Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #1  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Thumbs down Goal 2 - Epic Fail

Goal 2: 249 by 02/29/2012 - EPIC FAIL

Today's Weight: 252.8 up 2 pounds since Friday.

This week just continues to get better and better and better.

Last edited by SmallSteps; 02-29-2012 at 02:28 PM.
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This is why I hate time-based goals.

Since hitting your last goal point, you've lost 5.2 lbs. That's 5.2 lbs gone, and that's a VICTORY! Just because you didn't make an arbitrary checkpoint you set for yourself doesn't mean that the 5.2 lbs you've lost don't count. They're a success that needs to be celebrated.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #3  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
This is why I hate time-based goals.
mandalinn82: I know I have lost 5.2 pounds since my first goal and they are being celebrated. I do however believe I need to rethink my goal process and come up with a better plan.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I always framed my goals on things I could control. I know, for example, that I can be totally on plan and still have the scale go up, due to hormonal fluctuations, sodium, etc. But I CAN control what exercise I do, or what foods I eat. So I'd do goals like "30 days of exercise in a row", "1200 minutes of exercise in March", or "21 days in a row under 1500 calories". Those are all goals that are within my power to achieve, unlike scale goals (I mean, to a degree, I control the scale over time, but I don't control it on a day to day basis with my actions - hormones, weight lifting, and other things all make it go haywire).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #5  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

Do you weigh yourself everyday? I notice that I will flucuate even two pounds, but in the end, I'll definitely have lost weight. Maybe you caught yourself on a high flucuation point. Give yourself til friday before getting down you'll probably be surprised.
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Mandalinn's 100% correct. You cannot control the scale, at all. Basing goals, especially time based ones, on things like the number on the scale is asking for failure. You absolutely must frame your goals in doable, positive terms. Instead of weighing _______ by X date, why not say "I will eat between 1600-1800 calories every day, without overages, for the next two months" and then weigh yourself at the end and celebrate your inevitable losses? You didn't fall two or three pounds short of your goal, you succeeded at getting five pounds off!

Negative self talk will destroy you faster than any happy meal. In this, you are in control. Speak kindly to yourself, live out actions that have positive connotations and results, and always celebrate the glass half full, not the little bit that spilled. And that goes for life in general, not just weight loss.

Now, granted, even obese I was one of those unbearably cheerful people, but I have also loved myself at every weight I've been at, and every slow pound gone has been a victory. I highly suggest you try a positive outlook and positive goals, I think the benefits will surprise you
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #7  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyG View Post
I might not have the correct info, but if your sig is correct then you have maintained a loss of 6.2 pounds since your first goal was met 29 days ago and I think you were down another 2 until this water weight came along so that is over 2 pounds a week, right? The water weight will erase itself on its own. So, see... you have averaged a loss on the high end of a healthy loss each week. Be proud of yourself, young lady! *stern look with hands on my hips*

Since we both have a ways to go then 2 pounds a week is still possible, but that doesn't mean that we are ALWAYS going to get that. We will have fluctuations just like the ones that have less to lose...unfortunately...so hang in! Depending on when you weigh, there are 5 Fridays in March...otherwise I wouldn't shoot for more than 8 per month and be happy with 4-6.

Yes Ms G you have your information correct. And don't look at me that way! LOL!! I am re doing my goals as we speak and not depending so much on dates and more on progress.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #8  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitorry View Post
Do you weigh yourself everyday? I notice that I will flucuate even two pounds, but in the end, I'll definitely have lost weight. Maybe you caught yourself on a high flucuation point. Give yourself til friday before getting down you'll probably be surprised.

Thanks Alitorry I am hoping by friday which is my normal official weigh in days that I go back down to at least where I started the week.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #9  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Mandalinn's 100% correct. You cannot control the scale, at all. Basing goals, especially time based ones, on things like the number on the scale is asking for failure. You absolutely must frame your goals in doable, positive terms. Instead of weighing _______ by X date, why not say "I will eat between 1600-1800 calories every day, without overages, for the next two months" and then weigh yourself at the end and celebrate your inevitable losses? You didn't fall two or three pounds short of your goal, you succeeded at getting five pounds off!

Negative self talk will destroy you faster than any happy meal. In this, you are in control. Speak kindly to yourself, live out actions that have positive connotations and results, and always celebrate the glass half full, not the little bit that spilled. And that goes for life in general, not just weight loss.
Thank you Mama I am very happy I have lost those 5 pounds and I am working on a new way to track my goals right now!