awesome to see some new and returning faces!

Had a good week, was the last week of "normal miles" before things start to slow down and taper off before the race. I have a 12 miler today and then the next two weeks are pretty mellow. I'm realizing that "The Taper" is not just about a reduction in miles, but needing to taking it easy in my cross training as well. Did an intense strength training session Thursday and I'm sooooore. So I need to be careful of that and probably skip ST all together the week of the race.

I've been also reading every book I can get my hands on about running strategies - run less? run more? run fast? run slow? It gets a bit overwhelming but there are some very specific ways to train to acheive your goals and in addition to that finding the one that fits your lifestyle of is key importance. Right now I'm reading about the FIRST program and it's really appealing to me, it's pretty much what I do right now anyway (3 days of running +2-3 cross) but it incorporates some much more specific speed work and encourages running faster than I'm currently acustom, so this may be a natural progression for me. I can't help myself, I am a very goal oriented person who can't seem to funtion without some kind of major goal...so I'm of course wondering what is next for me after the marathon...and my only conclusion thus far is...get faster! I have a loooong wat to go in the speed department so that goal can take me pretty far.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #8  
Training for life!

Was not able to run since Mon .....but got out for 5 miles today it felt great my knee it STILL tweaky no matter what shoes or how I track going to try some knee strenthing workou and see how that goes. Its warmingup here ran at 10 am and it was in the 60's need to start earlier!
Good to see the new names!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone!

Yesterday was DH and my wedding anniversary yesterday so I allowed myself to overindulge and saw the scale jump up a little today from yesterday.

So, feeling guilty, I actually ran 9 miles on the treadmill today. That's 1 mile longer then the longest I've ever run. Made it in 94:51. Last year, I clearly remember when running at 4.8 MPH honestly felt like sprinting. I also - on the insistence of my good friend the marathon runner - tried an energy gel for the first time. I took it after 6 miles - about 64 minutes of running. I can't say that I felt any difference. So of course, I was pissed for having sucked down 110 calories.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #10  

Artist DD and I went out for our very first run today! DD managed to run further than I did. We both ran, then I walked a bit and ran a bit, and DD ran on ahead and came back to me.

I walked and ran, and ran about half the distance. The total distance was 2k and I ran about 1k and walked the rest. DD went maybe 3k as she ran ahead and circled back.

Marathon DD has just dropped in to see us with photos of her triathlon! Well we can dream!

It doesn't sound much does it but I am very very proud of myself and artist DD! (we are both very proud of marathon DD too but that goes without saying!)
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 174/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1

My March running goals is to be able complete 1 mile in less than 14 min.

Also in terms of distance, I want to run 30 miles total in the month of March.
jlee1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Yay March!

So I'm on week 6 of C25K, and the actual 5K is on the 17th, so my friends and I went out yesterday to complete the course. We did the program at first "warm up, run 9, walk 3, run 9" and then walked and ran and did some sprinting until we reached the end of the course. It was really run and I feel really good about the race. We were able to keep a good pace, except for one friend who we kept have to slow down, since she tends to take off and then end up hobbling later.

This coming weekend we are going to do some speed drills and hill work. I'm excited!

I found another 5K to sign up for in April, and want to do a 10K in May, June I have the swim & bike portions of a triathlon to do, then I'll be training for a whole sprint triathlon in September.

If you are looking for 5Ks or other races in your area, go to Active.com, they are all usually listed there.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #13  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

I went out running on Saturday for the first time in a few months. The run involved a lot more walking than I wanted it to but I was kind of proud of even being out there since it was really cold and windy (like take your breath away windy) and I'd just come back from running a sleepover for nine 7-8 year old girls.

I went 4 km altogether. I think I ran just under half of it in sprints. My goal for tonight's run is to make it to the halfway point of my route without stopping to walk. I think I can do it if I actually push myself a bit.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #14  
Training for life!

Ran 5 miles again today and it was pain free in the knees till almost 4milesYEAH Icut over 5 min off my time! did it in 55:13. Which is the fastest I have ran in awhile. It felt great. It was warm today! it is warming up here. Just got back from our afternoon dog walk {3 miles and its 77}. Here it comes!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #15  

Gosh,you all seem such great runners here.

Artist DD and I did our second run today. We are doing run/walk, 1 min of each and 14 reps. If we are not home again by that point we walk home.

I am not sure i enjoy it, but i love the feeling of virtue afterwards!

Have fun running today
Auto.