Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230 (heaviest)/215/117.5/107.5

Height: 5'4"

Default I hate when people comment on what I eat.

Especially at work, I cannot eat anything without someone commenting on it (5'4", 230 highest, 215 2009, 135 now, 108 goal, and I've been at this job through it all so everyone knew me at that weight). Like Sun Chips. I eat 1200 a day. But what makes up those 1200 is up to me. I hate it when comment on what I eat because then I feel guilty that I'm eating something "bad" and I don't enjoy it and "waste" the calories.

At home they just want me to eat more. And sometimes I go out with people and I just want to spend time with them and chat up (i.e. people from the gym) and not have to eat anything, but I find a coffee does the trick, they see me with something in my hands, and I don't have to take in calories

But it really ticks me off when people comment on what I eat or what I don't eat or what I should eat or how much or how little.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #2  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I have the same thing. DH used to do that for awhile until I talked to him about it and told him basically to leave me alone and let me make my own choices. My parents also did that for years (but we don't live anywhere near them so it's a non-issue now).

Can you just tell your co-workers to back off? Really, that doesn't seem appropriate at all for a work environment.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #3  

No, because then it'd be all about how prissy I am and how watch out and don't bother the princess, etc.

I didn't say it was a mature environment lol
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

This is why I never tell anybody I am dieting. There is something about going on a diet that will bring out the Diet Police , they will comment on every bite you take. Try to ignore them, you know what you are doing is right for you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I always use those times to educate people. I will say, "it's ok. I've accounted for the treat in my caloric intake for the day". Or, " as long as things add up to 1500 for the day, all is good." I figure maybe it will help them realize that you don't have to torture yourself to lose weight!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #6  

I never told anyone I was dieting but I lost 80 lbs so they can kind of tell I watch what I eat
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I get a lot of "are you going to eat THAT? I thought you're losing weight." and I say "Yep, and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it ;p"

Now some of my friends think I've turned into one of those annoying thin people who can eat anything they want.

I do eat anything I want...I just watch how much of it I eat!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

I find that when something others say to me really bothers me, it's because it hits the nerve of something I feel inside myself. For instance, I could care less if people comment on what I eat at this point. I know I'm doing the right thing for me and my body and they can think what they want. I also think things about what they eat, I'm just too polite to say anything.
Is it possible that maybe you are questioning yourself on some level and that's why this gets to you so much?
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #9  

Well, it's like today, I came in with a smoothie and they wanted to know where I got it from and why I had a smoothie since I never drink them. It just seems like I have to justify everything I eat. It gets tiring after a while and you want people to stop looking at you. I hate eating in front of certain groups because they will watch what you eat (like at work).
Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

I don't necessarily get comments, but ppl certainly look at what I eat. I like it, it's extra motivation for me to set a good example for those around me, and keeps me on plan. I eat great quantities of food during the day (lots of small meals), (and take up a lot of space in the fridge at work!) and as I'm trimming down, I seem to be eating more and more.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Well, it's like today, I came in with a smoothie and they wanted to know where I got it from and why I had a smoothie since I never drink them. It just seems like I have to justify everything I eat. It gets tiring after a while and you want people to stop looking at you. I hate eating in front of certain groups because they will watch what you eat (like at work).
Well, you lost A LOT of weight. I think people are going to watch you because they want to know how you did it and probably think you're hiding something from them.

I honestly can't count the number of times people have accused me of doing something else besides eating less and exercising or just dismissing it all as my relatively young age (which certainly HELPS but doesn't mean that you can't lose weight when you're older as the amount of successful people older than me on here demonstrates!). Then again I'm about to hit 24 so it's not as if I'm a teenager, but considering most of the women at my gym are in their 40s I am a baby to them.

I noticed people watching me all the time. It's annoying, sure, but I'm betting they're just wondering if there is some magic potion in your smoothie.

I'm not saying any of it is right, of course, but it certainly is understandable.

Last edited by sontaikle; 03-01-2012 at 05:30 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #12  

I have a cousin who consistently asks me "the secret." Start with water exercises. I can't stand the smell of chlorine. Well take a group class. I feel like I'm out of breath (Uh, isn't that the POINT?? I feel like I'm about to pass out all the time and I love it!!). What do you eat? Anything. But you don't eat carbs. I do. But you don't eat bread. I do. Pasta? Yep. Rice? Yep.

But what is THE SECRET???
Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #13  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
No, because then it'd be all about how prissy I am and how watch out and don't bother the princess, etc.

I didn't say it was a mature environment lol

I dislike it SO VERY MUCH when co-workers eyeball me when I'm eating.

I know my boss and his wife make comments about what I lug into work every day. A container of my main food; a smaller one of yogurt, two big bottles of water. My co-workers just eat something from the deli.

I used to take so much offense at their comments and that they just cannot ignore when I eat something. It's been years, so I guess I just have gotten used to it.

One of my tactics is saying something like, "Oh, you're not really interested in what I'm eating, are you?" Kinda puts it on them that they are being unreasonably nosy. Doesn't always work with my boss though, he is incredibly um, dense and replies "I'm not?"
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

How long have you been at your goal weight? I'd suggest just keep doing what you are doing. The longer you are at a certain weight. (actually any weight for long and extended period of time), people lose interest in talking about it. I've been at my goal for over 2.5 years and trust me, in small town Nebraska, when a chick loses nearly 200 pounds, it IS the talk of the town for a long time, but now...it's hardly ever brought up unless I start talking about it.

People are used to people losing weight and then gaining it back. They are the people who make the headlines, and unfortunately they are just fun to talk about for some folks. Just stick to it, follow your plan, and eventually the next fat chick to lose weight will be in the spot light.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote